Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > How do you handle clents who take advatage?
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:31:01 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: How do you handle clents who take advatage?
Annjay

Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2001 7:30:00 PM
I have a few clients who come to me for haircuts and always refuse the finishing service so they don't have to pay the extra money but they never want to leave with wet hair. I always dry the front a bit so they can see some of what the finished style would look like nd then I end up quickly drying the rest of it But I tend to get carried away. By the time they leave they have practically had a complete blowdry. I know this habit is my own falt but how do I stop doing this. I am never satisfied with the look till I've worked in some finishing touches. How can I sell them styling products if they won't let me finish. Any ideas on this problem?

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2001 9:23:00 PM
One way I found is to just resign myself to drying the hair with a cut.By drying it , I mean blowing it and not taking great pains to manipulate it.It will look much like an air dry. And at the moment I pick up a brush,I regard it as a "style". If the customer is trying to make you do this and that. Finish the job,make them look beautiful and charge them. Or if that makes you uncomfortable. Put some product on,manipulate the style a little and offer to have them sit under the dryer.

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2001 9:26:00 PM
In our salon, we have 2 prices for women's haircuts. The first is $24 and that is for a shampoo and cut. Then it's $32 for shampoo, cut & style. So obviously, people try to do the same thing to me all the time. They don't want to pay the extra money, but they don't want to leave with a wet head. So this is what I tell them. "The minute I pick up the blowdryer, it's $32, so you might as well get it completely styled." So far, that's worked nicely. They get the point, and will usually get the styling done too.

taylor

Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2001 12:53:00 PM
Here is your answer: one price. I charge one price for a haircut and this is whether or not they get it styled or not. I do this for several reasons: I dont get used, I cant stand sending a client out with wet hair because i have to see the end result that I have worked so hard for, there may be some additional cutting or texturizing that needs to be done that can only be told by blowdrying the hair. Noone has had a problem with this. And in the future if I sense that they do I will politely let them know it is the best way for them to get a haircut that works.

Bill Hays

Posted: Monday, May 21, 2001 1:46:00 AM
Even nice people will try to get something for nothing, but they will only respect you if you out-smart them! I agree that the best way to do a quality cut is to finish and adjust it afterward. But trying to build a clientele by insisting on this will be difficult. You could start by telling the client that there will be an additional charge if they need to come in for an adjustment because something doesn't work right. I'm moving into the "total package" concept by starting to charge for finishing with all chemical work - you leave with wet hair, it's the same price. Most people want to see their hair dry after a perm, color, or hiliting - so there should be less resistance. They don't want to pay for the styling, but they're afraid to leave wet, in case something didn't go right.

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, June 11, 2001 3:18:00 PM
I tell my clients that the difference between a good haircut and a great haircut lays in the finishing touches. I tell them I can't let them go out the door wet because I don't know how it will shrink up. I may need to texturize more or see how the bangs or back is laying once all those natural "cowlicks" kick in and shrink the style.

I think if they think that I am not happy with the results, then maybe it is worth the extra money. Always make a big deal out of checking when it is dry though.

debbie

Posted: Monday, June 18, 2001 12:21:00 AM
One thing that has worked nicely for me is to post a "salon menu" on the wall, complete with prices of all services. I listed cut and cut with style prices.Everytime they visit the salon,they are able to see this. I also ask them when they call if they want a cut or a cut with style as I book accordingly.That way, you are not put behind expecting only to cut.I agree,I always prefer to style a cut to be able to fine tune it.But there are those too, with that thick long hair,that I wish would style their own : ): )

pinkrazor

Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 10:06:00 PM
i agree, i have a one price hair cut. 25.00( if it is a non-helix cut) and if it is a helix cut then it starts at 75.00 the blo-drying is just thrown in. unless..... they have long curly thick hair and i charge extra to blo dry straight. i tell them that i need to see it dry to finish the styling. that is what they are paying for. if they insist on it being wet when they leave then it is still the same price but i let them know the difference is in the details.

Spikestar!
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 10:13:00 PM
Well, I have a price for short hair cuts (40), medium(50), and long (60), this price includes shampoo, conditioner if neccesary and finishing IE: blow dry,diffuser,or set. No discounts for leaving with wet hair, no discussions allowed. That is our policy! And I refuse to allow the client to bring their own color product. This most be posted by the reception area clearly. The prices of services clearly, no exceptions. It makes for a professional salon.

glamrockgirl

Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2001 9:35:00 AM
we charge 38 dollars for women, and 35 for men...this includes wash, cut, and blow dry/style
if the client wants it straightened, or curled with an iron, its extra.....thats it, if they leave wet, theres no decrease in price. period....i have never had a complaint about that, my clients know theyre paying for the cut, and the blow out is a bonus, included in the price....also comes with our chemical services too....

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, August 31, 2001 9:42:00 PM
We always finish the hair we have one set price. When you finish the hair that is where retail sales come in. They won't mind paying extra for it really they won't. You just have to do it. It;s more then a hair cut it needs to go beyond that. Raise the standard you can do it

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 2:47:00 PM
I love the idea of charging for time, in a respect it makes beautiful sense! But as a professional with very high standards and high expectations of myself, I cannot rest if I do not see the finished product of what I have put my heart into. We all know that most clients are not as bright about their looks as we are, therefore, we cannot leave it up to them to choose a cheaper price over your expert advice on how to work with what you created. You owe it to your cut to give them a clue on how to make it look as stellar as it was intended! It is only half done when wet. This is obviously a client no one seriously wants. If you are offering the choice the sign should read:

HAIRCUTS
incomplete: 35.00
complete*: 50.00

*complete includes the rest of the layering and texturing your haircut would need to REALLY work, and the power to knowlegeably attempt to envision yourself as your dedicated beauty expert sees you.

STEPHEN
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2001 9:54:00 PM
Since we're going to charge for incomplete...let's say $10.00 instead. Certainly no point in giving a $35.00 hair shaping a bad name.. Some do charge that and their work is consistently extraordinary.

checkers

Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2001 10:51:00 PM
I agree with everyone who charges the same amount whether they have a finish blow or not. A totally finish cut is dependent on tweeking it when it is dried as a finished product. Don't cut your price for the ignorance of your client. You are the professional and knows what is best to complete your job...

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, November 02, 2001 6:39:00 AM
I charge a different price for each thing. If someone doesn't want to pay for the style. I give them the blow dryer move them over to the side and they blow it themselves. They have the understanding that I don't give hand outs. Most people will get the blow dry if you are a good stylist. Simply for the fact that they can't make it look good themselves. I find the most people that doesn't want the style is college students. They have to save that money for the next party.

