Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Have a ques. for the pros....
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:31:10 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Have a ques. for the pros....
Anonymous

Posted: Monday, October 15, 2001 6:28:00 PM
Hi, all! Im new to this site. i have 1 ques.I started to work in a barber shop,tons of fun.I know when the customer says TAPER the back,(As in hairlines) it means no line (round, or square)I understand how to do that with using a #2 or #1 blade. I have a hard time doing it anything higher than a #2 ,any tips?Also ,is it possible to give a natural hair line ot taper ,when giving a regular haircut? No right?

statikman
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 8:57:00 AM
It's not possible to do it without a #1. You will have to flick your clippers out from the hairline and blend into the length in the back, if this is what the client wants. A taper or fade is by definition going from no hair to hair without any lines or demarcation.
As to the second question, what is a regular cut? If someone wants to leave length through the back and the rest of the cut, it is pretty much impossible to taper it in without it looking a bit weird.
Good luck

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2001 7:18:00 AM
Hi, I am new to this site and would like to know if anyone else has heard of the "helix cut"? If so, please inform me. Thanks.

statikman
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, October 29, 2001 9:39:00 PM
Check out their website. I think it's www.myhelix.com It's kind of strange if you come from a classic background ( no offence to anyone using their techniques), but I just can't imagine anyone wanting their hair to look like the pictures on the site.

milan001

Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 9:49:00 PM
it is possible to use a clipper comb i.e oster
and others. use the comb with the contour of the neckline. graduate lightly. this helps ;)

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, December 28, 2001 12:05:00 PM
This is in response to the "Helix" cut. I did the course and it's a great system to use or incorporate with your regular haircut.The motivation is wonderful!

Melvina

Posted: Friday, January 04, 2002 2:11:00 AM
Taper, natural hair line with a regular cut? Longer than a #2 , Yes, very possible. Your talking to a barber. To give a natural hair line with a regular cut: I call it the business man's cut. First, establish your guide line on top. Continue to cut all the top with your shears. For the sides and back cut one fingers length or as close as you can get when they want it short. Leave longer if they want it to comb back. Then with shears, cut the desired lenght for the out line, usually above the ears and neckline. Next, use your clipper over comb technique from the out line up, to blend. This will give you a regular cut, with the fullness you desire and the taper around the ears and neckline with out using #1 or#2, If you don't know how to use the comb over clipper. Give a shear blend cut, use a #2 around the ears and neckline approixmately 1/4 to 1/2 inch up from the outline flicking out with your wrist around the out line. The exact defination of a taperd hair cut is going from 0 at the hair line to 3 inches on top. Or you can use a #2 at the out line, flicking as describe, then give a shear blend. Always, finish by blending with the clippers over comb technique from up the sides and back. The best way to learn is watching. Even if you must go to an old style Barber shop, you'll learn something not taught in videos, books or internet. The Barber Melvina
you can not get off the internet or out of books.

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, January 21, 2002 1:01:00 PM
sometimes i'll use a #1to a #2 to a #3,etc & blend w/shears to top. or do sissor over comb & use different size base combs. if i'am not satisfied w/any or all, i'll go back over alittle thinning shear over comb

Anonymous

Posted: Sunday, January 27, 2002 7:23:00 PM
by anonymous, there some great ways that were expressed on tapering, just please don't ask your client what number they have had used on their hair before.

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 11:45:00 AM
I need to find a site showing the hair trends of the 1920's. Maybe someone can give me some suggestions for this era. Thanks!

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 3:51:00 PM
I think I seen something like that before, but I dont have a site. Try a bunch of search engines and you might find it.

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2003 2:32:00 PM
Where can I find videos on different hair cuts.

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 6:30:00 PM
IM INTERESTED IN A JOB AT A KIDS SALON. NEAR LEXINGTON KY. IVE BEEN IN THE SALON INDUSTRY SINCE 1985 AND HAVE WORKED IN A KIDS SALON CHAIN FOR 4 YEARS AND WAS THE MANAGER. I HATED TO QUIT BECAUSE I LOVE WORKING WITH THE CHILDREN. I WAS TOLD LATER THERE COULD BE A BENEFIT PACKAGE, BUT THAT NEVER HAPPEN. SO JUST LET ME KNOW!!!!!!!!!

ruby finch

sissor over comb
Posted: Monday, February 06, 2006 10:57:16 AM
the last date on this bulletin board is two years ago so i am late to the table however i am a connesiur of the original sissor over comb of the sixties and seventies and i miss the artform.  i learned it from sassoon trained brits that cane to edmonton alberta in the seventies and we all did well.  it was precision haircutting, it was new and it made everyone look better.  i do it with sissors, it takes a very long time on some hairlines and thats the beauty of it, if you take the time you can get exactly what you want.  hairdressing now is very speed driven.  success equates to becoming wealthy and taking an hour to do a haircut is too long to be profitable.  do it anyway. take the time. have a high standard. shave the shape. chisle the angles. and everyone will look better. 

Marjorie

Have a question for the pros
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2006 3:41:35 AM

Ruby, thanks for your advice.

I have a question too.  My male client's hair is cut to 1 inch all over, tapering in above the ears.  However his head is squarish and when I cut 1 inch all over, it tends to stick out where the head contours downwards towards the ear.  Please advice me how can I avoid this.  Do I cut that part longers, but then how do I blend it in?  Or do I thin that part with shears?

Thanks you.

mina2
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2006 7:51:12 PM
sticking out like what?  Like his hair is sticking straignt out?  Sounds like it needs to be cut clipper over comb near the ears.

Marjorie

Have a ques, for the pros...
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:29:08 PM

Sticking out ...

From the top of the head it curves down to the sides, right?  Just there.  His hair does not just drop down, it sticks out a little- like a porcupine. Very straight, stiff and plenty of hair.  Length of hair is 1 inch all around, and slightly tapered to sit just above the ear.