Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Helix Shears
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:31:08 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Helix Shears
LeeshieB

Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 5:37:00 PM
I am really looking into helix shears and the results they achieve. I know you have to take the classes and everything, but are they really worth it? Is it hype or real? I live in PA and would love to come and see it for myself. Any info anyone can offer would be great.

callie garrison

Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2001 7:48:00 PM
Hi LeeshieB I have taken the classes and have the helix shears, the millenium shear, the thinning shear, the twister shear and I love them. I love to use them and see the results in the cutting and the difference in the styling. Classes and the shears are costly unless they have lessen the price. I did the classes and completed the 4 phases in years 97 and 98.

nodoff

Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2002 5:32:00 PM
LeeshieB. The classes are costly, but definately worth the money in the long run. The shears are really for the aspiring hairdresser who wants to raise their level of grace. The academy is more than just the shears. It is about self-esteem,empowerment and finding out who you are. I understand you can get a list of their graduates on line and call them yourself.

Good Luck!

sassy

Posted: Monday, January 07, 2002 7:51:00 PM
Lee,
I graduated from the acadamy in july 01'. and I can tell you that the price has gone down... the shears are costly and so is the school but i have more than recouped my price of the money spent... it truely does make your hair curly and then some;.... people drive 3 hours to get their hair done by me.... Carol L. Smith is awesome and if you email me i can tell you more... but you want regret it.

pinkpink01@aol.com

sassyred

KDB

Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2002 4:34:00 PM
Lee- Hey, I am also a PHD graduate of the Helix Hair Company. I can't begin to share with you what the Helix Design System has done for me. I am definately going places and doing things that I never could have dreamed possible. It is not a hype! I agree with the others about price. Not only is it worth every penny and then some but the academy will work with you on every thing. They have finance plans etc. Yes! Yes! Yes! Give it a try! Visit Helix for yourself at myhelix.com. Where are you in PA? My husband is from there and we will be visiting his family in the near future. Would love to share more with you in person. Contact me:) at
camron87@mindspring.com

crigsby

Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 5:16:00 PM
I am also a PHD graduate from the Helix Hair Company. I have been a hairdreser for 33 years and an instructor for 18 years. I recieved the best training at this school I have ever had. I can now get the hair to do things I could not before and didn't know why. It has put enthusiasm back in my profession. The shears are great!

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 4:02:00 AM
Not again! More free advertising!! Why don't thay just add "Helix" down at the bottom with all the other logos and have done with it already instead of clogging up the forum with it? It's starting to sound like a cult.

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2002 9:39:00 PM
A P.h.d in haircutting? Do your clients called you doctor? Most P.h.d's take years of specific study in one area, college then grad school, as well as having to write a thesis. Because you take a class, or specific training from a particular company, does not make you a P.h.d. If that were the case, then any stylists who has ever taken a class,or seminar has a P.h.d as well.

Poptart

Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 3:58:00 PM
Billie,
Just incase you haven't noticed the Message Board title is HELIX

Cowgirl

Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 4:02:00 PM
Also! The Helix Hair Company welcomes those of all kinds, skeptic, those welcome to new innovations and others. The fact is you are the one holding yourself back. I feel sorry for you! At the Helix Hair Academy they give you a nbew outlook on life, positive affermations it is so much more than a "hair school."

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 4:27:00 PM
CULT.

WAYLO

Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 5:39:00 PM
Not to change the subject or anything. But I like your nickname *Poptart* Sweet ;0)

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 5:37:00 AM
Yeah, I thought that was cute, too. Okay, I'll butt out of this one now...

Cowgirl

Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 2:06:00 PM
All I can say is you are holding yourself back! I would think a hairdresser of any stature would want to further her education. If you just go to a class you will immediatly reep the benefits! CLS and the instructors there are open for any situation and can teach you so much.
The shears work to add volume, lift, energy, and movement into the hair. They teach you how to use the shears to sculpt the hair not "elevate and chop, elevate and chop."
You will become the top your your profession. By not accepting their offers you are stating that you are not open to knowledge or new inventions. Frankly, honey, I'm afraid you're gonna fall behind.

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 3:44:00 PM
I prefer to "further my education" with somethng I consider to be worth my time and money, thank you. By "not accepting their offers" I am exercising my right to freedom of choice, not stating that I am not "open to knowledge".

"Frankly, honey, I'm afraid" that you're telling yourself a lie.

Cowgirl

Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 4:52:00 PM
Suit yourself, but your gonna be sorry because it's the top-of-the-line tenique and you are obvioulsy not high-tech or "with the style" enough to see what young and old costomers want. And btw, I would never lie to myself! :-)

Cowgirl

Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 4:56:00 PM
P.S. God loves you and so do I!
P.P.S. I realize you are exercising your freedoms, you go girl!

I <3 you!

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 5:04:00 PM
EXPAND YOUR HORIZONS, BILLIE! YOU CAN GO, AND IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT (PLEASE DON'T TAKE THAT PERSONALLY)THEY CAN HELP WITH FINANCING! NO ONE SAID YOU HAD TO COME BACK! JUST TRY IT! YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IT'S ABOUT TO BE THROWIN IT DOWN!

Lila
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, February 04, 2002 5:54:00 PM
Speaking of PopTarts. I'm having one right now. I'm addicted to Brown Sugar and Cinnimon. (without the icing)Can't stop eating them.

Anyway, not the reason for my post.

I think that people have said quite enough about Helix. You don't have to put Billie down because she's not interested. The mere fact that you have to insult people to get them to attend your "school" is reason enough to avoid it. I usually prefer not to argue with people but any technique worth touting would be getting good press without people making negative comments about the people who are not interested. I'm reminded of Bally's fitness back in the 80's where the sales staff got into all kinds of trouble for "high pressure sales". Remember? They would get people in a room and let a salesperson call them lazy, fat and ugly for not buying a membership and suggesting that a membership will change their life giving them super model status in about six months. Anyway that's what you Helix people remind me of when you attack people for merely not being interested in your product by suggesting that they are not open-minded or educated sufficiently or not "high tech" enough. Frankly, it makes you sound desperate. And also I think a big turn off is that most of the Helix posts seem somewhat scripted. Seeming dishonest or unnatural goes a long way in scaring people away. Most people can see right through it. Do you by any chance make a commission off of enrollees? If not, what do you care if people go to this school or not? Wouldn't you like to have a talent that gives you an edge over the competition? Anyway this is just my opinion. I wouldn't attend your school either. If I'm missing out on something great, I doubt it. In the meantime I'll wait for your VIP's to surface and promote your class.
But I'd like to ask you nicely to just say your piece about what's great about it and stop insulting us and trying to humiliate people into enrolling. It doesn't make you seem very credible.

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 3:50:00 AM
Thanks Lila :) Well said.

sparklehair
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 7:41:00 AM
to crigsby, what other schools hand classes have you attended?if this WAS the best, i just cant imagine! and yes, I still want a reply regarding the so called 'VIP's' why cant you tell us who they are? frankly I have never seen any of the superstars using them, has anyone heard of a really famous stylist using them, ANYWHERE? have any trade magazines ever done a feature about helix? I get all the mags and have never seen it, reply required please.

Donn
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 10:37:00 AM
I have never heard of this Helix stuff until this board. I would think that In 11 years in this indusrty I would have. And before you start, I am way too up on current events and have incredible knowledge about this industry. I have attended many cutting styling and coloring classes, some with the very top notch of the feild and not once has Helix ever come up.

Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 6:05:00 PM
Seeing as this forum seems to have become a free for all for advertising, I think I will put up a link to my FREE to use site that next month will be featuring "HOW TO ACHIEVE A LOOK JUST LIKE
HELIX WITHOUT THE HELIX SHEARS!" section (and I promise I will do this with pictures and everything, and details of how I got the look, and for free, if enough people sign up for my FREE newsletter (lets me know if it's worth doing as they tell me each time an email has been entered so I can monitor the response to it this way, plus I'll have to get a client to have the look done and do a photoshoot etc.). It's at www.salonsupport.co.uk

Thanks Guys. (P.S. If you don't like the site, I promise not to put you all down! PLUS it's your chance to meet Billie in the flesh. Check out the member biog.!)

mopa227

Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 9:28:00 PM
I am a current student of the Helix Hair Academy and I want to say that in no way would a person invoved in this course put someone down for being skeptical. Hell, i was too the first time I heard about it. But in turn I was also very curious. I believe that seeing is believing, so I went to the first class. With my bad attitude and all. I was amazed at the knowledge the creator of the shears had to share with me. This academy is interested in making the general hairdresser more respected in a business sense and in an artist sense. Plesse try to accept the fact that there might just be something out there that is new, innovative, and that works, without being negative.

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 4:35:00 AM
Well, mopa227, you just said that "in no way would a person involved in this course put someone down for being skeptical", etc etc, then what would you call "Cowgirl's" posts in response to me, which are definite put-downs of me?

mopa227

Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 10:54:00 AM
You do not deserve in any way for anyone to put you down. I am sure you are a wonderful stylist and I wish the best for you and the growth of your business. Whatever method of cutting, coloring and styling you choose. I hope you would wish the same for others in our field. We have battled getting the respect we deserve for a long time. Good luck to you:)

cascg

Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 5:24:00 PM
I am also currently a student at the helix academy. I know this is not going to for everyone, but for those of you who are a skeptic, I just wanted you to know I was to, but I went to check it out and had the atitude that I didnt have to go back if I didnt want to. I was so impressed and learned so much that I signed up for all 4phases. I just wanted to say that if it isnt for you that is fine, but I am sure there is something out there that you do or use in this business that isnt for everyone. So please dont bad mouth it until you have tried it or checked into it, or can prove it doesnt work. Good luck to everyone.

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 5:52:00 PM
SNORE.

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 8:05:00 PM
Whatever.

Shirley Q. Liquor

Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2002 4:33:00 AM
How you durrin'?

LeeshieB

Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2002 8:12:00 PM
You know, it's funny, I got what I wanted. Information, however biased it is. I have to think it would be impossible to cut curl into hair. If that was the case, we'd all be bending our shears. I don't have to pay a school to use a blow torch. I know how taking weight out of someone's hair can encourage a curl pattern. I just can't see how shears you can only get by attending a school first would be that amazing. (Yet another gimmick I didn't think of first. I'm never going to be a millionaire at this rate!}Ask a general question, get 50 people who want to sell you the answer. I most certainly was not looking for a pressure sales pitch. OR people who are rude to people, especially when their ideas and opinions differ. Just because someone doesn't believe in the shears is no reason to be that way, and doesn't encourage me to enroll in the school. Sorry, Helix, I think my money will be better spent at the NY show taking classes and trying to make it to haircolor USA this year.

Cowgirl

Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2002 9:47:00 AM
I'm sorry you took my response personally. I didn't mean to be harsh to you.

Cowgirl

Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2002 9:53:00 AM
Also Lila, Carole Lyden Smith is a very giving and caring woman, she just wants to spread her knowledge with you and share the love. It may sound like something from the 70's, but it is a kind-hearted gesture. She wants you to know what she does, how it works, because some hair-dressers are becoming burnt out on what they do. She just wants you to love your occupation and to see it more than just a "job." I'm sorry if I stirred up something. I hope you'll all please forgive me.

Shirley Q. Liquor

Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2002 12:51:00 PM
Look, how you durrin'? Ah gots into a cussin match las naht ah am not soon gonna forget. Me and mah psychic friend Cleo went inTO it. Look, ah sayd, ah'm given you one mo week, an if you don fahnd me a husbin, ah'm gonna SUE you, an take all you all to court behind dis. She's jus ingnunt. Ah'm payin $5 a minit in de middle of de naht, wit a blood alcohol level of about persent 68, and she chargin' ME?

Listen, ya'll, insteds of all dis bickerin, whine you call up a friend an go has a big ol Shlitz tugether? Tell 'em Shirly sayd so. Now, Leeshie, you gots de info you wanted, you is doin FAHN, an Cowgurrrl, don' worry abouts it an you leaves Lila aLONE an quit tryin to hypnotizerize her. An CowgUUURRRRLLL, you aint hurt no one's feelins HEYAH so aint nuttin to fogive! You gets back on yo littel pretty spotted pony and gets to a saloon an gets you a nahce cold one an don' worry no MO!

Lila
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2002 3:15:00 PM
How you durrin', Shirley?

Cowgirl, That's great but the point is no one has really shared anything with us. I mean you're going on like we're just talking professional to professional but we;re really not. All the Helix people are really sharing with us is that it's wonderful and you should sign up for the class or buy the shears. I mean, does Carol Lydon Smith really want to share knowledge? And spread the love? What's stopping her?
Further more if it was a technique that really required intense training then you could freely explain it to us. But if it's a bunch of hype designed to part people with their money, you would have to keep it a secret. Because explaining it would disolve the mystery. It still sounds like a classic scam to me. Do the Helix people do demonstrations at the trade shows? Do their educators write articles for the trade mags? These are some ways to recruit students for your school. And honestly people could get to see what they're paying for.

chris the limey
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2002 3:46:00 PM
"You gets back on yo littel pretty spotted pony and gets to a saloon an gets you a nahce cold one an don' worry no MO!"

What a riot! Oh my God. Will she helix it's mane and tail? And "shhharre the luv now?" or will she charge it "anything upwards of $75!, and haven't done a perm since last October?"

LOL!

Miss Cleo

Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2002 5:35:00 PM
CALL ME NOW FER YER FREE READIN..........

DOES HE HAVE A MARK OR A MOLE OR SOMETHING????

HE'S THE DADDY!

YOU NEED TA STOP THA BOOTIE CALLS AT 2 AM YOU HEAR ME DAHLIN???

YOU RECENTLY COLORED YOUR HAIR RED???

LET ME LET YOU INTO THE FUTURE.........

CALL ME NOW ONLY 10.00 PER MINUTE!

LOVE,

MISS CLEO

mopa227

Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2002 6:53:00 PM
I want to comment on the fact that the Helix method is cutting C shapings into the hair. That makes the haircut more rounded and easy to style. Being fair, if someones hair is poker straight, you will not get hair that even remotely looks like a perm. People who want to look like they have a perm need to get one. This method does not replace the perm whatsoever. I think that is a misgiving here. You will not in any way use these shears and get a white and grey rod look!! It will however have more lift and body than before. This is not a magic cut. You have to know how to manipulate the tool to work for you. If anyone here wants to talk to me, I promise no bullsh*t. I will give you straight up answers. I went to learn about this Helix because I was bored out of mind doing the same thing every day. And I plan to go to other schools and have all types of education. Knowledge is power.