Charles

Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2001 6:34:00 AM
Giving someone the blow dryer to finish their hair is very generous of you, however I have always related that to going to the dry cleaner and asking if I could use their presses to iron my clothes and they could just charge me for the cleaning!????

Posted: Sunday, November 04, 2001 8:38:00 PM
The salon I work in charges a flat fee of $45 for women's cuts. This includes the shampoo, cut, and blow dry. If the client does not want their hair dried, they still pay the same price. I almost always cut the hair more (texturizing, razoring, etc.) when the hair is dry. I had one client that was not wanting her hair blown dry, and I explained to her that it would help me to make sure her hair layed right with the cut.

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 1:47:00 PM
I'm a client and I just have to say this. I would be happy to pay the extra money and get out of there without having my hair "styled"!!! First off, I've told the last dozen stylists that I only blow dry my bangs and I do it to keep 'em straight - yet every time I walk out with weirdly wavey bangs and the rest of my hair dead straight. I don't really care to have it blow dried - its not exactly good for your hair (I can feel my head nearly getting yanked off my neck and can see the steam rising from my hair...ugh) and I can never acheive that look myself so I walk out of the salon with my hair styled in a way that it will never be again - until my next cut! So how does that help you tell if the cut is good?? I will never wear it that way again and the stylist *must* know that I can't do that kind of blow drying by myself.

I don't want to be rude, so I don't say anything and just let them have at it. Then I go home, wet it down and straighten my bangs.

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 7:15:00 PM
It helps tremendously for me to blow dry the hair. I can see weight, height, texture needs. This is very important when trying to give an excellent haircut. Whether or not the client is going to utilize it or appreciate it is beside the point. And I would bet that most clients want their haircut to be good and don't want to find things that look good wet but are out of place when the hair is dry. Everyone's hair is different and most people have slight variations from wet to dry. (some extreme ones too) The wet cut to me is like the basic design and the dry cutting is like the decorating and personalizing that finished look.

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 7:40:00 PM
By the way, this forum is for professional hairstylists, not for clients.

Hope

Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2001 10:58:00 PM
to the client answer - first thing if someone tells me they have been to 12 people and could not get what they want ,i know automaticaaly it has to be the person not the stylist. if no one out of 12 has not made you happy i think thats your answer.as well i have clients that recreate theyre style because i show them and give them the proper tools. p.s. most and i mean most people love to get there dried and styled.

sonofaanonymous

Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2001 12:46:00 AM
I have to agree with hope- the anonymous client isn't telling the stylist what she wants. Anonymous client you need to tell the stylist how you like to wear your hair becuz I know there are many stylists that think their way is the best way and don't listen to what clients want. I always ask my clients how they would like their hair styled regardless if it's what I think they should wear. I think it's most important that the client is happy and comfortable with their hair.

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2001 9:04:00 AM
This is the butting in client again:
Thank you sonofanonymous. I walk in and tell them that I only blow dry my bangs. What else should I say? I mention that I don't blow dry it so then I guess that they figure they can then do anything they want, since they need to dry it to make sure its OK (At least I understand that now). Also, I knew that it would sound like it is me (when I said a dozen stylists but that was an exaggeration). and maybe it is - I don't style my hair so what can I tell them? I don't style it- one because I don't have time and two because I don't want to damage it with the blow dryer when it doesn't achieve anything that I want (did that make sense?). In other words, I prefer it the way it looks air dried and I think its healthier that way. Also, I come from a very small town and for years they'd come at me with the curling iron and just foobar my bangs!! Is that my fault? I try to stop them but probably jumping out of the chair is not a good idea. They are just behind the times. Now I travel 30 miles to get it done and even though I've gone to the same guy twice (my most recent excursion) - this time he feathers my bangs. He didn't last time, I can't figure out what made him do it this time. Anyway, sorry to butt in on your discussion but I guess my point was that some people don't style their hair at all, so if the stylist wants/needs to do it, at least I know why now. BTW- my husband was one of those who would just grab a comb and recomb it before the guy could style it - for the same reason I don't want it styled. However, to me that behavior is appalling and I would never do it, but the point is, he's not doing it do save money, he's doing it because he can't get it styled the way he likes.

I'll butt out now....

Oh and I'll add that I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof at the salon. Don't know why - I just don't like it. I have two kids, work full time and time is just so important to me. Another reason why I'm not thrilled to have it styled. I guess I'd be happy to pay full price (which seems to be $35 at this new salon) but walk out with it wet.

livvey
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2001 1:31:00 PM
To Anonymous Client,
I hate to break it to you, but you are extremely disrespectful to the intention of this site. Would you go to the AMA website and tell a doctor how to do his job? Obviously, you are not communicating things properly to your hairstylist. If your behavior here is any indication, I'm not surprised that you are never happy. I'm sorry that time is at such a premium for you. Guess what, that's life -- it is for everybody.

lyricax
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2001 9:18:00 PM
Amen to that!

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2001 11:29:00 PM
Sounds like anonymous clients, need to be going to super cuts or similiar salon, you know a "fast food" type of salon...they get you in and out in record time, and no blow drying. Hint to client....just remember...you get what you pay for.

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, December 07, 2001 9:57:00 PM
Well, my thought on this discussion is that the client is right. She does not "blow-dry" her hair, the haircutters are not listening to her so the first part of the service, communication, is not being achieved and therefore in order for her to get a perfect haircut the haircutter has to understand what she wants! Anyway, blow drying is sooo 90's.

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2001 4:48:00 PM
Actually the first priority is to make sure the cut is precise. This is up to the professional. And it is part of their job. The professional should be able to do whatever is necessary to give an excellent cut. Most salons charge extra for the finish so a client can opt not to have it dried but they may miss out on the crucial touches that would most likely have occured. Our salon charges extra only for a curling iron or rollers (not the blowdry). The price doesn't change if they don't want the shampoo or the dry. So technically they are getting ripped off because they don't get all that they are paying for. But that's their problem.

