Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Advice on Shears......
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:31:16 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Advice on Shears......
Lisa

Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 6:13:00 PM
What kind of shears do you guys use? I am thinking of getting either the Joewell fx or the new fromm infinity shears.

What do you guys think?

Lisa

Red

Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 7:19:00 PM
I love my Joewell's, though I dont have the same model you are considering. The only complaint that I have about them, is if the hair is too wet, they tend to push the hair and you cant get the precision line you need for some cuts, like bobs.

Hair130

Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 10:19:00 AM
I am left handed. I have vortex v2 shears, rusk, and my favorite shears are by kasho!

lori

Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 1:32:00 PM
The Fromm shears are pretty good - though they too will push the hair on occasion, and sometimes the tip will grab- - eek! But then maybe I am due for a new pair!

Dabonbon

Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 6:34:00 AM
Hi Lisa --

I am a firm believer in the Japanese product as far as shears are concerned. I currently use a pair of off-set Kashos and I love them. I haven't had them sharpened since I purchased them 5 years ago, and they still cut beautifully. My next shear, however, will be a pair of Hikaris. 565$, but they are an awesome shear. No pushing, no bending the hair, and there is that heavenly silence when you cut hrough the hair...no crunching. Just like butter. I've used Joewell, Centrix, and Fromm. I've test-driven many others. Nothing compares to what I use now.

Doug

Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2002 11:11:00 AM
I've been cutting 25 years and developed thumb problems, just got the new Rusk blades w/ the swivel thumb. Weird at first, But has now taken all the pressure off my thumb and wrist. I don't lock my hand in place any longer and just move my thumb, I can use my whole hand. I can also keep my elbow down and closer to my waist. Much more comfortable and relaxed and can put the shears in unique positions that were awkward.

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, February 01, 2002 8:03:00 AM
I purchased the Vortex offset shears with the swivel thumb, because my carpal tunnel was getting so bad. However, they pushed the hair and grabbed at the tip form day one. I asked my distributor where I bought them to replace them and got alot of flack, but they finally relented. So, when I got my new shears they did the same thing..However, this time they would not exchange them, they just told me that I wasn't doing something right. So then, I sent them into the factory to have their people look at them, and they daid there was nothing wrong with them. Eventually I just threw them away.. ANYBODY have this problem, or is there really something wrong with my techniqual skills?

connie

Posted: Friday, February 01, 2002 1:49:00 PM
Ive owned centrix shears for over 10 years started out with the 4.5 and now have had the vortex for about 7 love them just be sure not to let any one sharpen them send them back to centrix directly

lyricax
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 7:15:00 PM
Doug, which model of the Rusk swivel shears did you get?

wackadoo
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2002 8:28:00 AM
Calling on the advice of everyone !!!
I need to find a new pair of shears!! Here's my requirements.. I have the early twinges of Carpal tunnel and it's getting worse. Also, I get severe thumb cramping when I'am busy busy.I already own a good pair that have offset fingerholes but it's not enough. I'am thinking that something with a swivel thumb is the next step.. Can anybody reccomend a good pair and where to get them, websites etc. The suppliers in my area only carry Fromme, Jowell, and Centrix.. I'am not impressed with any of these,, Cost really isn't that big of factor,, I just want to continue doing what I love.

Also,, if you are a helix a Jovah witness,, let's not get that started again,, NOT interested.

Thanks you guys!!

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2002 10:24:00 AM
Wacka, Its very likely not the shears but the way you hold them that is causing the carpal tunnel, I have been cutting for 39 years(yikes!) and dont have any real problems, I do visit a chiropractor who takes care of my neck spine and shoulders, and I asked her, she says visit a chiropractor and get advice instead of hurting. The rotating thunb shears wil help you.I like hardcore shears by Toni&Guy and also American crew do a great 6 1/2 shear, try to keep your shears sharp will help,so you cut without aggresion,you could try this trick, hold your shears in your usual position,close the blades and push them into the scoop between the thumb and forefinger ,now open with ONLY the thumb,thats the only movement you should use, when you learn that, you can modify.but see a chiropractor before you consider surgery.

sparklehair
Silver Member

Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2002 10:27:00 AM
that was my post above and i forgot about the Kashos, I would like to try the hikari,where do you get them?i will look at the mis west show. The two shears i mention are jap made.

wackadoo
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2002 6:26:00 PM
Thanks sparklehair,
I do see a chiro about once every three weeks..I LOVE him! I do hand excercises and all that your supposed to do. I can control the pain, I just don't want to get it any worse.. I've been snooping around the web, Have you seen the Matsuzaki. www.matsuzaki.com look at the MWQ series, not only do the swivel vertically, but also horizontally. I think they are about 650 us dollars.. iff I'am converting my Euros correctly.
I just find it difficult to pay for a pair of shears I've never held.. I'am taking your advice though, and I'am going to hunt down the the others that you suggested and give them a look over.

bon

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 11:02:00 PM
I am a firm believer in the Hikari shears. Costly, but well worth every dime. I have my shears sharpened every 6 months (send them back to Hikari for $35). I've had a pair for 10 years that are still great. Just invested in a new pair of 5 1/2" - paid $600. Put them in your hand and you will definately notice the difference. All others will feel like Fiskars!

wackadoo
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 8:23:00 AM
Thanks for all the input,
The only problem is that I really need to hold them in my hands, The next show that I plan to attend in my area is in Oct. and I guess that'll I just need to wait until then so I'll have a chance to see many different models up close and personal. I really appreciate you guys giving me some names though.. now I'll definately have a game plan when it comes to buying.

