Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Men's clipper cut.....with long bangs?!
Posted By:
Posted By:ChopNHeadz on: 10/20/2004 5:58:20 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Men's clipper cut.....with long bangs?!
ChopNHeadz

Men's clipper cut.....with long bangs?!
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 5:58:20 PM
I just cut my uncle's hair for the first time. He gets a haircut every 3 months. I used a #3 on the sides and a #4 on the top. When he came in, his hair was pretty long, especially the top. He wanted it clipped short (3 and 4) but he wanted his bangs to be long (down mid-forehead). How in the world is this supposed to be done? I picked a spot to stop the clipper at, where the bangs begin. It looked retarted! How do you do this without it looking really horrible? Is there some special way you can blend it? Is there a general rule of thumb about the clipper guard #'s that I should know when leaving longer bangs? Obviously, there's a way because his old hairdresser used to do it. It was my first time cutting his hair, and I'm distraught. I should know this. In my opinion, it looks better when the top is cut all one length, especially with low guard #'s. However, I cannot instruct people on what to like or want. Pleaseeeeee help.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2004 11:25:48 PM
question... Are you a hairstylist?

ChopNHeadz

Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2004 5:55:46 AM
Yes, I am a hairdresser.  I am just curious, why do you ask?  I've only been having my license for about 8 months now; so, if you feel that I am inexperienced or should know how to do this, that may be the reason.  Nonetheless, I am a cosmetologist :)

statikman
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2004 9:02:02 AM
Overdirection back to the point you stopped clippering would help. I would cut my sides and back, then take a thin mohawk from crown to front hair line. Slightly have this mohawk elevating as it moves to the hairline. Even if you have the section perfectly horizontal, you will create length at the fringe because of the rounded slope of the front of the skull. Just hold a comb horizontally from crown to fringe and imagine all the hair coming up to the comb. You will see the front will have to be longer to reach the comb, leaving you with more length.
I personally don't use clippers at all unless I'm shaving heads, but I don't think you should be using clippers on the top of the head unless you're a barber. Clip the sides if you want, but at least put a little man-made effort into it.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, October 21, 2004 10:06:02 AM
Well put Statik... The only reason I asked, was because there are a LOT of non-client-do-their-hair-at-home people trolling this site.  I am not going to type for days trying to explain a haircut to someone who has no business asking me! Or should I say I have no business answering...  Since Statik already recommended a good answer, what I can add to that is find out if you have an American Crew rep near you that can get you set up for some clipper classes.  They are great for people whether experienced clipper cutters or not.  Their cuts are stylish- not the typical super-cut-barber-shop cut.