LB

Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2001 10:17:00 AM
Can you explain the sentence "blow drying is soooooooo 90's" What the heck does that mean? Do you really believe that or were you trying to be funny? Do you really think that celebrities walk into a model shoot with wet hair, or worse frizzy air dried hair? My guess is that the anonymous post 12/7 at 9:57 is the client again based on the ignorance and the repeated use of the term "haircutter".( No one in their right mind refers to themselves as a haircutter)

12/7-9:45

Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2001 10:51:00 PM
Well, in the spring-summer fashion shows in Europe I didnt see much "blow-dried" hair. Believie it or not most models were "roller-set" or textured and it looked so fresh and new, again! How many blow-drys can you do before you get bored. And yes a "haircutter" cuts hair since the post specified haircutting and I believe not everybody looks good in straight hair. We dont all want to look the same,do we?

Anonymous

Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2001 11:00:00 PM
How about the resurgence of the Afro and all that woderfull curly and textured hair? I think its great that we are seing more diversity in hair texture.

LB

Posted: Monday, December 10, 2001 8:16:00 PM
I love curl and texture and the sfro makes me smile, although it could have stayed in the 70's as far as Im concerned. Although I do like the REALLY tight curls that are on TV a lot now (like Original Cindy on Dark Angel).

BCFH

Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2001 9:35:00 AM
This is anon client. Yes - I'd love to go to the AMA site and tell the doctor's how better to serve their clients. I thought you people provided a service? Don't you want to know how your clients feel? Its says this is a public forum, BTW.

All I was trying to say is that I don't have the time and don't want my hair blow dried and yet I don't mind paying for it and will even tolerate it if it makes my hairdresser happy. I think that people that do otherwise are rude. But I was pointing out that not everyone wants their hair styled and its not *my* lack of communication that it keeps happening to me since only one of you has admitted that maybe, just maybe, it makes no sense to do so, in my case. None of you are listening to me. I don't think I'm the one with poor communication skills.

However, just because I don't want to spend my day in the chair does not mean I want to go to Supercuts. Clearly I am willing to pay for a good haircut (and even suffer through a blow dry) so those statements were uncalled for. As long as you keep hiding behind the chair you'll never know what your clients want.

That comment about blow drying being 90s was interesting...I remember when the stylist would tell you how to air dry and "scrunch" your hair. That was cool...except for the •••• curling iron on my bangs!

I have found out, since starting to color my own hair(which I do because I enjoy it, BTW) that the stylists really have things closed up. Try getting decent haircolor if you're not licensed! Sheesh. I'm a computer professional, and I have to listen to and fix all of the computers of people who think they should be able to "program" their own computers (for techs view of that, go to www.theregister.co.uk and read BOFH) yet I don't think that people shouldn't be allowed to buy any and all software and hardware that they want. What are stylists so afraid of? And don't say that its because you don't want people screwing up their own hair because you can do a lot more damage from the powder crap lighteners than you can with Modulat. Same goes for highlighting - Blazing is nearly foolproof but hard for the non-licensed to get. (not impossible - I have it) Why is that?? I'm beginning to think we should take away all of your computers - you might hurt yourselves,afterall.....

hairbot

Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2001 5:05:00 PM
It's rediculous to compare the personal computer and chemicals that are on or near the skin, eyes, etc. Granted there are some color that would be considered fool proof for the right client, but all color can be dangerous and damaging if used in the wrong way. We have 1500 hours under our belt along with countless years of experience and have had lots of training to understand the chemistry of haircolor along with how to heep it safe. ITs like comparing prescription and over the counter medicine. You would think some prescription medicine is fool proof, but there is bound to be that moron that overdoses on it. How many people take some pills and then read the instructions? IT is prescribed because it needs to be taken in a certain way. Like wise color has to be applied precisely and it can lead to blisters, open sores, fried hair, discolored ends, fading in spots, etc. Blazing IS a very easy to use haircolor, but its not for everybody and every hair type and is substanially stronger than what most common people know how to use. I have tons of clients who have tried to color their hair at home, got scared because of the oxidation of the color and took it off half way through, and screwed up their color. Some people ( not necessarily you) refuse to read and follow directions, and end up with burns, blisters, etc. The largest market for us to get into is color correction, because (whether or not you have found that perfect color to use on your hair,) a lot of people screw up their hair after a trip to the supply house, assuming that if they use the same brand as their colorist, it will have the same result. Personal computers can not be damgerous, besides security probelms, where are chemicals can be.
BTW- In reference to the 90's thing, I think some styles can look great airdried, BUT, I think blow drying is better for some/most and is not 90's in ANY way.
BTW2- I tend to agree with your comment about blow drying your hair in the salon. Some styles should be dried to see the way it falls, but I feel that if the client is aware of this and declines, its no smacks to me.
BTW3- Public forum or not, this is for cosmetologists and not for clients and it appears you are not wanted by some of the others, so why do you want to be here? I really don't mean that to be rude, but really, cosmetologists need a place that they can freely talk about customers and problems, etc without the evesdropping of clients. This is the only place we can let our guard down and not be the "top professionals" we all strive to be, so please allow us to have that space that we need. It is very intrusive of you to persist in being here. You have worn out your welcome.

chris the limey
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2001 6:43:00 PM
To the client...did you know that you can die using dye? I don't know many computers that can kill you!

livvey
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2001 10:20:00 PM
To the client who keeps butting in where she shouldn't...

"This is anon client. Yes - I'd love to go to the AMA site and tell the doctor's how better to serve their clients."

Once again, I have come to the conclusion that you are an unhappy person looking to troll in a forum and take your aggression out on people behind the cloak of being anonymous.

"None of you are listening to me. I don't think I'm the one with poor communication skills."

You go through stylists like some people go through socks. You don't seem to listen to anyone, so obviously you do have poor communication skills. In addition, we don't want you here. Comprende?

"I'm beginning to think we should take away all of your computers - you might hurt yourselves,afterall....."

Honey, I have a B.S. in Economics and am currently working on Masters in Economics with an emphasis on econometrics and labor economics
(along with my cosmetology license). Trust me, you don't want to match wits with me. You're obviously not that bright.

To the people of the other forums I frequent (and you know who you are!), you know that I never say cross words. This woman has gotten on my last nerve at this point.

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, December 14, 2001 8:21:00 AM
WHEEEEE!

Well, I have to agree with Hairbot, Chris and Livvey...I didn't get in on this before (amazing, huh?). Probably because I really didn't get offended by anon's posts until her last one. I have clients, who, for whatever reason, do not want their hair dried, so fine, they leave wet. I don't care, I don't argue with them. I had one last night. But anon's last post as BCFH was just plain silly in places.