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 7:42:00 AM
I need some recommendations on some shears. The thing is, I usually use a 6-6 1/2 shear and have trouble finding them. Does anyone know of who carries a good pair? I read about American Crew having them.. are they good? Please let me know.

Brazzy Bob

Posted: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 10:30:00 PM
NIC and Kokoro are the Bomb!

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2002 8:57:00 PM
Where do I find these shears?

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, June 18, 2002 10:19:00 PM
Has anyone used Jaguar shears? What do yo think of them?

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 10:30:00 AM
I got my Jaguars at a hair show 2 years ago and LOVE them.

CurlyQ

Posted: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 11:17:00 AM
I have a pair of Jag's and they're pretty good., especially for the price. They stay sharp for a long time, also.

d.s.

Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 8:20:00 AM
Does anyone know where I can get Hikari shears?

susieshear

Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 11:01:00 AM
I use the Altieri Power Hair shears in fact allof us at our shop uses their portfolios which consist of chunking shears, texturizing shears, softshears which detaches from each other, monster curved shears, and a pair of 5" precision shears. Have tried many different shears thru the years but nothing compares to the sharpness and precision that these sweet sweet shears provide!!! THey are expensive but you get what you pay for in the long run. We have other salons in our town calling and asking How do you you cut so and so hair then actually asking if we would cut come down to their salon to cut their hair. We didn't go, invited them up to our salon but no one ever showed up I guess they thought about all their clientes wanting the same hct. but they would have to be sent up to our salon to recieve anything remotely close. Not that we think we are better than they are we just have the tools to create the most awesome hcts imaginable.

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 4:15:00 PM
Susieshear.. can you tell me where I can get a pair?????

susieshear

Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2002 12:35:00 PM
well, we attended their academy in Las Vegas this past December. We actually ordered the shears from there. They did have a website can't seam to locate it anywhere. We are going to Hairworld and attending an exclusive Bootcamp that the Alrieri invited us to attend. Will try to remember to ask what's up with the website.

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 12:27:00 AM
Where can I get Rusk shears?

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2003 1:16:00 PM
Try Marshall beauty supply.

gayle

Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 10:47:00 PM
I am a student looking for a good pair of shears. I am interested in the Kokoro, Kashos, Kikari and Matsuzaki. Don't feel comfortable ordering them over the net. Want to feel them first. Any ideas where they can be purchased?

Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 8:22:00 PM
I've use Nics a Japanese shear for years i bought my first pair in 87 my boss just recently accidently picked them up with some towels and washed them. Man I could of killed him I was depressed I've had Froms with the rotating thumb and not to impressed they dulled quickly.Centrix was a joke. I recently was able to purchase my second pair of Nics for $320.00 and I'm so happy again I had the first pair for 16 years they were incredible and I'm sure these will be the same by far the best investment I've made.

Travis F

Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 6:04:00 PM
How many of you have pain to the point where you are/will seek a medical professionals help?

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 6:28:00 PM
???

Tien

Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 2:06:19 AM
My boss has a set of Kasho Green series runs over $550 each, but they're the only scissors I'll ever buy, glides smooth, cuts clean, and it NEVER wears out, also he's had it for 5 years without ever sharpening them once, and they still beat out my vogetti shears I just bought 3 months ago for $200.

statikman
Silver Member

Kashos
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 11:20:49 AM
If you pay more than $450 for Kasho Green, your being burned. I paid $400 for my Milleniums, which are the "best" Kasho makes, and I have to sharpen once a year. When you get to the level of higher model Kasho, Nic, Hikari, Kokoro and a few others, it's not at all about scissor quality anymore. It's about balance, comfort and personal preferance. All the steel is the same. My Kashos never come out anymore because I'm using Sensei 7 inch with a swivel thumb. So comfy and fun that I don't care if they are poor quality shears. I know a guy that buys one new pair of $70 shears every year. Rather than honing, he gives the old ones away. In ten years, he spends $700 and nothing on maintenance. Sounds pretty smart to me.

CJ

More than one shear?
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 9:22:38 PM
I'm getting the impression that most of you are using one shear all the time? No wonder there is Carpal Tunnel!
People used to laugh at me with my 4 shears, and 3 texturising shears, all in my scissorbelt. All the cutting shears are slightly different, as are the texturisors. The less repetetive motion we do, the less likely we are to have CT!

