Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Gay Stylist VS Straight Stylist
Posted By:
Posted By: on: 9/21/2004 11:46:08 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Gay Stylist VS Straight Stylist

Gay Stylist VS Straight Stylist
Posted: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 11:46:08 PM
Many people say Gays have the upper hand...whats your opinion?

Ha

Posted: Friday, September 24, 2004 8:41:50 AM
I think men in General have the upper hand.  Not saying that women aren't good,  I just think that on the client side of things a lot of women prefer a man's touch and opinion.  I think for women as stylists we have to be really confident about our work and know exactly what we're talking about in order to get the same kind of respect.  I find some women/stylists are too wishy washy with their clients, where as men will be straight to the point.... I think I'm gonna get a lot flak for this comment.  Also, men are generally ballsyer when it comes to trying new things on people and that gives them a bit of an edge - most women get kinda empathetic when clients show any sign of not being sure, and that happens to me sometimes.  My best friend also happens to be a stylist and he's a guy, so I've seen these things first hand, we sometimes share clients - it's interesteing to see the way clients react to him as opposed to me.    

Ha

Posted: Friday, September 24, 2004 8:42:10 AM
I think men in General have the upper hand.  Not saying that women aren't good,  I just think that on the client side of things a lot of women prefer a man's touch and opinion.  I think for women as stylists we have to be really confident about our work and know exactly what we're talking about in order to get the same kind of respect.  I find some women/stylists are too wishy washy with their clients, where as men will be straight to the point.... I think I'm gonna get a lot flak for this comment.  Also, men are generally ballsyer when it comes to trying new things on people and that gives them a bit of an edge - most women get kinda empathetic when clients show any sign of not being sure, and that happens to me sometimes.  My best friend also happens to be a stylist and he's a guy, so I've seen these things first hand, we sometimes share clients - it's interesteing to see the way clients react to him as opposed to me.    

Ha

Posted: Friday, September 24, 2004 6:39:40 PM
whoops! Sorry everybody.. user error

britboy
Platinum Member

males vs. Females.
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 9:44:00 AM

This discussion is moot for a very simple reason, and that is that only 9% of Cosmetologists are male, whioch means that as much as females might prefer a male stylist, they don't have the option.

can you imagine how busy those 9% would be?

PRISMATIC
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, September 27, 2004 7:01:59 PM
It is all  relative. I'm the only guy working in my salon and I do have the highest # of requests. The reason why I think that is because I take the most interest as a professional . Quite frankly, most the people I work with are in just for the money. It is a job for them. Level of professionalism and education is quite low.I don't think has much to do with gender. Although, some people put in for either male or female for various reasons.Ultimately, they are after your skills and personality.

SynthFetish

Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 5:00:50 PM
Believe me. I am not nearly as busy as this thread would make me out to be. But my sales %'s are quite high for the volume I do. Guess I have a nack for talking people into color.

No More conscience, no more pain. The now, the past, the future stay the same.

Glenda L

Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 7:56:49 AM

Okay I am bit confused here.  The beginning of the thread was gay vs straight.  Is that implying that all men who are hairstylists are gay?  News flash... they aren't all gay.

Do men have the upper hand in this industry?  Only if you feel intimidated by them in some way.

Do women prefer a man stylist?  Some do, some don't, so what?

I have worked with both men and women and what impresses me is their talent, not their gender.

Glenda L

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 2:23:28 PM
I personally think that many female clients allow male stylists to speak to them in a way which they would never accept from a female stylist.

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 4:14:09 PM
i agree alesia.  somethings are received more readily when a guy says it to a female client.

Tien

Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 9:04:36 PM
gay or not does'nt matter, if you look at the MASTERS in the hair industry they are straight.

Vidal Sassoon, Trevor Sorbie, Robert Lobetta

Basic rule of thumb, to help you succeed in building a clientell, you should act avaliable, but never be avaliable. I saw quite a few lost clients due to them finding out their stylist was married or seeing someone. Since we work a lot with our hands we often don't wear wedding bands while at work. This gives a misconception of being avaliable. Once a co-worker was talking about his wife and kids to another client while taking 2 clients at once. This girl jumped up and was saying YOU DID"NT TELL ME YOU WERE MARRIED? and made a scene, never saw her again.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 8:55:20 PM
Wow, that is so crazy to me.  I have never gotten that.  Of course i never understood why people were like that with celebrities.  Like i heard when one of the Jacksons got married (I forget which one, and which marriage, lol) that he lost a lot of his fans.  To me it's kind of insulting.  I would like to think someone liked my music or esepcially as a hairstylist someone went to me because they thought i was talented and not because they thought they could get a date with me.  I just thought of this as a great topic.  I myself would never date a client or a coworker at all, so none of my clients have a chance.  Not that i have all these clipper cuts beating down my door, but it's funny because i'll have a male client come in and he has a girlfriend, but by the end of the session he's trying to flirt with me and telling me there relationship is on the rocks.  Give me a break, lol.  But anyways, would you ever date a client or a coworker?

cosmoteach

dating a client?
Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2007 1:14:52 PM

BAD IDEA! not only do you lose a client but you lose the money either way it works out. If it does work out now you do their hair for free and if it doesn't work out you lose them any way.

People come to a hairstylist to look and feel better. Treat them with kindness.

if you let them think there is more than that then they might get insulted. Imagine guys if your proctologist was flirting with you would you feel comfortable or your insurance salesman for that matter. Or women if the guy that came to install your home alarm system was asking you personal questions? Would you be concerned?

Do you flirt with the people you do buisness with? People are more impressed by talent and knowledge that any amount of flatttery