Yes, and I must take special offense at her insinuating that we are stupid. To add my own "Honey...": I have a B.F.A. from a 4-year college in Commercial Art, I took classes for 3 years (and made nothing but A's and B's, thank you) in classes such as Biology, Chemistry, and College Math etc., when I was thinking about becoming an Occupational Therapist in the mid-90's, before I decided to become a stylist. I worked concession at several movie theaters from 16-18, waitressed all through college, temped as a secretary/receptionist, worked as a personal trainer for 5 years, and was employed in the printing and advertising industry as a sign painter/typesetter/graphic artist/pre-press technician/plate burner/negative stripper/darkroom technician/computer artist/editor/copy writer/proofreader before this. I have also freelanced out of my home, painting signs/typsetting/graphic design. I have worked with the public a LOT.

You just have an axe to grind and the only reason you're here is to pick a fight. We have to put up with know-it-all nitpickers every day; we come here to GET AWAY from them!

I must say it is a "red flag" for ME when a client comes in and says she's been everywhere and can't find a good stylist.

To the client: This forum is in the public domain but the name of it is "Behind the Chair" for a reason...because it's for LICENSED PROFESSIONALS! SOooo, why don't you pay for and go to hair school yourself so you can see what's it's REALLY like for us to deal with people like you every day?

Mary C

Posted: Friday, December 14, 2001 8:55:00 AM
I can't understand why 'client' is venting on this board. First of all, if you don't want your hair blow dried, tell your stylist, don't spout off about it here. What is wrong with your mouth? Does it not work when you are sitting in the chair? Seems to work here! I suggest that you leave this site. This is not the place for your opinions. Tell your stylist, face to face, what you want. This forum is a place for professional stylists, not for 'clients' to vent.

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, December 14, 2001 6:24:00 PM
Hey, "Mary C", send me a personal e-mail, if you don't mind! I like your mouth!

Donn
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, December 31, 2001 12:55:00 PM
The point is we are professionals and you should not be able to get our products. No we do not have it locked up.. And yes we are worried about the public screwing up their hair. We have the knowledge that you the general public will never have, so there for we should be the ones with the product not you. Because you want to go the AMA site and tell the doctors what to do, do you also go to pharmacutical sites and tell them that you are capable of administering your own drugs and should have free access to any that you want. Come on..... Find a good hairdresser and lighten up a bit. Just curious how you came about this site?

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 6:32:00 AM
This site shows up in internet searches and there are no restictions on who can post here, so clients and spammers can easily get in.

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 10:18:00 AM
Sheesh, I don't know what made me come back here (well I was looking for some *useful* information), but since some questions were asked, I will answer. Mary C - I did not mean to "spout off". This started because someone felt that clients that didn't want their hair "styled" were "taking advantage" and I just thought I'd give the clients view that some of us are happy to pay for the styling (we're not trying to take advantage) and that we might have reasons for really not wanting one.

As for the questions about being able to determine what medications I need without a doctor's or pharmacist's input, the answer is that I absolutely would like to see everything OTC. Before people start screaming, this does not mean that you *can't* ask a doctor what you should take, it means that you wouldn't have to. But this will never happen because the doctor's would lose too much business. It has nothing to do with people harming themselves,etc, its all about doctors and money.

And to Donn - why would you have knowledge the general public never would? Why can't we get the literature and materials that you have access to?

Personally I don't think the gov't has the right to tell us what we can put in or on our bodies. What next? Telling people with high cholesterol its illegal for them to eat eggs? Come on, if people want to screw up or with their hair, they should have access to everything. If what all of you are claiming is true, wouldn't that mean more hair corrections for you?

And hairbot, are you telling me that the crap they sell at Sally's is safer than, say, Aveda, Schwartkof, etc??? I seriously doubt that. Your answer does not explain why you can get Clairol Complements or L'Oreal Feria at Sally's but can't get Goldwell, etc. I suspect its the same reason that you can buy Tylenol OTC (which, by the way, can kill you fairly easily and causes many deaths per year) but can't get, say, Celebrex.

Cold Hard Cash.

Donn
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 1:31:00 PM
To answer your question, we have dedicated many hours and years , not to mention money in our pursuit to have the most knowledge in our profession. Which is something the general public does not. And I guess you can get the info if you would like to spend lets say $10,000 to got to school and hundreds of dollars each year for continued education, so go for it. Then maybe you could come in here and have some respect for stylists, or for that fact anyone who takes the time to go to school to learn a trade. I would bet it is safe to assume that you think that you know better than anyone else, and I hate to say it , it is those who think that way, that do the most damage to themselves and others. If we all new better than the next person there would be no need for professionals in any field. I feel like you think stylists are a bunch of dropouts that couldn't do anything else and that it is so easy, we try to hide that fact so that our customers , won't know we are screwing them out of money. Which is the farthest from the truth. Maybe you should go to school cosmetology school, I highly doubt you would make it through. I am sorry if I am being bitchy, but I do not care for someone with no basis or knowledge of what they are talking about to talk, and before you say you are filled with knowledge,NOT IN THIS FEILD YOU ARE NOT!!!! So I think it is time for you to move on and show your disrespect for some other proffesion.

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 2:25:00 PM
This person is a coward who doesn't even list his/her/its e-mail address, and hides behind the "anon" option, which is okay when it's for a benign reason but this person is a COWARD. All bark and no bite. TROLL.

lyricax
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 3:42:00 PM
LOL!

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2002 8:46:00 AM
Yes, Lyricax has the best response, I think...what more can you say to this person?

hairbot

Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2002 7:19:00 PM
I just saw my brain because I was rolling my eyes at her moronic statements. What a bully...No wait... an ignorant bully! Please anon... just go away and don't let the door hit your ••• on the way out! Go pick a fight somewhere else.

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2002 9:10:00 PM
Hey, Hairbot, how do you get the little red squares instead of cusswords here? Really? Silly question, but hey nicer than what this *ahem* client's been asking?

janicham

Posted: Friday, January 04, 2002 6:33:00 PM
Well, I'm new here, but I just haaaave to comment on the anon.

First, as a professional, I do care about what my clients want. If I feel that I need to blow dry after a cut (which 99% of the time do) then my clients come to me and know they are getting my knowledge and training, to give them the best possible cut. If you were my client and wanted me to wet your hair down after I completed the cut, I wouldn't have a problem with that, but understand that because you are not a professional, and have no knowledge of the cutting techniques, you may have not seen a reason for it. Now you know.