Oh, and I have Rusk, Kasho, Joewell (a few different ones), Paul Mitchell (long and curved).

I also have my shears tested about 3 times a year, as if they dull even a little, the way you use them changes, causing stress to the tendons. Most of my shears I've had for at least 8 years, with bi-annual honing/sharpenings.

tdub
Bronze Member

sensei?
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 9:46:27 AM

I am looking into buying a new pair of shears.  I have the rusk swivel thumb 5".  I love them, but need something new.  I would like to stick with a swivel thumb, it's very comfortable.  I was looking at the sensei 'revo' shear.  it looks good on the site, it has alot of good features.  it's going for $419.  which is about all I can spend right now. 

I was wondering if anyone has used this shear, or has experience with this brand.  I want to get the most for my money.

Becky

Redken shears????
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 7:59:33 PM
Has anyone purchased or used any Redken shears??? I bought the blue pair called saphire but I am having trouble with them not staying sharp. Other than that I love them. Anyone else having this problem or do I have a bad pair of shears???

tdub
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 4:10:20 AM
well, since no one replied, I went ahead and bought the shear, the guy on the phone said I could exchange it if I didn't like it. he said it's one of his favorites. but he probably says that to everyone. oh well, I'll let you all know how they work out when I get them.

m2
Platinum Member

tdub
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2005 6:12:02 AM

tdub~
was looking at the sensei shears at a convention in vegas.  never did get back to that booth but the shears looked and felt nice.  please do let us know what you think of them.  i've had matsusakis, kokoros, hikaris, jaquars, via, hardcore and several others.  still my favorites are the centrix.  the V5's are great. right now i'm using the really slim ones, a recent 'release' - no swivel.  i've had several styles of the centrix. the V5's and this slim shear are my favorites.
       hope the sensei's are great-look forward to your opinion.

jay@vibe

Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2005 7:06:28 PM

I have owned sensei shears and find them to be a great shear - especially for the price. I use TIGI Hardcore 6.5" right now - and a pair of Anthony Mascolo signature 6.8" - love them. You'll love the sensei shears - they served me well for many years.

A little off the subject - recent studies suggest that carpel tunnel is not caused by repetition - it appears to be genetic - they won't even call it repetitive stress syndrome anymore...

mden

Posted: Tuesday, February 01, 2005 7:16:36 PM
i have a pair of the vortex shears as well, with the off set swivel thumb, the off set swivel thumb is what sold me on them, i love them, and i have never had a problem with them, they are very nice. i also have some jaguars, which arent bad. i like them, they arent "top of the line" but they are still as good as new . and work like a charm;)

tdub
Bronze Member

I forgot about this thread
Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 6:13:59 AM
I ended up getting the sensei 'revo' shear. they were really well made, but they didn't fit my hand as well as I would have liked. I called the company where I bought them (precisionshears.com) and we consulted about everything, then he (guy) suggested the buttercut 'avanti slim'. I LOVE these shears, they were a little more ($450) but definitely worth it! they cut straighter than any other shear, and the texturizing is like... well, and knife thru butter. anyway, I was really happy my purchase, and I highly suggest precisionshears.com for any big shear purchase. the customer service was unbelievable, they were so acommodating (sp?). they also have awesome clips. lots of different colors and only $10 for 4.

I know it sounds like I'm advertising, but I think that if you find a good company, one you can trust, you should pass it on.

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 12:04:57 PM
thanks for the review tdub.  could you explain a bit more about the shears that didn't fit your hand?   

tdub
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 2:58:27 PM
it was kind of hard to call this guy right after I got the first pair, and tell him I didn't like them. it wasn't anything about the quality of the shear, it was a wierd way it fit my hand.

it is a swivel thumb (which I already own a pair) and after much discussion over the phone, we decided that it must be the distance between the thumb and tang. I know it sounds strange, but on this shear the tang sits up really high. and I have small hands. I palm my shears but use the tang for balance and also as leverage to put the shear back into cutting position. every time I did this with those shears, it felt like I was reaching and stretching to get the shear back to cutting position. it was very uncomfortable. I thought I would get used to it, but it was alot of money, and I felt I shouldn't have to 'get used' to it.

so when I called, guy was really cool about it. the 'avanti slim' is really light, with a really comfortable handle and tang. it took immediately to my hand. and I feel like I've never cut better.

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, February 20, 2005 4:19:00 PM

i see.  just wondering what you'd meant.  checked out that website and they have a wide selection.  would be difficult to choose a pair without testing them out first.  i've never heard of the 'buttercut' brand prior to this. 

statikman1
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 12:48:29 PM
I have 7 inch offset Revos and I love them. I rarely pick up my Milleniums anymore. I do have large hands though, so they're pretty comfy. My wife uses the fixed thumb version and she loves them.

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 3:04:51 PM
tell me about the Revos statik-are they Buttercut brand too?  where did you purchase them? japanese crafted?