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 4:44:00 AM
Sounds like a lot of fancy slithering and thinning to me, is all it is, packaged very convincingly for the gullible stylists who don't know any better, and/or who need to spend hundreds of dollars to learn how to do fancy arm and finger motions that will impress clients who of course don't know any better, because the stylist has been very well trained to convince the audience (their clients) that they NEED this technique done on them, and nothing and no one else can do it! To manipulate these clients into buying into the so-called "magic" of it.

A lot of the descriptions of classes etc, what you will learn, if you check out the site, have names that lead me to think of acting classes and ways to control and manipulate your audience. It might be initially good for shy stylists who are nervous about getting up in front of people, or even nervous one on one. Well, then why not take some classes at your local college on public speaking, it's a lot cheaper I'm sure. But, at a local college you may not learn all the aspects that you can use if you want to be like Tom Cruise's character in the movie "Magnolia": the manipulation and trickery and people control aspects of it, which are very off-putting to me. Not my bag.

They also freely advertise the school as being a CHRISTIAN-based school. So what about the non-christians out there? I gotta think that "there's a whole lotta preachin' going on!"

Good con, gotta admit!

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 8:19:00 AM
Get a Life! Do the words overly concerned about other peoples business mean anything, honey! These poor gals with the new haircut have taken a beating here. Lay off!

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 2:52:00 PM
I was just being honest. Are you referring, when you say "lay off", to the ones who think the helix is a con, or the ones who love it, or just all of us in general on both sides? I'll "lay off" when these helixers quit trying to use half of this forum for their cult's free advertising!

I'm having a good time here, NONE of this is making ME mad or upset, I find it stimulating, so if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

chris the limey
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 3:34:00 PM
Hey Anon..."Get a NAME!" LOL!

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 6:13:00 PM
READ ME!!!! ABOUT THE INVENTOR OF HELIX!!!

On the helix site (I was in hysterics at this) it says,

"Several years ago, Carole Lyden Smith dreamed of a tornado and woke up thinking of hair. In her sleep, she watched a tornado rip a swath through a forest, shredding twisted branches and leaves into a twister's trademark spiral pattern.

The message she took from her dream has inspired a groundbreaking haircutting technique and the tools to make it happen. The dream twister helped her create a way to cut hair in the same fashion a tornado cuts into a forest. She could literally cut curl into hair."

Well being VERY visual, I decided to illustrate her dream. Carole, if you are out there, I KNOW you'll find this amusing (especially as a fellow CHRIStian).

Click on dream when you click the link below guys!

Click me to peek inside Carole's
dream

Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 6:43:00 PM
How YOU durrin'? Laws, chile dere iz MO stuff from dat dere website...ah got this hear stuff an added mah own comments in parentheseses...

OUTLINE OF C.L.S.T.A. LEVEL I TRAINING

Personal Development ("How tall IS you? You looks unduh-developed to ME!")
Enrollment ("Gives us yo money")
Stage Presence ("How to play it off like you is a actriss")
Working an Audience ("Controllin' dem fools")
Voice Projection ("Hows tuh shout bettuh in a big ••• room")
Experiential Games ("Sister Cleo, where IZ you?")
Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP)("OH, PUH-LEEZE!! GURRRLLLLS! Ah don WANNA be no brainwasheded FOOL!")
Raising the Gradient of the Room ("What you talkin'? Ah jus cleaned mah room yestuhday!")
Introductions ("How YOU durrin'?")
Audience Participation ("Les all goes to Wal-Mark an participates in de sales dere!")
Body Language ("Get ouuta mah way or ah hits you upside de head!")
Effective Flip Chart Presentation ("How to turns dem tings you drew on all dos postah boards ovah, jus in case you forgots how, since you done learned dat in high school, didnja?")
Essence and Method Acting ("Les all pretens we someones else, lahk Shirley Q. Liquor.")
Selling to the Masses ("How to reel dem suckahs IN!")
Overcoming Objections ("What! You don want dees sheers? Chile, you aint RAHT! You aint don bein programmed behinds you yet!")
Bringing an Audience to Action ("Makin 'em do de actshun uv pullin dey money outta dey wallets an handin it tuh YOU!")

chris the limey
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 6:55:00 PM
I HAVE JUST DROPPED MY SANDWICH! I AM STILL LAUGHING. CAN'T SPELL AND HAVING TO KEEP CORRECTING MYSELF

Laugh again!

That was the funniest thing i have read on this board in months!
I'll be coming back for more of that!
Still smiling!
I just paused to gain control and yet i am still laughing!
The funny thing is, it's like sooooo true!
I am still eating but i can't swallow properly yet!
My keyboard is covered in bread!
What can i say, but THANKYOU SO MUCH for that! I am going to read it again!

;o)

chris the limey
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 7:00:00 PM
I'm halfway through and worried i may wake up the neighbours with my laughing.
I'm up to "brainwashed fool" and will have to stop because it is TOO funny! It is true!
Introductions now - How you durrin'?
I must stop!
This is too funny!
I wish i had of thought of that!

sparklehair
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 7:13:00 PM
SO who did the pics? you an Shirley girl Knows what i's a talkin about, lawdy lawdy chillun,yous baaad!
Laugh, I nearly bought a round!Seriously that is soo funny,but my fav is the van,are you going to put the pic on here? (wooden spoonin again)

chris the limey
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 7:19:00 PM
Wooden bloody spoonin? I guess i'll have to now! If enough people type "let us see the van" I will show them the picture of the van. If you don't know what van we are talking about, then you'd better type, "let us see the van" in your post!
It's up to you! And it is funny according to Sparklehair!

sparklehair
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 7:45:00 PM
its hilarious,come on everyone ASK HIM!

Shirley Q. Liquor

Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 8:01:00 PM
LES US SEE DUH VAN, LIMEY BOY!!!!

bj

Posted: Monday, February 11, 2002 10:57:00 PM
I have never laughed so hard in my life...Shirley Q Liquor....You go girl!!!!!!

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 3:36:00 AM
SURPRISE!!! How many of you figured out who Shirley really was?

Somes of you ah alreadys tol dat tuh.

I have since been informed that the shears used for this "technique" are actually the same kind of shears used to cut the pom-poms on poodles, so that explains a whole lot to me! Also that a lot of the whole thing is marketing and merchandising, which is exactly what I figured, and said in my last post as myself, and not as Shirley.

Miss Cleo

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 6:09:00 AM
You were gon getta Helix cut..........but you didn't

But you knew all dat.........

Call me now fer yer free readin...........

Learn the reasons behin Helix rise an fall......

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 1:36:00 PM
Hey you guys, you know helix can be fun. Have you seen "On the road with
helix?", or any of "the real client pictures", or even "the photoshoots"?
I cannot take all the credit for the pictures, as most were kindly donated by
members of this forum. One member is so confident in her abilities that she
has even given us permission to show the very first one she did, and she is
standing behind the chair. You can listen to the statement that helix is done
with poodle shears, or you can make up your own mind. This is not in anyway
associated with the helix website (honest). All I did was provide the webspace
for the pictures. It's just to show you guys that helix can be fun. Click the
link and then click on helix fun to view the pics.

Pictures of the Helix road
tour, clients and a professional photoshoot with helix models!

wackadoo
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 4:44:00 PM
lmgdfas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I LIKE it!!

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 5:30:00 PM
lmgdfas - what does this mean?
By the way anon, those pics were really great! I think I've changed my mind about helix now.

wackadoo
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 7:10:00 PM
laugh...my....***...****...*******...***...off!

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 7:28:00 PM
Ah right! I see! Thanks for the enlightenement! LOVL!
mmsiwrts!