As far as color goes, it's people who do over the counter color, that have turned out to be some of my best clients. They have such bad disasters, they have to go to a professional to fix it. And good for the stylists, big money maker. And when they have to pay a high price tag to get it fixed, they are usually reluctant to try it again.
Without adequate training and knowledge in chemicals, it wouldn't matter if the public tried to use professional colors or not, more times than not, you would see the same hair disasters.

Why not give the training or information to the public? They do, it's called Beauty College. :)

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2002 9:45:00 PM
I have a solution to the problem!! Just tell those clients that your not gonna put up with their bullshit and to quit bitching!! Thats professional.

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2002 9:54:00 PM
HAH! That's good.

I think I have to say my favorite so far was the one about "I just saw my brain..."

Yes, here I am once again for the 100th time today, on this and other forums...that's because I'm home sick with a cold, even if I weren't I'm snowed in so can't work, so nothing better to do except play on the computer, huh? LOVE the internet!

iburprincezz2

Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2002 9:11:00 AM
To the "Client" you act like it's a privalage or something to blowdry your hair! Quit complaining about your hair and shutup. The reason why the public doesnt have access to good haircolor is because they dont know what theyr'e doing. I couldn't tell you how many clients hair I had to TRY to fix because they messed up there own haircolor at home using the wrong color,as for your computer whatever,nobody even asked for your opinion so quit coming in here acting like your better than all of us!

hairbot

Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2002 10:30:00 AM
Billie, I didn't do anything to make the red squares. When I type a bad word, it automatically corrects it. I thought it was cute too when I first noticed it, but I have no idea how mine does it, if someone else's doesn't.

Mary C

Posted: Monday, January 07, 2002 8:28:00 AM
hairbot, sounds like you have a program installed in your computer that's set up to insert red squares for certain words. :)

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Monday, January 07, 2002 8:30:00 AM
My husband the computer geek says it has been set it up to automatically do that to specified words...makes me want to type certain things in response to this know-it-all client and see what turns into red squares, but I'll restrain myself.

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Monday, January 07, 2002 10:33:00 AM
Never mind...it comes up in "preview post", so I can see what words are verboten. Curiousity satisfied. That was fun though!

haibot

Posted: Monday, January 07, 2002 6:20:00 PM
Well, here's all the bad words I know, and these are the ones that print...
••••
•••
bitch
••••
•••••
••••
hell
••••
piss

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, January 07, 2002 9:26:00 PM
Actually, if you type your word with the first letter repeated at the front E.g. cat as ccat it doesn't cover them up. Maybe it feels sorry for people with stammers!

"f f f ff ff f.....fog it! ;o)"

chris the limey
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, January 07, 2002 9:29:00 PM
That was me, sorry, don't know why this sshit computer takes the ppiss all the ff**cking time!

I couldn't let that last word go through guys! Anyone brave enough?

Billie, you there?

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Monday, January 07, 2002 9:46:00 PM
No, it's not a matter of bravery with me, I just don't feel right doing that except to play around in the preview mode! It also lets words through if you add a "ing" to it, for instance, and there are some really nasty slang words I know that it let through. But let's not and say we did...

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Monday, January 07, 2002 10:20:00 PM
LOL! Hairbot, I just now saw your post!

Alright, let's play in the sandbox then! Last time I did this my mother took me inside (I WAS in the sandbox in the backyard with a friend, this was last week, HA!) and stuck a bar of Ivory soap in my mouth for 20 minutes THEN proceeded to lather it up. Dang, hairbot are those all the bad words you know? I have an extremely extensive vocabulary, to the point that there are many nasty words I know that WILL go through, I've seen them in preview mode here! I can't do it though! However...and I had to DELETE at least 10 more really colorful ones that I just couldn't bring myself to let go through...HAHA I have no life!!! None of these are repeats, I swear! I have listened to too much George Carlin!

••••
••••
•••••
••••••••••
••••
••••
•••
crap
poo-poo
doo-doo
pee-pee
ca-ca

Guess I can't talk about the fact that I have 4 •••••...cats at home!

OHMIGOD we are asking for it now!!!

chris the limey
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, January 07, 2002 11:29:00 PM
Billie, I'll say it before a hairdresser named anonymous does, "We are like children, this is a professional place etc blah blah."
You guys, we know and we're not trying to be rude, or distract, but I guess it's fun to let go and be childish sometimes. We'll be back to normal after this...promise!
Sooooo....that sorted, here are some sentences that could get through!

No, I'm sorry. I was writing it out, and even with asteriks it still looks foul! You know what they say guys, poor vocabulary and all! Think I'll just stick to my red squares. (Did you know that is an alcholic drink made with vodka over here?)

And Billie, were you brought up in a convent my love? Naughty words like "ca-ca" and "pee-pee". Bless your innocence my child! Bless it!

:o)

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Monday, January 07, 2002 11:35:00 PM
Convent? Hardly! I'm just a little...uh, lot, older than you..words like "pee-pee" were a big deal when I was a little girl! I was just testing the screening system here.

Well, that was more fun than listening to more drivel from the know-it-all so-called client who I know none of us would want in our chairs, anyway...

sparklehair
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 11:16:00 AM
To anon client, you have given me the biggest belly laugh i have had in a long time!! thats the good news for today.AND the last word and tell you once and for ffrikkin all why we blow dry hair!!, sure its for all the reasons above but the bottom line is, its to make as much money as possible which believe me is not enough for putting up with your type of ccrap and insults.

chris the limey
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 12:06:00 PM
Hellloooooo Sparklehair. Glad to see you got your sparkle back!!! :o)

hairbot

Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 5:05:00 PM
Billie, did you remember to add words like wee-wee, too-too, weiner and stupid? I agree with Chris...Bless you innocent mind....

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 5:59:00 PM
I just stuck those in because I thought they were funny and I knew they'd go through!!! :)

"INNOCENT MIND?" you should see the ones it WOULD let through that I know, that I just couldn't post here for fear or being banned forever by Mary!

Goshdarnit, I forgot "wee-wee"...!

sparklehair
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 8:47:00 PM
well Billie it made me laugh all day so it just shows what toilet humour does, takes us all back to being 5 years old, nothing wrong with that!!
Hi chris! read my dirty joke on your website yet?
I luv you all! Hey Chris,I didn't know you were a Geordie! me mam is a Geordie too.(now you have to explain to all America what a Geordie is) Ye SHALL HAVE A FISHY ON A LITTLE DISHY, WHEN THE BOAT COMES IN !!!(in joke)c come on bonny lad , spill the beans, sparks

chris the limey
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 2002 9:38:00 PM
Yes, sparkle it's cool!