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 3:05:17 PM

oh-nothing to do with shears, but it is a 'sheer pleasure' to listen-
if you haven't already-give a listen to the new cd by John Legend.
it is all that!!!!!

statikman1
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 3:29:24 PM
Revo is a model by Sensei, what TDub mentioned. Refers to revolving thumb. I bought 2 pairs after some Sensei guy was raving constantly on this site last year. Pretty decent shears, nice weight. I think they must be made by the same company as Centrix. Both Korean and they look alike. As far as the actual quality, they aren't even in the same universe as my Kashos, they're just really comfy, and I like pulling out my 7 inchers. I swear, I'm not compensating, despite what my wife says.

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 4:59:42 PM
thanks statik.  are they the ones that tdub was mentioning didn't fit her hand?  they may be a bit large for me....i really like these 'slim' centrix shears. i could do with a bit more weight but not much.  hand gets tired. definitely like at least a 6" shear. 

HairMaven
Gold Member

Statik
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 6:52:03 PM
classy....

statikman1
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 8:40:42 PM
I ooze class.
It looks like I'll get the salon as of Wednesday. Too bad my sublease on my other space fell through. It's going to be very tight for a while paying 3 rents.

tdub
Bronze Member

statik
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 6:54:55 PM
where are your salons located? what kind of benefits and education do you offer your employees? I am at a salon right now that I am not completely happy. but I keep telling myself that no place is perfect and I should be happy with what I have. my business has picked up really fast and they offer education and benefits. but I really hate the politics. the people who run the place don't have family or kids, so they have no problem taking you away from yours, and not being happy unless your giving your life for the company.

just wondering if the grass is really greener...

mc
Platinum Member

tdub-
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 11:05:49 PM

WOW! dead grass is greener than that is. Why did you want to work there?

mc

tdub
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 4:40:01 AM
I put up with it because of the education and the money I make. this is an expensive area. I worry that if I go somewhere else, I won't get any free education. I don't mind paying for some. but it is nice to be able to go to a free class whenever I want.

I guess I just feel stuck. I have a great clientele. and I don't want to have to start over, unless that is, I move from the area.

It would be nice tho, to know how other people run their salons. I think part of this salons strategy, is to make you think that there is no other place. that this is the best salon in the area. I'm also very loyal, I want very badly to make this work. I never intended to be a salon hopper.

statikman1
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 8:16:04 AM
tdub, the grass isn't greener, you described my place. Here is my reality.
I work my guys butts off for the first year and promote the hell out of them. I expect total dedication to their career, not my company. There is a difference.
They must show up for photoshoots and extra classes. After they've gone through my training series they have to teach the newbs every Wednesday night for 2 hours, no pay for one complete series. This is the final phase of their basic education, but every year I have one person who bitches about it, thinking they are doing me a favor. They aren't, and I have to explain what it takes to be succesful in this business- total dedication until you have built a large clientele. Only after that you can have a life and start taking time off. All my guys work a 4 day week, 8-10 hours a day.
I will only promote a stylist full-tilt for 6 months. After 2 years I let them totally dictate their own career. They can work what the want and have few obligations.
I don't give benefits. My guys on average make $40,000 a year within 2 years and $50,000 after 3. This is working four days a week. My job is to help put money in their pocket. It's their job to figure out how to spend it.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

statik
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:00:28 AM
I would seriously love to work for you.
"Sometimes you need a little J-Lo, sometimes you need a lot of Marilyn."-Robert Cromeans

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:47:08 AM
Pack your bags, vally!!

tdub
Bronze Member

thanks statik
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 5:10:06 AM
thanks for your reply. that's pretty much what I thought. there are alot more pros than cons. I've been thru the whole 'program' at work. I went thru all the classes. and I continue to go (on my own) to an advanced cutting class every other week. I love my career, but I have a small child. I don't plan on having more kids. I don't want to miss out on things with her. my career will always be there. I've only been on the floor at this salon since april. I already average $2000 weeks.

I had started going thru the program to become an educator, they wanted me to become the cutting director at our place. but when I realized that they were making me go to multiple classes a week, with no pay. and also no extra pay for being in a management position, I quit. If I'm not going to be compensated for working lots of extra hours and taking on more responsibility, why would I do it?

I want more than anything to be successful in this business, and I know I will. but right now I have another really important thing going on in my life. I still work 42 hours a week, plus the 3 hour cutting class every 2 weeks. I'm also paying out of pocket to go to new york in april for a 4 day cutting class. which by the way they were not happy about. the class is redken, and they teach us the tigi way of cutting. which is also great, but I want a different perspective on things.

what I'm trying to say is that I am very dependable, hard working, loyal and talented. I just want to know what my options are.