Miss Cleo

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 7:38:00 PM
That was a Helix cut..........

But you knew all dat!

I am thinin about gettin rid o dis here turban an lettin mysef be Helix-ized!!!

I am BON AGIN!!!!!!!

CALL ME NOW FER YER FREE READIN!

Love & Kisses (but you knew all dat)

Miss Cleo

HeatherVSJ

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 7:53:00 PM
The pictures .. OHMYGOD!!.. I KNEW there was trouble during Rush Hour the other morning!! That is in Minnesota!! DON'T TELL ME THE HELIX IS HERE?!?!?!?!! *gasp**gulp*.. noooo. I avoided that route to work because of all of the traffic.. and now I KNOW WHY! *sigh*.. and I thought we were safe up here in the North Country!!

Shirley Q. Liquor

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 8:18:00 PM
You is safe nowheres, HONEY, since de helix dun sicked itself on yo po •••.

Don worry abut dos po gurrrlls who gots dat helix cut; don we alls know dat hair GROWS???

De thought occurs tuh me dat a tornado "cuttin a swath thru a forst" or whatever dat der was, is NOT a pretty sight! Jus like dem helix cuts, dey done LOOKS tornadoed tuh me!

Miss Cleo

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 8:25:00 PM
CALL ME NOW!!!!!!!!

I will tell ya dahlin..........no tornado ever looks like dat ta me...............

But you knew all dat.......

I will tell ya........

trust Miss Cleo for ALL DA ANSWERS to ALL DA QUESTIONS ya been seekin

Jus Remembah.........

Don tak no mo bootie calls at 2 am dahlin!

Miss Cleo

sparklehair
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 8:37:00 PM
Billie,its true, YOU are the real Miss Cleo too, I knows dat honey cos ahm psychic too.I also knew that was Minnesota, but what was Chris doin' there? was that why he's been missing,? hmm the mystery continues.

HeatherVSJ

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 8:41:00 PM
You mean to tell me he was in MN and didn't even tell me? sheesh!!
I'll avoid the Helix thing.. but Chris?? naaaaaaaa.. wouldn't avoid that one!! hehehe

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 8:52:00 PM
Now the Helix "name" may have been bom in Carol Lyden Smith!s dreams, but curved shears have been around a long, long time. Dog groomers have been using them for years. I called up my shears guy and asked him how long they've been around. He tells me he bought his first pair over twenty years ago from Pivot Point. Pivot Point used to teach a method of undercutting which utilized curved shears. Indeed, a number of manufacturers still make curved blade shears which can be bought for $125 to $175. (I would guess that the Helix shear wholesales for about $150.) So it should be some comfort to you knowing that there really is nothing new here in terms of technology. As for the torquing, he tells me this is commonly done to any shear for use by left- handed stylists in order to force some measure of control back into the actual cutting process. Apparently, left handers using conventional right-handed shears have a natural tendency to pinch their blades together, and torquing - putting a slight twist into the hollow of the blade - compensates for this and brings the blades into a more natural cutting action for left-handers. So, again, nothing new here either.

What is new here is a rather aggressive marketing campaign for an old idea which uses old technology. How do you make an old idea seem fresh, new and exciting? You dress it up with a contemporary-sounding name, add some glitz and flash, insist on personal hands-on instruction as though you have to be licensed to even handle them, and then get some high-profile exposure in InStyle magazine. - 1. - - starters, but at the end of the day you're left holding a pair of shears that are only cutting the hair OFF. And this can happen only at that where the two blades cross each other. If you could fashion a pair of shears would they cut loops and circles into the hair?? No, they would still just cut the hair off. As will a straight razor, a well-honed meat cleaver, an extra sharp hedge trimmer, pinking shears, etc., etc., etc.
How do you handle it? The folks who have been to the mountain top and bought into this hoax are highly encouraged to charge exorbitant amounts for this "cut". They probably have to just to pay off the $495 (!) price tag. Again, when I am asked by my customers about the Helix shears or the Helix cut, I tell them I'll gladly charge them $50 or $60 to cut their hair with dog grooming shears, but if they want curl or wave I'll have to get out the perrn rods and perms cost extra. Since I automatically add volume and texture to every cut I do by placing precision, engineered layers within the cut, I point out to them that they're already getting the extra volume and control at no charge. But if they want me to twist their hair in one inch sections and pop, slide, slither, notch or otherwise texturize and take weight out to free up their natural curl and volume... then I might as well charge extra for the floor show.
Let's be realistic. Some people are always gonna go for the sizzle and not the steak. To them, I say godspeed. Fortunately for us, there are more people interested in the steak. Be honest with your clients, do the absolute best work you can, and always ask for the refeffal business. You want clients who appreciate who you are and what you do. You don't want clients who want you only beacuse you're charging premium rates because they'll be gone just as soon as the guy down the street raises his/her rates.

Miss Cleo

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 8:58:00 PM
Did Ya ever see the episode from Sat night live????????

Yes you knew all dat......

He had is butt crack peekin out?????

Ya......das what I thought.......

But you knew all dat!

Miss Cleo

madame tu tu

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 9:23:00 PM
Miss Cleo, I sees a bright future........yes, someone is sending yous a gift, no two gifts, I see it clearly,'''Yes! you will be earning more money with this gift,its verr verr special!take a look in your mail box

Shirley Q. Liquor

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 9:30:00 PM
No, ma'ams. Ah's NOT de real Miss Cleo, will de real Miss Cleo puh-leeze stands UP? C'mon , chile! Shows yo littel butt!

madame tu tu

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 9:36:00 PM
yes, ah sees now, de name is........ its on the tips of my tongues, begins with m, an she from near Chicago.

Shirley Q. Liquor

Posted: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 9:46:00 PM
HA! C'mon, ah knows yo is DERE!

Miss Cleo

Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 6:10:00 AM
Call me now.........

So sorry..........takin the late night booty call

But you knew all dat!

Miss Cleo

Mary
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 8:01:00 AM
Hi Billie

Did you know there are several Nioxin designers trained as Helix PHD designers.. Just wondering if you know, actually some of their platform artists. Also several with ARTec systems Group.

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 9:47:00 AM
Okay....so? I am not trying to jump on you in particular for saying that, really, but I am sorry, that doesn't impress me, as I could care less about any "name-dropping" connected to this helix thing. It doesn't matter what "VIP"s anyone says are using it/trained in it, I am not impressed and I am frankly alternately horrified and amused by the whole thing, especially now that the real "magic" behind it has been exposed here...poodle shears!!! Oh my GOD!!!

Obviously a very good money-making angle, I'll give the helixers and the founder that much. But, you can call it whatever you want, and drop big names, etc, and it's still just a gimmick. I don't like gimmicks and trickery like this, it's manipulative and cheesy, and it reminds me of things like the Kinzu steak knife commercials from the 70's. How about "Mr. Microphone"? Am I letting my age show? Well, that's fine by me.

The best post for exposing the whole "secret" so far is the one by "smart post from a friend", did you read it? No, I did NOT write that, I wish I had though. It's an old post copied and pasted from another forum when this subject came up awhile back there, I am told.

mg3310

Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 5:34:00 PM
I am not impressed with the Helix system either......I also believe it to be a big scam and I can't see the point of it.....

I enjoy learning new things just like anyone else but I would not be interested in this.....I could never see doing this on anyone since I have a wide range of clients I wouldn't want to "Limit" myself to one form of cutting.......