"Here's thy mother humming,
Like a canny woman;
Yonder comes thy father,
Drunk - he cannot stand.

Dance ti' thy daddy, sing ti' thy mammy,
Dance ti' thy daddy, ti' thy mammy sing;
Thou shall hev a fishy on a little dishy,
Thou shall hev a haddock when the boat comes in."

That's right. Wey Aye pet, I'm a geordie bairn like! Ham and pease pudding, scran I knaw yeel like if ya mutha was a canny geordie hinney!

For anyone who does not understand the poem or sentence above, it is written in a lnaguage called "Geordie". A geordie is a person who comes from the north east of England, particularly Newcastle and Gateshead. We have our own language of words, bastardised from the English, Scottish and Norwegian languages (Why Norway? The Vikings invaded England through our part of the country)

I now live in Liverpool, where people are called "Scousers" and their language is Scouse. Although they don't have many of their own words though.

Sparklehair, I forgot to tell you that i tried the tenfoil technique before christmas and it was great! It was when you called me a wuss, that i just had to go for it although i must admit that i was wary.
I said to mandy in the back, "If this colour goes arse up, I'm telling you that Sparklehair won't be sparkling much longer!"
But it did work, you were right. So i'm leaving it up on my site for everyone else to benfit from!

Thanks again duck
:o)

sparklehair
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2002 7:35:00 AM
Thats great Chris, you are now 'wussless' I had forgotten all the song, it brings back loads of memories. i TRIED TO WRITE 'WEY AI' and gave up!
When I was little and visited my relatives (Consett and Darlington) I was very upset cos they would say 'away now'and i thought they wanted me to go away! what they meant was 'come here'too funny.I have noticed that in Wisconsin where i livethe accent has definate geordie twang, this is a place where there are alot of Norwegian settlers,so them there Vikings do get around eh?

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2002 7:47:00 AM
Ding-a-ling
Weiner

chris the limey
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2002 10:38:00 PM
Billie, are you still at it?

Here's one,
Bollocks!

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, January 11, 2002 7:32:00 AM
Shagging Wanker!

I know that "shagging" in England is a NASTY word, my English buddy Sue told me...over here it's a type of dance...

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2002 6:19:00 AM
Gee, Chris, I feel like such a mug; I can be such a silly git sometimes!

chris the limey
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2002 4:24:00 PM
I'm laughing now. It's 20 past 10 and i'm a wee bit tipsy after a long week at work. My manageress and I have just come out of the pub! Well done Billie! You been doing your research? :o)

Hope

Posted: Saturday, January 12, 2002 9:57:00 PM
to the anon client ,refering to hair color ,i can pick drug store color a mile away.it is never even or even a attractive color.i am a framesi certified color tech and when you can tell me what remaining pigment at each level of lift is,
and what is the proper developer when depositing,and what percentage of grey means,and what the chemical breakdown is ,and why when people use sun in there hair turns orange,and when a decoloration and toning are required ,and i could go on for hours .stumped i thought so.i have a child and work 38 hours in the salon and i also teach color . im busy to....... go to a software website where you mite know what your talking about,not here

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2002 6:48:00 AM
That anon client is a sodding git!

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Sunday, January 13, 2002 7:24:00 AM
Actually, she's more of a berk!

OOOOh, Chris, if I could just see your face!

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, January 18, 2002 8:14:00 AM
She's just full of ••••, I mean, MERDE!

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, January 18, 2002 1:05:00 PM
To Hope:
> to the anon client ,refering to hair color ,i can >pick drug store color a mile away.it is never even >or even a attractive color.

I don't use drug store color and I know what you mean. I don't use color that Sally sells, either.

>i am a framesi certified color tech and when you >can tell me what remaining pigment at each level >of lift is,

um, like:
deep blue/red;deep red/blue;deep red;red;red orange;
orange;yellow/orange;yellow;pale yellow

>and what is the proper developer when depositing,

10 vol

>and what percentage of grey means

Always thought it was the amount gray hair to the amount of hair

>,and what the chemical breakdown is ,

of what?

>and why when people use sun in there hair turns >orange,

Wouldn't that only happen to someone with hair level 6 or so and darker? Its because the underlying pigments are revealed.

>and when a decoloration and toning are required ,

Two step or double process color. Usually used to go blond so that there is not too much warmth in the end result (take the hair to a pale yellow then tone or "color")

>and i could go on for hours .

Me, too. But you didn't finish your sentence. When I can answer all of these, then what?? It means I can read and comprehend??

>stumped i thought so.

I think I'm pretty close actually. But what difference does it make? I have no intention of becoming a hair dresser and all of this is stuff that can be looked up (and to be honest, the only thing I looked up was the pigment levels.)

>i have a child and work 38 hours in the salon and >i also teach color . im busy to....... go to a >software website where you mite know what your >talking about,not here

Whatever. I've never seen such a bunch of mean spirited, snobby people in my life. Is there that much competition in hairdressing that you become so petty and secretive?

Oh and I enjoyed your analysis of the little red boxes but don't you think you should leave that stuff up to the programmers? Speaking of which, Billie, is your husband a computer professional (4 years of school for tens of thousands of dollars - that seems to be the terms that you guys like to use - years of schooling and the cost, right?) so he has a computer degree? If not, then, sorry, he is not a "geek" but just one of those annoying people (aka "lusers") who think they know something about computers. You know the kind, they screw them up and then the professionals have to fix 'em! Or is he an engineer that thinks he's a programmer (those are the worst)?? Or maybe you lucked out and he really is a computer geek.....

So, how did I do, Hope? Its my understanding that many of these questions are debatable and I have learned that no two colorists do things the same way, for the most part. I guess that's where experience counts for more than education.

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, January 18, 2002 7:06:00 PM
Um, yes, I lucked out and he really IS a computer geek. He has a degree in programming and that's what he does for his main job. And he helped me think up words for this little exercise. He's a musician on the side in a rock band. I am sure he knows more dirty words than I do.

And I think I'm done with this catfight. "You can take a horse to water but you can't make him drink!"

I enjoyed the "red squares" exercise, we can do more of THAT if anyone wants!

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, January 18, 2002 7:09:00 PM
I'm sorry to tell you but looking up some surface knowledge hardly impresses me. I have surface knowledge of many professions. Doesn't entitle me to purchase professional products of the trade at their prices. Do you think anyone who provides a service buys their supplies at retail? Do they give them to you at cost so you can install, repair, create things for yourself? Do they all use the same level of quality that you can buy at retail prices? Do you know that there is an entire selection of products you can only buy from a dealer, designer or professional? If you want a discount then, go get your license.