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 12:39:24 PM

Statikman- I couldn't agree with you more, butttt what I got out of tdub's post wasn't what I understood you to do. You want the stylists to boost "their" own career which will in turn boost yours. That's how it's suppose to work. Right? What I understood from this   "the people who run the place don't have family or kids, so they have no problem taking you away from yours, and not being happy unless your giving your life for the company"   is that they could care less about tdubs career, and only their own. Granted the classes will boost tdubs career and education but at what cost?...  That's what promted my reply. Not that (s)he gets free education or any at all for that matter, but that it should come above all else.

mc

Anonymous

Hikari Shears
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 5:10:53 PM

I am considering investing in a pair of Hikaris, specifically the New Cosmos 5.5". Any recommendations, either for or against?

HairMaven
Gold Member

hikari
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 6:44:01 PM
If you are "heavy handed" with your scissors the New Cosmos will dull quickly. By heavy handed I mean use a lot of pressure on your scissors when you open and close the blades. I have 2 pair of New Cosmos 6", and they are probablly the sharpest scissors I own when they are just serviced (be careful who you choose to service your scissors, these are easily ruined), but, they tend to dull very quickly for me and I use a lot of pressure when i cut. So, I tend to not use them much as a daily scissor. For my work horse scissors I use Tenyo Slim 6's. These are hand made as the Cosmos are, but a little less refined and hence a little cheaper.

Just my 2 cents

Anonymous

Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 7:08:07 PM
Many thanks for your words of wisdom, HairMaven. BTW, I recently purchased your DVD and have found it to be outstanding. No nonsense, no "smoke and mirrors", just solid thorough technique instruction -- very impressive.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 9:55:59 PM
thank you, anon

Anonymous

ergonomic shears feel great
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 8:22:40 PM
  I have found that the centrix vortex shears are fabulous. A person I worked for gave them to me and I have been grateful for them ever since. It has the swivel thumb and offset grip and just is great, no soreness in the thumb at all.

irishroyal
Bronze Member

KAI SHEARS
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 2:22:46 PM

I love my shears, they are made by KAI and are Japanesse. These are the same people that make the Samori swords and boy are they sharp!

I read in one of the posts about the hair getting pushed away when they cut, that is because the tension in the shears is either too tight or too loose, if you hold your shears by the  Little Finger Tang, with the points of the shears pointing upwards, take the thumb ferrule and lift it up all the way and then drop it, if you have a fingers width space between the thumb ferrule & the tang still open when they fall, the shears have the correct amount of tension. If the shears come back down and  the tang & thumb ferrule touch, the shears are too loose,  if the thumb ferrule doesn't go back down, they are too tight.

Be careful about having your shears sharpened by the guys that come into your salons, some shears like my KAI's have serrated blades, that only the manufacturer can put back on the shears.

- Mags Kavanaugh 

ScissorNut

Always go german!
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 8:32:47 AM

In terms of shears you should always go with a german. There is no better steel! Japanese shears like Jowell, Hikari, Kasho, Washi and so on are declining in quality as the years go by. Some other companies like Arius Eickert are looking for cheaper ways to produce their shears so god only knows where they source from but a friend bought an Eickert and it crapped out in like a month.

A good solis german shear can stand the test of time. With the innovations in technology and forging coming out of lines like Jaguar and Fromm you can't go wrong with those guys. There is a give an take here though.

Regular Stainless steel shears lose their edge quicker than other steels so go with a SmartSteel shear or something like the Blue Titan from Fromm. With SmartSteel all the carbides in the steel are the same size and spacing reducing friction and far extending the life and sharpness.

With a titanium shear like the Blue Titan or Black Fusion they use titanium infusion to make the shear not only "stainless" but the titanium makes them hypo-allergenic (nickel allergy sufferers can rest easy with these since no nickle comes out) and cince there is less or no chromium in the steel ( chromium is what makes stainless steel "stainless") the edge stay longer.

If you absolutely must have a Japanese shear or you might die I recommend either the Joewell C-one or CR-01.

"So long and thanks for all the fish"

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 9:45:31 AM
The origin of the scissor (country) has nothing to do with the quality of the scissor.

Period.

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 9:57:24 AM
true true...
When I lived in Germany, the most expensive shears (and I got a pair) were the Joewell Cobalt.  Now it seems there are some cheap Joewells out there.. I am wondering if they are counterfit.  I prefer my Hikari Shears..  and my BW Boyd blending shears (which I have NO idea where they were made)

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 7:59:31 AM
Hakari = Japan

BW Boyd = Japan

ScissorNut

Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 8:28:11 AM

How can you say Country of Origin has nothing to do with it. For the sake of argument we could arguably say it has more to do with the manufacturer or brand. However many sharpeners I talk to have complained about the declining quality of Japanese shears for years. On the other hand they have nothing but good things to say about German shears like the Fromm and Jaguar.

These are the people who know shears the best. Can you say a carpenter knows what hammer has the best craftsmanship or the best drill. It's all oppinion. I made mine, you made yours. I backed mine up with facts you just argued for the sake of argument I think because you think you know something. In outr little battle of wits you came armed with a rubber band and I came in an M1 Abrams tank. LOL

It doesn't matter shears are shears I guesss whatever you like is what you should buy.