Mary:::)))

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2002 8:18:00 PM
And, not matter WHO has training in it, I don't care, it doesn't change the truth BEHIND it!!! You can try to justify it all you want...doesn't change the bare bones facts behind it!

DR. EVIL

Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2002 3:09:00 PM
Please! Cal me DOCTOR Evil! I didn't go to Evil School for six years to NOT be called Doctor.

Sorry, gotta go, my fembot is waiting eagerly for me, along with Ivana Humpalot. Austin Powers must DIE!

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 11:52:00 AM
No one said you had to limit yourself to one method. There is no law that states you can't use more than one! P.S. If I wanted a name I would get one!

chris the limey
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 1:38:00 PM
Quite frankly, this is going no-where. I wonder if half of you would waste this much time if your name was anon. 1 or anon. 2 and was the same each time you logged in? Mine's the same, Billie's, Statikman, mg3310 and a whole load of others. If people have a problem they know who to question further, and can leave the others out of it. It's anons like you who make us ask, "Why have the anon. option?"
We've even tried comedy lately to ease this subject (and others), but like an untrained apprentice you just keep coming back all of the time with your answers. At one time, there were three seperate topics for these marvelous "shears", and 'as good as they are', you'd think at $1000 a pop for each one of us converted that the company would fork out for some proper advertising on the site and help the team who produce it (that is how they make THEIR money for all this), instead of spamming the board all of the time for free!
I've been introduced to Elumen, Nioxin, Paul Mitchell and loads of other companies through this site, but not in the way Helix has tried to introduce me.
That's what stinks about this whole campaign, and sorry, but most of us are dead against this method of advertising. That is why we've assumed that Helix is not a professional company, because it doesn't act professionally.
It's making a large proportion of the members on this site seem unreasonable, when actually we are. We talk on other boards in a manner completely different to here, for the simple reason we don't have "new people" suddenly showing up, and thinking we owe them a living.
I'm pig sick of this whole attitude that we are just lowly hairstylists with a computer who will take it off everyone we meet without defending ourselves.
We have a great community here and I would be lost without it. My clients (even my parents) know alot of you by your given names and things we have discussed. That's how much a part of my life this community is, and to have it torn apart by "new members (who NEVER have an email address)" that as far as I am concerned are joining this community only the potential profit, and not the support we can offer to each other just annoys me so much. I feel as if "my family" are being victimised and have jumped in on the defence more than once or twice, but I have a feeling it is us who end up worse off for this anyway.
I'm not talking about the recent disagreements. After all, we shouldn't be afraid to do that. That is what is good about a community like this one. Heck, sometimes I'll disagree with "Bill33man" on one subject, and totally agree with him on another. I'm talking about the other stuff.
Most recently I was very upset that someone used Billie's father's suicide as a way to get even. I'm sure everyone else agrees with me that this is just NOT acceptable.
Then we have people talking about "theory of hair", (posted as anon. AGAIN!) and when asked what they mean told to "suc..."; well I'm sure you know what we were told to do. Again, comedy was resorted to in order to sort it out.
I'm not perfect (infact I'm a long way off!) but couldn't we get some simple rules together about how to deal with these sorts of posts? Spammers, people who post as anon. JUST to antagonise us, and "evil christians" who think it's acceptable to taunt members about very painful histories plus all the rest.
We like having a laugh, we like to be able to open up to the rest of the community, but how can we do this when these sorts of people intrude here?
And please don't say just ignore it. That's what we do ALL day with some clients and co-workers, as well as our personal lives.
Coming here, we should be able to let down our guards, but is it any wonder some of us react the way we do when we are faced with all of the above?

I'm not sure, and if you've read down to here, thanks so much for your attention. I just really felt I had to get this off my chest. Thankyou FRIEND.
:o)

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 3:23:00 PM
Well, of course I read it all, Chris, because I AM one of your e-friends, "Little Bro". And very well written it was!

Kellie
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 3:40:00 PM
I couldn't have said it better. That is perfect and to the point! Great post Chris!

mg3310

Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 4:41:00 PM
Yes Chris...........I agree with you as well......very well said :::)))

sparklehair
Silver Member

Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2002 4:51:00 PM
Well said Chris, I was going to give this site a rest cos I was so sick of the downright nasty posts that were turning up,hence no posts from me on the subject recently!
anyroad up that made me laugh when you said 'pig sick' Its amazing how you forget these little sayings from blighty, I had the staff in stitches the other day when I told one of them they lived in 'cloud cuckoo land' that was a first,anyway that ends things on amuch lighter note, can we get back to the original agenda which was helping each other? and once again thankyou Chris for bringing our little group back together!.

Lila
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2002 2:35:00 PM
I did give this site a rest.

If for no other reason than I can talk to some of you on other -more polite- sites.
I feel everyone is entitled to their opinion. In my defense Chris, I often don't post my e-mail here. Quite frankly there are just too many people here that I would prefer didn't have it.

But the truth is there really is alot of support here if you look for it. There is still alot of nastiness but there are also alot of new members that are smart and savvy and I'm enjoying their opinions.

I think that this site will improve over time for all the stylists/owners out there who are not just putting up with the status quo and have great ideas to improve things and are willing to support each other's success.

We may have to read some cheesy ads but I think it would be sad if people with intelligent opinions stop posting here. I know the politics (of this site) can sometimes be annoying but most of us can see through it.

mopa227

Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 10:25:00 PM
Chris my name is Amanda and you may e-mail me , write to my home address, come and visit me at work, or even give me a ring. I like the Helix method, my customers like the Helix method and you are not being nice to some people in here about this. Your comment about "evil Christians" was unfair. All people have beliefs that should be respected in our great country. Just because the founder of Helix claims to love God does not mean that all of their so called followers are 700 club watching, freaks!!! :) Some of us went to the school to learn something new. I intend to go to many schools and learn many things. I have said in here before that I think we as hairstylist do not get the respect we deserve. I wish only the best for everyone who stands behind a chair for a living! There is nothing wrong with being curious about Helix or anything else for that matter. Please don't discredit me as a dedicated stylist for my curiosity. My number one priority is the satisfaction of my customers. If they are happy, I made someone's day. Isn't that what our job is all about? I had to get that off my chest!!! Much love to you and your success, Amanda

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 5:04:00 AM
Try reading Chris's post again, Amanda. He didn't mean ALL Christians, he just meant the extremist psycho ones, like the person who made that heinous remark about my father. I think that was pretty clear in his post. As far as his "not being nice", he was just being HONEST! The Helix method is not based on honesty, sorry to say.

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 7:49:00 PM
This site is titled Helix and so far the only people in here are not trained in this method. I am an intellegent person with knowledge of my trade and I feel very uncomfortable in here. There have been religious remarks that are very childish and mean. You all enjoy your prejudice site and I won't be coming here anymore. I am sure you will all talk about me like a dog now so I will let you cyber-bullies take the stage. Forgive the fools who dare question the "regulars" on this site. If you think helix is a bunch of crap, why are you in here? Oh, I know, to slap anyone who dares say otherwise in the face. I am posting anon because no one here deserves to know me. I posted before and was nothing short of kind. I was treated with disrespect and hostility. Mainly by Billie and Chris the Limey. My advice, practice what you preach!!!!! You are quick to shed a tear because others are mean to you guys but turn around and judge anyone and everyone here. Good luck to you and yours.

sparklehair
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2002 8:38:00 PM
I think if anyones been treated with disrespect and and hostility its been Billie! Wake up and smell the coffee! what am i sayimg, you probably wont come here again, and thats a shame.