Anonymous

Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2002 1:21:00 AM
>I'm sorry to tell you but looking up some >surface knowledge hardly impresses me.

Me, neither, but I was asked.

>I have surface knowledge of many professions. >Doesn't entitle me to purchase professional >products of the trade at their prices. Do you >think anyone who provides a service buys their >supplies at retail? Do they give them to you at >cost so you can install, repair, create things >for yourself? Do they all use the same level of >quality that you can buy at retail prices?

My earlier point was that in computers, everyone can pretty much get the same stuff at the same price. Sure, quantity will get you a discount but if you're a small time consultant, the public has access to the same stuff that you do. I just wondered why the hair industry wasn't the same...

>Do you know that there is an entire selection of >products you can only buy from a dealer, >designer or professional?

yes, I certainly do.

>If you want a discount then, go get your license.

How sweet, how typical, how defensive. Why? I don't mind if you by the same hardware and software that I can get so why can't I get the same hair stuff you can get (and I hope no one tries that "its dangerous stuff" arguement again because clearly the crap I can get is no safer...). I guess if I wanted to be petty I could say this entire discussion illustrates why non-professional computer people shouldn't have access to computers and especially to internet connections.

And good for you, Billie, I've done my time in a couple of rock bands, too. We might even have been friends if it weren't for this whole stupid conversation.

Gioia

Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2002 12:42:00 PM
Actually you can get the same hairstuff that we can get. You just have to buy it at retail prices. And certain brand chemicals can be purchased with a service. Why don't you talk to the manufacturers and ask them why they choose to sell exclusively to the professional? And while your at it you can call some manufacturers of finer quality items and ask them why they don't sell direct to the K-Mart shopper. Or certain chemical companies ask them why industrial strength products are sold to certified professionals. Perhaps the real reason is somewhere between these companies truly don't want anyone to accidentally hurt themselves with their product and they don't want uneducated dolts going aroing around claiming that the product and not their inept use of it caused damage and/or ugliness to their hair. Could it possibly be somewhere between the safety of the consumer and the image of the brand? My guess is it probably is. Sometimes life is just unfair.

m.k.

Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2002 6:33:00 PM
To the client who uses modulat. Did you know it is sulpher based and if you use this product on someone who is allergic to sulpha drugs it can may cause a life threatening reaction? I'll bet the black marketer who sold you that didn't inform you of that! If you are applying color to your own head how are you taking 1/4 inch partings in the back of your haed and doing just the roots? That must be why you had to use modulat to remove old haircolor. How can that be healthier than a stylist blowdrying your hair. We provide a service. You do have access to our literature it's called cosmetology school!

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, January 21, 2002 12:47:00 PM
>Actually you can get the same hairstuff that we >can get. You just have to buy it at retail >prices. And certain brand chemicals can be >purchased with a service. Why don't you talk to >the manufacturers and ask them why they choose >to sell exclusively to the professional?

From what I can tell, it is prohibited by law. I assume that means that the stylists have a strong lobbying group. Tell me where I can buy Swartkopf, Dickson, L'Oreal Majorel etc. without a license, I'd love to know.

> And while your at it you can call some >manufacturers of finer quality items and ask >them why they don't sell direct to the K-Mart >shopper. Or certain chemical companies ask them >why industrial strength products are sold to >certified professionals.

From my experience, the stuff sold to "Kmart shoppers" (I don't shop at Kmart) is stronger than the stuff sold to professionals in many cases.

> Perhaps the real reason is somewhere between >these companies truly don't want anyone to >accidentally hurt themselves with their product >and they don't want uneducated dolts going >aroing around claiming that the product and not >their inept use of it caused damage and/or >ugliness to their hair.

How naive. Why do you think that more drugs are not sold OTC? Not to protect us from ourselves (though obviously there are many out there that need protecting) but because the doctors and pharmacists don't want it that way. Pick up a book and read about the Harrison act. Besides, this way they can sell $4 ahampoo for $15 and the salons get a big,fat markup.

And as usual, you seem to think that 1000 hours of study makes you so much more "educated" than the rest of the "dolts" out there. What a snob, and how ignorant you are.

> Could it possibly be somewhere between the >safety of the consumer and the image of the >brand? My guess is it probably is. Sometimes >life is just unfair

If they could sell more OTC, they'd do it. Its all about money. Don't be so naive (agaain). If a 10th grader with 1000 hours of education can handle these chemicals then most people who can read and comprehend can too. That's why the books are not easily available. The stylists are afraid that the general public will find out that its all smoke and mirrors.

Do your clients know you think of them as "dolts" and "kmart shoppers"? How sweet. You seem to be quite bitter, maybe you shouldn't be in a service field.

Oh, if the person that was talking about Modulat was referring to me, I don't use Modulat, I use Jheri Redding One 'n' Only Colorfix, which has the same ingredients as Modulat (if you doubt it, look it up, as I did) and is sold at Sally (its about the only chemical I buy there, before someone makes some snobby remark about Sally). If what you say is true, that's good to know. But even so, I only use it on myself. Don't worry how I do 1/4" partings, I do and it looks fine. I used the Colorfix because the color I was using was darker than I wanted, although I have no idea why you are so concerned.

mk

Posted: Monday, January 21, 2002 2:05:00 PM
Modulat was mentioned in your earlier posting. In this state you have to take 1500 hours of school and pass the state board test. A high school diploma is required. Some states is 2000 hours. Most stylists get ongoing education to keep up with the latest trends. Nobody I know pays 4 dollars for shampoo and sells it fo 15 or 20 dollars. It seems like you are trying to find out what our markup is. After tax and shipping and possible cod charges its around 30% profit. But why are we not entitled to make a living? I buy my gloves,wax,cotton ect from Sally's. We only get 10% off the publics price there. Sallys does carry professional products. I choose to buy swarzkopf,Matrix and Redken. The company's that make those products have a warrenty for cosmetologists only. You are the real snob to assume that all hairstylists have a 10th grade education. Frankly we are very lucky that we don't have to fix your messed up dye job. There is always knock offs of products and if they were the exact same you would not be bitching about it here. We are getting advice from other professional hairdressers and you butted in to our site not yours. I told you about the modulat in case you were doing someones hair and they had a bad reaction to it. If the stuff is the same did Sally's tell you about the danger of people being allergic to Sulpha drugs not ot use it? I thought not......