"So long and thanks for all the fish"

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 4:05:16 PM
I guess my holding and using a scissor in my hand almost every day for the last 20 years, and the fact that I have over 50 scissors to my name of every make and model (japanese, german, filipino, korean) and of every make of material (stainless, cobalt, titanium, ceramic) and finish (serrated, honed, hollow ground) means nothing as far as experience goes.

I will repeat, the country of origin means nothing as far as the quality of scissor goes. What matters more is the material it's made of and most importantly HOW THE SCISSOR is finished.

The harder the steel is the longer it can hold it's edge, the softer the steel is the sharper the edge can be, that's why companies layer metals and coat their scissors so they can get a really sharp edge without you having to pay $5000 for a completely titanium scissor, which hair stylist wont pay for anyway, they is why the scissor market is cutting quality, price. The softer the metal the sharper the blade but the quick it looses it's edge.

To say that the manufacture knows more about how a scissor performs is like saying the auto engineer's opinion of which race car handles better is of more worth than the race car driver actually driving the machine. And how can you even have an opinion when your opinion isn't even your own? It's of your scissor sharpeners?!? Your using opinion as fact and trying to back it up with some generic facts about steel composition.

The most important thing is the craftsman that 'finished' the scissor, the one who makes sure the blade align, puts the first edge on them and spends time making them a true precision instrument.

I think your tank ran out of gas....
And my ninja skills are superior grasshopper.

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 4:32:20 PM

me thinks you will be joining

very soon.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 5:20:39 PM
Anon- I've never laughed so hard at a post on BTC!!!!

Ha. I'm still laughing....

Thanks

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 5:24:08 PM
and my husband thinks I don't have what it takes to be a  Comedian  Star 14 
I crack myself up. Butt Dance 

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 5:53:48 PM

I swear by my Kokoros.

Best shear I've ever used and it's now going on 6 years that I am still using them with excellent results.

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 6:14:02 PM

A Walking The Dog Female ia

would have been better... NOT Alesia....

Anonymous

Advice for left handed shears
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 10:08:12 AM
I need advice for buying true left handed shears. Any suggestions to what company makes them? I've searched throught the internet and am having trouble finding good quality true lefty's.

Thanks

Ms R
Bronze Member

Lefty Shears
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 5:03:11 PM

I know that Fromm makes Left handed shears. I don't, however know how good they are.  We used to have to get them for our students who were left handed.  It's hard to find good ones though.

But did you know:

That the left side of your brain controls the right side of your body, and the right side of your brain controls the left side of your body.

That means only left handed people are in their right mind!   

Rolly 1

Sorry I could not help myself.  I had an X who was left handed and had that sign over his desk.  Happy 

Liberty

optikad

Shears,Scissors,Fiskers???
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2005 11:18:46 PM
Hello all great post and replys so far. Its obvious there are people with great knowlege here.
I just want to add my 2 cents. I have been cutting for about 12 years now. And have never had any sort of tendon or Carpel tunnel problem. I preach to my students they must learn to properly use there tools. And also become 1 with them. Moving with them rather than always feeling like they are holding them. I ask them to practice movements while I am speaking. A great exercise is lay your hands on the backs flat on your leg or desk and practice only the thumb moving, When your hand is on its back you cannot Pac-Man the shear. Hope that helps.
But as far as shears go I also agree with the post more is better. I have 5 pairs of shears I cut with. As well as 6 different Razors. I dont believe there is a "1 size fits all". If there was we would only have one option. My blades very in size and shape. I tend to like my off-sets. I have:
Kasho design masters 6"
Centrix Cryogenix5"
Centrix Z-cons (I cant find lately)
Eickart 8" Arcs. (Same as Cromeans)
KMS Masatos 5 3/4" ( I wish I could buy more, but not made anymore)
plus a couple of Thinners in different lengths and teath count. My work horse's are the Kashos. But I really like the feel of my KMS but they are my oldest shears. 11 years old and still cut great but have a bur on the tips that grab. Have not had a chance to get them fixed. I only trust one Guy to do mine. Even over sending them back to the company. He has always been consistant and honest. Plus knowlagable. If your in Utah get to know Mitch at Rapid Edge aka Zizzors. Even when I have sent mine back to company they were some what inconsistant. They guarenteed there work but took a extra 2 weeks on the turnaround.
I have had many other shears in my time. I also Sold Jaguar shears when the Insparations came out. Asymetric blades that always cut at 21 Degrees. To small of a closing degree is what causes pushing of the hair. I want a pair of those again. German Vs. Japaneese. My understanding is that almost all shears are forged in Korea. But then sent off to be finished in either Japan or Germany. So I think origin is not so key as to finishing, balance, and honing. In general Japaneese shears are more rounded at the tip and Clam shell honed. While German shears are more pointed and wedged edges. Rounder edges work well to slide cut and straight edges cut straight lines. I hate to meet a stylist who has been cutting for 10, 15, 20 years with the same shear. They almost always have a tendon problem or even wear a brace of some sort. I need a variety of tools to do one job sometimes. I have had most shear reps drop off shears they want to sell me. And they leave them with me for a couple of days. That way I get to try them and use them before I make any choice. Plus almost all of them do buy backs or trade ins. I have got some refurbished shears for great prices. Get to know your shear reps. And ask to try before you buy. Or borrow other stylist shears with care. If they will let you. I believe you get what you paid for. But that does not mean dont look for the best price. I agree with another post more than $500 for Kasho Greens is too much.

