Posted By:
Posted By:coloru2 on: 10/21/2004 7:04:02 AM

Display:
Author: Thread: Hairmaven
coloru2
Silver Member

Hairmaven
Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2004 7:04:02 AM
Can you explain to me the differences between the 3 types of layering you show on your DVD? I know you are probably explaining when and why to use each type of layering, but it's hard for me to hear what you're saying on there. The background music interferes with your voice. So if you don't mind, please tell me when and why I would use a square, round, or v-layering technique. Again, I have learned so much from that one DVD on cutting, than I did an entire year in school.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2004 9:00:38 PM
3 types of layering. 1. What I call "V" layering. If you pull all the hair on each side of the head and cut in the center of the head the center will be shorter and create a "v" shape when cross checked. This is the most simple type of layering that is good for most cases and lengths. Also allows you to cut the layering shorter in the front and longer in the back (which is very popular now a days). I'll use this type of layering most of the time. This type of layering will leave more hair at the perimeter of the shape and give you the least amount of layering. 2. Square Layering is used when you have a one length shape that you want a lot of layers without making your silhouette shape round, square layering will keep the shape square. This is probably the most difficult type of layering, but is also done the least. The technique is also good for shorter cuts that you don't want to "round out" as it keeps the shape more of a natural squarish head shape. 3. Round layering is done when you either want the most layering and/or when you want the layering to be really short on top while keeping the longer lengths. Think most longer TiGi shapes and Motley Crue. With round layering you can cut the top really really short and still blend with waist long lengths. This type of layering is probably the most versatile, but also really easy to cut the sides too short and end up with a mullet shape (which if that is what you are going for is fine, but if your not, well, you might be in trouble). On shorter lengths it will put the most layering in the shape AND round out the outer shape. I hope this helps.

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, October 22, 2004 6:02:29 PM
Thanks a lot Hairmaven. It does help. I've never done the V-layering, but I'm gonna start. The round is what I do the most.