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, February 22, 2002 1:02:00 AM
Billie is a lesbian confused @ss biatch!!!!!!!!!!!

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, February 22, 2002 4:46:00 AM
Yada yada yada, that was funny, silly anon, and thanks Sparks. By the way, making nasty statements about anyone's sexuality amounts to prejudice. I was about to clarify mine but don't even feel like it now. YAWN.

wackadoo
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, February 22, 2002 6:29:00 AM
Sticks and stones may break bones...but Jeezy Chrizzy... get a little more flippin creative would ya?

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, February 22, 2002 7:12:00 AM
ISP addresses next to posts...another subject here, but very related...I really think it'd be a great idea if this forum were reformulated so that everyone's ISP number would show up by every post they made here...that way there would BE no true anons, because you could tell by the number next to the post who was who, even in that limited capacity. Also would help with the trolls, as it'd be easy to report them that way.

Now that I've had enough coffee, I think this person that just made that comment to me is the same troll from Theory of Hair. Best to fuggeduboutit.

Also, having your ISP address show up next to your posts does NOT leave you wide open to personal attacks on your home computer, as some people have asked my husband (a computer geek by trade)...it's not that simple.

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, February 22, 2002 10:58:00 AM
Its IPS address you freak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kellie
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, February 22, 2002 11:34:00 AM
do i have someone else i can use for target practice???

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, February 22, 2002 1:00:00 PM
Uhmm, on this planet it's not IPS...here on Earth, ISP stands for Internet Service Provider.

Hey Kellie, Sparks and Wackodoo...wassup?

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, February 22, 2002 1:02:00 PM
Here on Earth, ISP stands for Internet Service Provider.

Hey, Kellie, Sparks, and Wackadoo, wassup?

Sarah

Posted: Monday, April 22, 2002 2:37:00 PM
I know this has been a closed conversation for a while, but I just have to give my anti-testimonial. I went to the Birmingham Premiere show last week, and the Helix folks were there showing their "technique" and "styling" the hair afterward. They should have been embarrassed. They were in front of a bunch of salon professionals, putting on their show, praising each other on how wonderful the cuts looked, and all of us around them were just kind of looking at them going "HUH?". They made the styles look very dated (about from the mid 80's) and not once did the girls look more curly than they did before, even after all their fancy scrunching and twisting. One of their devotees was demonstrating a cut, and when someone asked her how much her helix haircuts went for, she was very evasive, saying "about twice what my regular haircuts cost" and wouldnt elaborate even on what her regular haircuts were. I was very unimpressed, and will never waste my time paying attention to their shpeel ever again. They offered everyone who stopped by their booth a chance to win something, like a free shear or a free tuition to their school, and I flatly told her that I wouldnt want it, free or not. She looked at me like I said I wouldnt want a million dollars!! I just thought I would post my own Helix experience, because I wanted to give a first person perspective that was AGAINST all the propaghanda they have thrown at this board in the past. Their website really looked like the best case scenarios, because what they were turning out in front of people didnt even look as good as those terrible photos.

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Monday, April 22, 2002 5:23:00 PM
I TOOK THE HELIX CHALLENGE RECENTLY! And here's my "Report". I was going to wait a little longer before going into it here, but since someone else brought the subject back upI recently went to a local all-day class, including a hands-on afternoon...I thought I should finally "put my money where my mouth is" since I heard this dare over and over from Happy Helixers on this board awhile back...SOOOOO...

To be fair, the instructors were VERY nice and personable, as they should be, as any salesperson or company rep etc should be. Very friendly, hospitable, and really into the whole concept etc.

Not one word about religion was spoken, much to my surprise.

To get to the story on this Helix stuff...drum rolllllllll...

It IS NOTHING BUT A FANCY WAY TO THIN AND TEXTURIZE THE HAIR. You will HAVE to charge a buttload for these haircuts, like they tell you to do, as they easily take an hour each to do, but mainly I am thinking that you are going to need all that money to pay for your shoulder, neck and wrist surgery (especially carpal tunnel syndrome) and/or painkillers that you will eventually need, if you do these haircuts all the time.

They also of course have a retail line that you MUST buy in order for the styles and cuts to work. And there's the shears...which are VERY expensive. If I remember correctly there are SEVEN in all, but you CANT buy them all at once of course.noooo not until youve paid for even MORE training.

NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING in this world will convince me that you need these shears to do these cuts. And frankly I hate the way the cuts look. How is it done? You use the torqued shears to cut the perimeter first, there is a fancy-shmancy way they tell you to hold your fingers etc and flip the hair as you cut it, to me that does nothing but raise your risk of cutting yourself, and it looks showy.

Then you move to the interior of the hair; basically you take a section or so of about an inch-two inches square, like I do when I wrap a spiral perm, then tightly pull it up into a "ponytail", and then twist it to the right or left very very tightly, then take your Helix shears and starting about an inch or so away from the scalp (staying away form the front hairline etc like you might when doing regular thinning, and of course the basic rules of thinning apply here, as this is really JUST THINNING), you hold the shears with the curved tip going up, and holding the shears horizontally, open them slightly, then without closing the shears, guide the ponytail at a right angle to it, and rotate or twist the shears in the direction you twisted the hair in, which if done correctly, thins the hair. THINS the hair. Removes weight. If you are not careful you chop off the whole "ponytail", and they get very excited when someone does thsi by accident. When I said, "Isn't this thinning the hair?") I was told no, not really. Sorry, but I don't buy it. It takes a long time to cut a whole head of hair like this. It is THINNING, a fancy way to do it, you don't need these shears to do it, period. That's just silly..for the person having to BUY these things.

The ingredients on the products that you MUST use before and after the cuts just have a lot of moisturizers and botanicals (I looked at the backs)in them, and they are expensive and smell nice. You are told you cannot do this cut on hair with little elasticity (well, THAT one made sense to me, because you are twisting and pulling the hair from the head as you thin it, which can't be easy on the hair.)

I saw it demonstrated on another student who was there, she had naturally wavy hair, so GUESS WHAT? After the excess weight was removed, I mean after she was HELIXED, her hair looked curlier, big surprise. And dont say it works on straight hair too! I let them Helix mine, and it just looked thinned to me. With more volume because weight was removed...

I also heard the term "cutting away the negative space" used several times. "It's not like thinning, it's like a tornado, it creates volume, and takes out negative space." When I told the owner of my shop this last statement that was made to me, she said, "A tornado? That just tears the hell out of it!" Negative space was defined as areas in the hair that are undesirable...some nonsensical explanation/term trying to equate it with sculpture was used... More fancy names that mean nothing.

And when you do the "retouch cut" sometimes you just do the new growth instead of the whole shaft of the ponytail, otherwise of course the hair gets too stringy and thin towards the ends.
We did the hands-on on mannequins, and you know how those things have kind of ratty hair anywaywe did the cut on one side of the head only, after doing all the special shampoo etc first that you are

sparklehair
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, April 22, 2002 6:03:00 PM
so Billie this sounds exactly like the twist cutting technique i've used for years, and just think i could have been charging 100's of $'s lol.
I think we should have a whip round!( a collection)I cant belive how good you were, but I would have had to open my big gob on the PHD mularky!how could you keep quiet? its not like you Billie.
and I was very interested to see the letter above too!

Mary:::

Posted: Monday, April 22, 2002 7:47:00 PM
BRAVO.........Billie........you tried it and didn't like it like Mikey would say LOL.....I am glad you at least gave it a try even though we all knew it was a scam..........I think we all need to send Billie five bucks to pay for her class LOL............