Thanks for all those who post and help others on this site. It helps to build our Salong Culture.....O...

trista

Help
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2005 10:29:46 AM
I am also looking for altieri shears does anyone have any idea where to get them?

robertaslt

Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 12:29:06 PM
It interesting

relle

swedish shears
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 9:23:32 PM
anyone have a cricket logo swedish shear and how is its performance?

irishroyal
Bronze Member

Exercising with Shears
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 11:04:33 AM

Optikad, when I use to work with Vidal Sassoon, he made us do that exercise, resting our shears on the left hand and then using just our thumb for 5 minutes before each class, it really does help you to use the correct muscles and not get into bad habits, everyone should try this one, it will make you use the right muscles and you'll be able to feel the difference.

- Mags Kavanaugh

isaac@gatewaysbeyond.org

new scissors
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 12:54:48 PM

Hi i am new in the industry and want to buy pair of quality scissors.  I have researched some and want to hear some other opinions.  I saw a good deal for a pair of JAGUAR scissors, model:PreStylist Relax.  And Also apair by TONDEO: Spots.

A pair I saw that looked really nice were the Jaguar, CJ4 Plus Ceramic Fusion, but pretty expensive for me. I also heard of Arius Eickert:Ergonomic, Fusion 8141

Does anyone know these scissors and if they are good.  I would appreciate any help of what to buy.....thanks

hues4you
Platinum Member

Isaac-
Posted: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 5:38:16 PM

Dear Isaac-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  We look forward to your participation.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

tonim1013

Looking for a good set!!
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 3:35:59 PM
I am in the market for new shears. I need cutting shears and texturizing shears. Can anyone suggest a good set I can buy? From what I have been reading Japanese brands are the best??

hues4you
Platinum Member

tonim1013
Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 9:01:46 PM

Dear tonim1013

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Check the Salon Store here on this site for shears in the brown bar above.  Good luck in your search.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

AMirage
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, September 22, 2006 5:41:51 AM
Love my Kokoros......................

joesalon

Advice on shears
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 9:31:16 AM

I have owned Kasho, Hikari, and Joewell shears and a few lesser known brands that were not very good.  For me the Hikaris are the smoothest and sharpest but Kasho is a close second and Joewell 3rd.  I agree with a previous post that the Japanese made shears are by far the best!  Be careful of brands that have Japanese names but are actually made in Taiwan, China, Korea, etc.  I bought some Musashi shears and they were horrible and later found out they were made in Taiwan! I think it's best to go with the names that have been around for a long time and their reputations are well known. (20 years or more). 

molette

Buttercut
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:50:33 PM
Hello,

Does anyone have any experience with Buttercut shears? I am thinking of the Star, in particular - I've held it and it felt beautiful.

Many thanks!

HairWizardZ24

buttercut shears
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 7:21:59 PM
I own 2 pair of buttercut Helix (tm) Shears
butter cut is a wonderful american company based in Florida and the shears are hand made and last forever
they stay sharp for a very long time
to get the Helix (tm) shears you must attend the helix academy myhelix.com for more info
tootles...

tbirdie

HIKARI SHARPENING HELP
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 8:29:42 AM
Hey y'all-I've had my Hikari's for 7 yrs and have had them sharpened once- I shipped them in a bubble-lined envelope that was already addressed which came with the shears.  I now need them sharpened again and don't know where to send them! I shoulda wrote it down, I know, but what are ya gonna do. . SO. . . does anyone have that address or envelope handy? I think the instructions also said to send in $10 to cover the cost of return shipping. BTW, I googled Hikari and they don't have a website. Thanx!

joesalon

to Tibirdie
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 5:51:52 PM

If you do a google search for Hikari Shears, their website should come up.  Their website is: www.hikariscissors.com

You can also try Kasho, I think they sharpen Hikari's as well.

