Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Gay Stylist VS Straight Stylist
Posted By:
Posted By: on: 9/21/2004 11:46:33 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Gay Stylist VS Straight Stylist

Gay Stylist VS Straight Stylist
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 11:46:33 PM
Many people say Gays have the upper hand...whats your opinion?

JD
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 9:50:41 AM

Why would gay have the upper hand?

I know I have heard clients comment on "gay" stylists and how energetic they are..flamboyant..etc. Maybe that is what you are asking? Other than that, I do not see a difference in being a straight stylists or a gay stylists.

JD
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 9:50:55 AM

Why would gay have the upper hand?

I know I have heard clients comment on "gay" stylists and how energetic they are..flamboyant..etc. Maybe that is what you are asking? Other than that, I do not see a difference in being a straight stylists or a gay stylists.

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 9:51:10 AM
sorry guys, had "tecnical difficulites" with posting this. Seems to be fixed. :)

Cosmo78

no difference
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 9:59:34 PM

I my opinion there is no difference.  Its just a stereotype.  Just like the notion that men whether gay or straight are better than women.

Oh and another thing, not all gay stylists are flamboyant or effiminate.  In my opinion men and women whether straight or gay can be great at doing hair.

optikad

Girls Vs. Guy's Girls Vs. Girls Guys Vs. Guy's
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2005 8:17:01 PM
Just came across this thread. And It applys to me. I am a Male Straight HairStylist/Instructor. Oh yes and I do Make Also. For my Photography.
I work In a Salon that is busy and Edgey. We have about 12 Stylist. And up till just recently we had more Males than Females. But only one "Gay Stylist". He was no busier than anyone else. Yes I'll admit he was a bit Novelty. He was very Charismatic and fun. But Also he was just as moody if not more than most. It is a question I get asked alot when people find out what I do for Proffesion. Its usually at some sort of social gathering. Party's, BB-Q's, what ever. The Lady's as soon as they find out I'm a Stylist. They want to know what I would do to them. And the Men give me a looking over again. Thinking is he gay. I know its on the tip of there tounges but wont ask usually. But when I do talk about it here is my response if I feel they are questioning me about my orientation. " My job is to work with beautiful Women every day, and make them feel great about themselves. And I get to meet Interesting people Male or Female. I have had the opportunity to work with famous Models, Actors, Actresses, Musicians, and everyday people. (Then I turn it around) What do you do? Computer cubicle? Construction site with dirty, sweaty men?.. "
By then they want to know more. And it helps I am usually rolling with a couple of beautiful Girls. Who are wearing some of my work.
But Back to the point. I dont think Gay,Straight,Curved, or Bent. Makes any difference.
The things you and other's should be focusing on is: Education, Dedication, Skill refinement, Passion, Causes you believe in, and just knowing who you are.... And I blelieve the side effect of those actions will be success, clientele, and Happyness.
So always take the oportunity to educate somone not in the know.. You are just as maketable as anyone else.
P.S. I'm not gay but my girlfriend is.. (No really)
Enjoy your day. Because your are all "Day Makers".... Look it up

xpressionista

gay stylists
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 9:33:14 PM

xpressionista

Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 9:33:25 PM

xpressionista

the upper hand
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2005 9:33:54 PM
flamboyant stylists get all the attention.  Ive worked with so many male stylists that orientation is no longer an issue.  i personally dont judge men by the way they walk and talk in the salon, because if they are around women all day, its bound to rub off.  in many cases, men are more successful in the salon because they know how to work the clients.  some of them are just the bomb because they look at the industry as a career and are more confident moving forward.  take everyones favorite johnathan for example.  he took his career to reality television despite the fact that females basically run it.  yes he throws major "BF" 's (know what i mean?) but he has a girlfriend and hes all about making his career happen.  And men basically shape this industry ( sassoon, the 4 mascolo bros, the Paul Mitchell team, Robert Cromeans)... I think us ladies better step our game up because we work SO hard, yet the men know the secret to stay on top.  I never thought, no matter what the clients believe because we hair care professionals know better, that holding scissors or a color brush makes a man gay.  They were probably gay before they enrolled at the local beauty academy.  I dont think that by simply being a man that youre the greatest thing since robitussin  either ( thats some good stuff).  but I do believe that the squeaky wheel gets the oil and that we can all be flamboyant, and thats what gives you the upper hand.

runswithscissors
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 5:59:25 AM
I had a new client come to me a straight male.  He was comming from the very popular overpriced salon down the road.  He made a strange comment.  He said I normally have gay men cut my hair.  I said oh yeah?  And he replied, Well sometimes they make me uneasy, but boy they really no how to cut hair!  (this guy had a very simple clipper cut)  I really didn't know how to respond. 

Liz

in my opinion...
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 7:46:24 PM
Women can also be have an edge in this business.  In my shop where there is a large male  clientele and because I work with a staff of mostly guys I can really turn it around and shake things up a bit.  Men love to have their haircut by a woman and have her run her hands thru their hair and tell them how nice their hair looks and how great they look!  Men love to be pampered and complemented too.

salondiva
Silver Member

i cant believe it said my post would not post, but it posted 5 times!!!! sorry!!!!!
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2005 5:09:57 AM

In my humble opinion (ok not so humble ) women go to men stylists (does not matter if they are gay or not) simply because a man is taking the time and giving them ATTENTION that they are not getting at home....i work with a straight guy, and the women flock to him ...he is good at what he does, and he is sympathetic to their circumstances, and he LISTENS to them......the women will tell him all of their problems (yes my clients tell me theirs too) but a man putting his hands in your hair if you are a woman and tellling you you look great is something that no female stylist will ever be able to do with the same results !!!  Male stylists use their maleness as a definite advantage, even if they are gay......how many women out their don't like for a man to tell them how great they look, and pamper them and listen to them??????

hues4you
Platinum Member

I will report problem
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2005 11:43:23 AM

Dear Salondiva-

I have noticed a lot of post being duplicated, and it has done the same to me.  When you click post - it does nothing.......kinda gets stuck.  I have been deleting multiple posts, and I did yours.  I just want everyone to know I am going to report the problem.  Thanks for understanding.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

www.behindthechair.com

nine eight

optikad
Posted: Saturday, September 16, 2006 8:54:14 PM

Optikad,

Very interesting post.  I am a career hobbiest.  I cut my family and friends hair all the time.  Whenever I am at a social event and people see my wife their eyes light up at her and they ask where she gets her hair done?  She tells them me and I get a whole lot of attention!  Anyway,  I am just about to sign the dotted line to get my education.  However, I am 40 years old and have a successful business career and family.  I need to know if there is a more productive way.  I am not interested in nails or make up.  I could do hair any day anytime.  I am tireless.  Sorry if I offend anyone.  You should all be commended foryour dedication.

Let me know if you have any ideas!!

9-8

Renzo

Gay Stylist vs Straight Stylist???
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 6:59:20 PM
What does ones sexual orientation have to do with how well they do hair?  A clients main concern is how well you are at your craft, not who your are sleeping with.  Why are people still discussing such a ridiculous topic like this one in this day and age?  Some of the most famous male Hair Designers in this industry are straight, but is that important?

doinitright
Bronze Member

There is no cure for ignorance...
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 12:52:51 PM
As Bill Engvell would say you can't cure stupid.....
This is based on my experiences and beliefs, if it offends anyone I am sorry.  This is what makes this country and this site so great.