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 4:12:00 AM
Sparks, I don't know HOW I kept quiet...I think a lot of the reason is because I felt I was on "their" turf, and didn't want to be a disruptive influence during their class. I also felt that I should behave just so that no one would act "funny" around me, and I could get the whole HELIX EXPERIENCE...plus I was honestly being as receptive as I could be, just in case I WAS wrong, and there was some "magic" etc to it...they had traveled a long way to do the class, and I felt I should keep my big mouth shut at that time.

The hardest part was when someone asked me what I thought of how the mannequin looked after the cut and dry...I had a REALLY hard time then not saying "Well, it looks like crap to me, and frankly one side doesn't look much different than the other, just one side is thinnerand less heavy...it really just looks like a tangled mess to me!" THAT was the hard part. I stood there with that mannequin head in my hand, looking at it this way and that (and ALL the heads looked nasty) thinking, "Okay, THIS does it, this is ridiculous, lemme outta here, I wanna go home, I need a drink. NOW."

If one of them calls me over the phone (they have my home phone number, I gave it to them!!!) I will firmly tell them what I think of the whole thing. Of course the first thing I said to my husband when I got home was, "Get out of my way, I need a drink!!!"

This forum is for information, well here's mine. I shelled out the bucks, let no one know I was skeptical, sat through the whole •••• day of it, listened to everything they said, did everything they said to do (except throw away any MORE of my money), was open-minded and receptive, then by the end of the hands-on I was running out of patience especially with all the nonsensical language being thrown around, I am sure plenty of people will still fall for the scam/gimmick, which is unfortunate...except for the people raking in the dough. It WAS like "The Emperors' New Clothes" story...except I wasn't too embaressed to pipe up and say "The Emperor's naked!", I just felt it was not the time and place for it. I REALLY really tried to "see his new set of clothes", but sorry folks he was buck-naked, and those "clothes" cost a BUNDLE.

What kills me is when I watched it, the whole thing is just so obviously COMMON SENSE! It's just FANCY THINNING. Actually it seems to tear the hair up too, which didn't surprise me...hence the absolute NECESSITY of all their very moisturizing products for before and after use on the hair...

Kellie
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 8:31:00 AM
Thank you Billie for all the info! A fancy way of thinning hair, ha, just what I thought! I'll stick with MY way of thinning hair, for one, it's a faster way, and no pricy shears needed!

We as stylists are to make the hair beautiful, not a "tornado" like mess! Just my opinion.

Spikestar!
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2002 8:47:00 PM
Thank God there are still inteligent people around that know when they are being ripped-off! Hellix-shmelix. Congratulations for having the freedom of telling it like it is, an old technique of cutting,thinning and a big sham1 Good for you not to be scared to call them on it. Thank you! I hate to see innocent people get ripped-off.

LeeshieB

Posted: Thursday, April 25, 2002 6:28:00 PM
I thank you Billie for really taking the time and money to take the class, and I thank you even more for sharing. I also bow to you in awe of your patience. I've been "escorted" out of more classes than I can count, especially for stating the obvious. I can't imagine the stress that would put the hair under, let alone how it would look as it's growing out. And of course they have products...essential to the whole look. I always thought it was a great cut that started everything. It's a shame that people get sucked in and invest before they realize it.

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, April 26, 2002 7:24:00 AM
For non-Helix fun and a good laugh, check this link out...this must be for desperate consumers missing a few marbles...I burst out laughing when this came up in a search for curved shears etc and shears, and of course I pulled up a great site with curved shears for dog grooming...I restrained myself and decided to post this instead:

http://www.flowbee.com/

Anyone here see the movie "Wayne's World", and remember Dana Carvey's character getting a "suck-cut" from a visitor on the Wayne's World show?

"Woahhhhh! Woahhhhh! It's suckin' my WILL TO LIVE, man!" he said...

This Is Lisa

Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2002 9:12:00 PM
After reading your interesting discussion on the Helix shears and cut,I would like to share my experience with this dreadful idea.

I live in a nieghboring county of Sevierville, Tennessee, home of the Helix cut founder, so needless to say I have had my fair share of REPAIR work from these wacked cuts. So many I cannot count. I have examed and examed these cuts on these poor decieved souls and I cannot find where it does anything it says it does, and usually takes about 3-4 Haircuts to fix their shredded hair.

I checked out the website you guys stated in previous discusions and I could not beleive my eyes. That Carol-woman is the same woman we have always made fun of on the Royal Beauty Supply Fall hair show posters. Whomever she worked for at the time, she always used the same picture of herself every year. It was taken in the mid-eighties, Large hair, cut asymetical. She used this picture for at least 10 years. We as Hair Stylist are know for our style and creativity and to use the same picture for 10 years is a down right shame to our profession.

By the way, Paul Mitchell has carried an arch shear for about 12 years and you can buy them at hairshows for about 125.00.

Thanks for listening. :)

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Sunday, May 05, 2002 6:47:00 AM
Okay, sorry I had to add this...yesterday at the shop, I looked in the mirror and noticed little "sprouts" coming off the top of my head....well, that's just great I thought, where in the sam hill did THESE come from? I realized what it was in no time, guess what?....my own "Helix" cut is growing out, remember when I said I took that class and let them Helix the top of my hair? Well, now I have all these stupid little sprigs shooting off from the top, this is just great. NOT. So I got out the hairspray. This is just like what happens when hair has been haphazardly THINNED.

vicki bristol

Posted: Monday, October 14, 2002 4:11:00 PM
I am teaching the Twist-a-shear class in michigan its a one day class to teach you the first step. then if you believe, you can go on to the Helix Acadamy for the rest. This class teaches you the Twisting needed to cut curl into hair.The way to test hair to make sure it can recieve the cut. I will help with obstacles you will have to overcome,with co-workers and clients.advertising that works. and how to talk to your clients
www.vickibiz.com

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 4:44:00 AM
well i think we've already discovered the ruse behind all this helix stuff, need we go on?

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 7:20:00 AM
SMALL MINDS ARE THE FIRST TO CONDEMN GREAT IDEAS.

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 7:46:00 AM
And smart minds are the first to notice a scam.

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, October 18, 2002 3:59:00 PM
I TOOK THE HELIX CHALLENGE A FEW MONTHS AGO! And here's my "Report". I was going to wait a little longer before going into it here, but since someone else brought the subject back upI recently went to a local all-day class, including a hands-on afternoon...I thought I should finally "put my money where my mouth is" since I heard this dare over and over from Happy Helixers on this board awhile back...SOOOOO...

To be fair, the instructors were VERY nice and personable, as they should be, as any salesperson or company rep etc should be. Very friendly, hospitable, and really into the whole concept etc.

Not one word about religion was spoken, much to my surprise.

To get to the story on this Helix stuff...drum rolllllllll...

It IS NOTHING BUT A FANCY WAY TO THIN AND TEXTURIZE THE HAIR. You will HAVE to charge a buttload for these haircuts, like they tell you to do, as they easily take an hour each to do, but mainly I am thinking that you are going to need all that money to pay for your shoulder, neck and wrist surgery (especially carpal tunnel syndrome) and/or painkillers that you will eventually need, if you do these haircuts all the time.

They also of course have a retail line that you MUST buy in order for the styles and cuts to work. And there's the shears...which are VERY expensive. If I remember correctly there are SEVEN in all, but you CANT buy them all at once of course.noooo not until youve paid for even MORE training.