Coach@iempwr

Shears
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 7:27:33 PM

I just tryed a pair of KARG shear AMAZING

Google him Karg Shears

Deb Hunt

IEmpower Consulting & Training

www.iempwr.com

oh_sparks

sensei
Posted: Wednesday, May 14, 2008 6:55:12 PM
i was looking at the sensei revolving crane. has anyone used these or any kind of sensei before?

beauty53
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2008 7:12:42 PM
I 've used Sensei shears with the revolving crane and I am a big fan.  I must admit they were a bit difficult to get use to, but now I have trouble adjusting to any other shears.  I have several pairs in different lengths.  I agree that Karg shears are nicely made...and Mike Karg is pretty darn cute...but I am too use to the revolving feature and can't give it up.

suzyshelton

Black Label Shears
Posted: Sunday, August 03, 2008 6:35:55 PM
Has anyone used Black Label Shears, by Shannon Lamm? Or have any suggestions about what would be a good pair to begin with? I just graduated and would rather invest in a nice pair than buy something I'd have to replace. Thanks!

TheCatCorner

shear advice
Posted: Monday, October 13, 2008 8:37:36 PM

I've been cutting hair for 22 years and I've dealt with a lot of "types" in the shear business. There are so many makes and models to chose from and shears are a subjective matter because they are about feel and ease and conformity. I needed someone who could match shears with my needs and my cutting style. I just purchased a few Kashos from Precision Shears online and dealt straight with the owner (Guy). He advertises “price matching” and his customer care was fabulous. He gave me the best price I was hunting for. I own shears in all price ranges and I think it really boils down to your “go-to shears”.  You can own a wide range of shears but you should really spend the effort and time in researching those couple of shears you keep picking up over all the others.

steve v

Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2008 8:16:00 PM
I'm a shear whore! I have a several Hikari and Matsuzaki 5 star which I use the most on a daily basis. My pride and joy are my royal kingdom from Naruto co. shears from japan, the best made shears I have ever had the privelage of working with. they are expensive in the u.s. but not bad in japan, about $1800. retail. Hikari are the best investment by far as one pair will last your career, I have mine serviced by hikari and they are always like new. don't by any german or chinese garbage, the japanese have shears to a science. Hikari beam is your best bet, very reliable!

DiscontinuedBeauty

Altieri Shears Best Deals on Haircutting and Thinning Shears ESPECIALLY Those that are/ may be discontinued
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2008 1:21:37 PM

We have various shears that we see people have been looking for.(Altieri, Cricket, Rocket Dog, The RotoRazor) etc...

We are in the midst of listing these items so check out our site or call us at 1-877-GET-BTY (943-8289) If you have a request.

http://www.Discontinuedbeauty.com"

"Keeping You Connected To Your Favorite Beauty Items"

Receive $2 off your first order by enetring the savings code"FIRST"!

kristencoatney

shear repair
Posted: Monday, February 02, 2009 7:24:36 AM
Does anyone know where I can send a pair of TIGI Hardcore shears to get repaired?

tristinbrittany

Tigi Pro vs. Kasho?
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2009 6:54:14 PM
I might be getting Tigi Pros but I was looking at Kashos.  There is a distributor near me that sell Kashos.  So was wondering if Kashos are smoother which ones are a fair price (I notcied Milleniums are near $900 too much for me).  I have Rusk swivels right now but just want something else smoother.

JohnMoore4u

Posted: Thursday, July 15, 2010 2:10:29 AM
@kristencoatney I think buying good pair of hair shears is better then repairing.

I think this company (theshearsdepot.com) is offering better Hair cutting shears!

irishroyal
Bronze Member

www.bonikashears.com
Posted: Friday, July 16, 2010 10:43:06 AM
Try www.bonikashears.com they offer great shears at a great price and have many styles to choose from.
Bonnie & her husband Gene also sharopen shears if you need them.
-Mags Kavanaugh
www.AskMags.com

Mags Kavanaugh
National Education Director

shari

hikari
Posted: Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:48:59 PM
has anyone ever had the wrong shears retuned to them from hikari. well i have and they refuse to do anything about it. for that matter has anyone noticed their shears being overly sharp to where if the shears ride along the inside of the index and middle finger it slices. please respond because i feel like i am crazy.

blangs

Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:56:05 PM
Any advice on musashi shears?

TotallyShears

Kokoro Shears sales & services
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2013 1:07:13 PM

Please check out our web site for information about the great line of Kokoro Hairtyling Shears.

You will find lots of information about Kokoro shears and our service department offering factory service for Kokoro shears and all other lines.

www.totallyshears.com and on face book where you will find links to our Blog totally Shears sharp talk

stephenjack

The Best Shears You Will Ever Own
Posted: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 10:31:20 AM
There are a lot of good shears out there but in my humble opinion the very best on the market for the last 5 years is Hattori Hanzo Shears . I really do believe they are the best company in the hair shear niche in the world. There are other companies who have really nice shears, but the difference between them and Hanzo (in my opinion) is the overall focus of the company. No other company I know of allows stylist to "try before they buy" and give them 30 days to use it in their salon. No other company gives a true 100% lifetime guarentee. No other company provides the payment plans with ZERO interest. Even if you look at the Hanzo Facebook page you will see the customer relationship, and education is the main focus of this company. This I believe seperates them from the Kasho's, Hikaris, and Mizutani's of the world.