NOTHING, I repeat NOTHING in this world will convince me that you need these shears to do these cuts. And frankly I hate the way the cuts look. How is it done? You use the torqued shears to cut the perimeter first, there is a fancy-shmancy way they tell you to hold your fingers etc and flip the hair as you cut it, to me that does nothing but raise your risk of cutting yourself, and it looks showy.

Then you move to the interior of the hair; basically you take a section or so of about an inch-two inches square, like I do when I wrap a spiral perm, then tightly pull it up into a "ponytail", and then twist it to the right or left very very tightly, then take your Helix shears and starting about an inch or so away from the scalp (staying away form the front hairline etc like you might when doing regular thinning, and of course the basic rules of thinning apply here, as this is really JUST THINNING), you hold the shears with the curved tip going up, and holding the shears horizontally, open them slightly, then without closing the shears, guide the ponytail at a right angle to it, and rotate or twist the shears in the direction you twisted the hair in, which if done correctly, thins the hair. THINS the hair. Removes weight. If you are not careful you chop off the whole "ponytail", and they get very excited when someone does thsi by accident. When I said, "Isn't this thinning the hair?") I was told no, not really. Sorry, but I don't buy it. It takes a long time to cut a whole head of hair like this. It is THINNING, a fancy way to do it, you don't need these shears to do it, period. That's just silly..for the person having to BUY these things.

The ingredients on the products that you MUST use before and after the cuts just have a lot of moisturizers and botanicals (I looked at the backs)in them, and they are expensive and smell nice. You are told you cannot do this cut on hair with little elasticity (well, THAT one made sense to me, because you are twisting and pulling the hair from the head as you thin it, which can't be easy on the hair.)

I saw it demonstrated on another student who was there, she had naturally wavy hair, so GUESS WHAT? After the excess weight was removed, I mean after she was HELIXED, her hair looked curlier, big surprise. And dont say it works on straight hair too! I let them Helix mine, and it just looked thinned to me. With more volume because weight was removed...

I also heard the term "cutting away the negative space" used several times. "It's not like thinning, it's like a tornado, it creates volume, and takes out negative space." When I told the owner of my shop this last statement that was made to me, she said, "A tornado? That just tears the hell out of it!" Negative space was defined as areas in the hair that are undesirable...some nonsensical explanation/term trying to equate it with sculpture was used... More fancy names that mean nothing.

And when you do the "retouch cut" sometimes you just do the new growth instead of the whole shaft of the ponytail, otherwise of course the hair gets too stringy and thin towards the ends.
We did the hands-on on mannequins, and you know how those things have kind of ratty hair anywaywe did the cut on one side of the head only, after doing all the special shampoo etc first that

vicki

Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2002 5:22:00 AM
to all "HELIX" nonbelievers check out thinkubator with ruth roche on this website (behind the chair.com) its not about the "helix" but its about changing our thinking and moving on to the next level in our careers...

Anonymous

Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2002 5:27:00 AM
all stylists who read Billies report... she is one person! lets hear from all the people who are doing the "Helix" cutting method, and making more money!

Anonymous

Posted: Sunday, October 20, 2002 8:14:00 AM
This topic had been beat to death already...that's why the smart ones who know what's behind this so called hair cut leave it alone....we all have better things to talk about. Besides how can you helix followers sleep at night knowing your "suckering" a client? shame shame shame!!!!
A fancy way to thin hair, that's ALL that it is!!
Helix believers~so tell me, how many cuts do you do on those with stick straight hair??? oh that's right, those types are not able to get that type of cut...only the ones with already curly hair, permed hair....which in my opinion is good because at least those poor individuals can't see how their hair REALLY looks...
Thank gosh my town is is over this "suckering method of cutting", the clients that got this so called helix cut....hated it!!!

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, July 30, 2003 1:26:00 PM
This is a professional trade forum?
You people call yourself professionals?
You've got to be kidding me!

Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 10:34:00 PM
About 3 weeks ago,I decided to get my hair color for the first time in my life. My hairdresser was telling me about helix haircut because my hair is very straight and she explained that it would give me body and curl as well. She show me this video on how they done the cuts and how curly the hair became so I agreed to have this helix cut because I wanted some curls alone with my new haircolor, she style my hair and I had some body to my hair she told me to apply hair gel from the back and work the gel to the front to give me curls and let it dry by itself. The next day, I did what she said I used the shampoo, conditioner and gel that I purchased from her but my hair is still straight when I let it dry by itself. I have a little bit of body than before but I was hoping for some curls. Are there different types of shears for curly or for body? Or would I be better off getting a perm? Please help!

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 7:34:00 AM
Sorry Brenda, you were lied to and scammed by a small part of this industry that the rest of us think is a joke. Return the product and ask for a refund on the cut. If you read all the posts above yours, you will discover what Helix is really all about.

Brenda B.

Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 8:44:00 AM
Thank you for the advice and you are right I should ask for my money back. After I post my letter I did read what everyone had to say about helix cut and now I know that it was too good to be true.( Having curls cut in your hair ) It make me mad because I thought that I finally found a good hairdresser I love the color she did and I also trusted her and ask her about this type of cut vs. a body perm and I went with the cut because I got my hair color and I knew that I could'nt have a perm at the same time. So now what the best way to undo this cut or can it be undone?

color u 2
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 4:18:00 PM
You can't undo a cut, it has to be grown out. Call the stylist that gave you that cut and ask her where your curls are? Make her live up to her promises (which in this situation, she can't), but just out of curiosity, see what she has to say. She should at least refund you for the cut.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 12:30:00 AM
Brenda you don't need a hairstylist you need a therapist or perhaps a psychic who can curl your hair. What made you think that such rubbish could possibly be true? You got what you deserved.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 12:36:00 AM
How can professionally trained hairstylists possibly believe this crap either? You should be ashamed of yourselves for perpetrating a scam on the public. A straight hair type cannot change it's fundamental nature by cutting the strand, it can only be accomplished with chemicals.

sizz
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 3:33:00 AM
I've got to agree w/ you on this one Britboy.......I remember when this "phase" of cut/curling came out and I just laughed out loud when I saw it (I think at a show). Amazing that a pro could be doupped.

statikman
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 7:47:00 AM
Britboy, I hate to look like I'm hounding you this morning but how could you say she got what she deserved? The fact is, she was sold a bogus product by a licensed tradesperson working in a licensed business. She was lied to and scammed, but it's not her fault. Most people assume, as they should, that their stylist has their best interests at heart.

Brenda

Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 12:46:00 PM
Britboy, First of all I don't need a therapist or a psychic just an honest stylist. By the way,I'm not a professionally trained hairstylist as you put it. I did not ask or deserved to be lied to. You are right on one thing that I did believe in such rubbish could possibly be true. If you are a hairstylist,I feel sorry for your clients for having to deal with your attitude or maybe the clients are like me that they live in a small town and don't have many stylists to choose from.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 7:35:00 PM
The size of your town doesn't preclude you from understanding that it's always BUYER BEWARE...
If you aren't a hairstylist, why are you on this board at all?

maggimypet

Posted: Thursday, February 12, 2004 9:45:00 PM
i remember when i was 10 or so, there was this shampoo out that would 'curl' your hair...

yeah.i fell for that one. shampood myself like 4 times and wtf? no curl ><

<--smartest peanut in the doo
:p

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, February 13, 2004 6:48:00 AM
caveat emptor
hey brit-still haven't said what mags you write for-is it a secret?