Donn
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, January 21, 2002 2:40:00 PM
To Anon.. You are obviously way more intelligent than , any of us here.....But quite frankly I am so completely tired of your bitchy , condisending attitude. Get the Hell out and go bother someone else. You are not a hairdresser and will not get our info , no matter how much you bitch, unless you choose to go to school. Smoke and mirrors my A**, if that was so, we would have lost the need for stylists along time ago. I think that maybe you are just alittle pissy , maybe because we get to enjoy our jobs and make more money than you, while you are stuck in a thankless and boring occupation. I apologize for my behavior in the words I have written,but I can take no more from you. Thank gawd you do your own hair, no stylist should have to deal with a person, such as you. Move along little doggie.

ATTSpa

Posted: Monday, January 21, 2002 7:55:00 PM
To anonymous.

How funny your post is. You poor thing.
You know haircutting shears are sold over the counter. Still millions of people would rather pay to have their hair cut. How strange, when their wives, fathers and nieghbors could perform this service for them. Gee, I wonder why?

If professional haircolor is not strong enough for you and nothing special (smoke and mirrors, and all that) Then, why are you not satisfied with the brands that you can buy?

Since you are such an expert in all things that professional hairstylists are then you should have no problem getting the results you want with what you can buy. I'm not sure what you're griping about. Is it because you know that the grade and the quality is better and you think it should be open to buy? Well that's too bad. Anyone can choose to be a business to business operation for whatever their reasons. Since you are a consumer and not a business owner, dealer or professional you have to choose from what's available to you. Some companies choose not to be on the open market. Awww.

But since we don't know anything more than you do, I'm sure your results will be impressive. Shhh. don't tell our millions of clients that they can look just as beautiful if their husband did their hair. It's a big secret and if it gets out we'll all be out of business. How Scary.

BethJ

Posted: Monday, January 21, 2002 8:34:00 PM
Enough already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BethJ

Posted: Monday, January 21, 2002 8:37:00 PM
Sorry, I just thought that all the mud-slinging was going nowhere!

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 8:09:00 AM
ATTspa and Donn,
Thank you for putting into words what I could not.
Apparently the client is Jealous because she is not an Artist like us. She does not have the determination to go to school and pass the board. Or maybe she is mentally retarded and doesn't understand what we are saying.

Billie
Gold Member

Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 9:23:00 AM
"And good for you, Billie...We might even have been friends if it weren't for this whole stupid conversation."

Anyway, I'm only getting back into this because after I read the above part of one of your posts, I felt compelled to say something. To say that I don't think we could've been friends, if for no other reason than this quote from one of your earlier posts:

"As for the questions about being able to determine what medications I need without a doctor's or pharmacist's input, the answer is that I absolutely would like to see everything OTC. Before people start screaming, this does not mean that you *can't* ask a doctor what you should take, it means that you wouldn't have to. But this will never happen because the doctor's would lose too much business. It has nothing to do with people harming themselves,etc, its all about doctors and money."

My father was a radiologist and spent his whole life trying to help cancer patients. He was a sweet, loving, caring man who in the end could not keep his patients' pain from becoming a part of him. His depression over the patients he couldn't save was one of the forces that directly led to his suicide in 1987, a few months before he was supposed to retire. It ate him up. So your comments about doctors really offended me in addition of course to the comments against my chosen profession.

"We might even have been friends"? Don't think so.

kel

Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 11:45:00 AM
Just wait, some day soon, the craby client will screw up her hair, then be back here asking for help. It's just a matter of time and she will on her knees asking "I'm so sorry for all my comments, but please, any one, any one at all, help me I've done this and that and everything else to my hair and it's falling out" Like I said, just wait!

Lynn, BCH

Posted: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 9:28:00 PM
wow.
I've been away for a long time.
We can be just as defensive and protective about our profession as anyone else who takes pride in their profession. I don't think this particular client will be coming to any stylist/colorist to fix her hair (if she was to ever screw it up bad enough that she couldn't handle it on her own). I think she has pretty much figured out that there are some things she can do by herself. I will add, though, that it can be difficult/impossible to get quality results when trying to do your own haircolor...whether you're a professional hair-designer or not, and whether you're using quality products or not. I play around with my own hair quite often. My clients never know if I'll have the same color or haircut when they see me next. I really haven't used the lower quality (otc) products on my own hair, but I do have some clients that use it. And yes, some of them have nice color results.

One client comes in to have me apply her store-bought color. Good gray coverage and it lasts quite well, but it is a flat, solid color without shine. It has none of the variations of natural haircolor. It looks dull and drab, and makes me feel sad each time I apply that color she brought. It makes me feel sad, because I know the quality of the color I use on all of my other clients is much, much more shiny and healthy-looking, than what she prefers on her hair. She doesn't understand the benefits of professional quality products, and she doesn't want to understand. She closes her ears and eyes to the differences in the products... or what a professional can do to add interest to an otherwise boring haircolor.

I sometimes add hilights for someone who wants/needs a little "sparkle" to their haircolor...I add hilights where areas need length or width...I add lowlights where areas need slimming or lengthening effects. I enhance beautiful eyes or great cheekbones by my placement of color. I place a distracting color or application technique where someone has a flaw which needs to be diminished (such as a glass/crooked eye or large nose or short neck.

This client, which I mentioned, is firm in her belief that my haircolor product is just as good as hers, and even though we both know/suspect the differences... she is steadfast in her rightous belief that her product is just as good as mine. I hate doing her hair. I have no joy and enjoy no fun doing her hair. She doesn't respect me, my time, my other clients, or herself. She is so busy being at the "beck-and-call" of everyone around her (mostly family members)...that she expects everyone else (who she considers "underlings" to do the same). She shows up unexpectedly and expects me to always work her in. She also expects me to drop everything and everyone...just because she has entered the room. Even though she knows I am booked and am pressed for time, and she has showed up expecting me to easily work her in... she still expects to get in and out the door on "her" terms. She constantly looks at the time, and says how "busy" she is and how she has so much to do, etc., etc. I don't enjoy this client. I don't enjoy hearing about her trials and tribulations. She is not a person who likes or respects herself, therefore, she doesn't really like or respect anyone who she may even slightly consider "beneath" her.

I am no better than her...and no less than her. I am a person who just happens to enjoy my profession. I love to make someone smile, and help them feel better about themselves. I've spent many years trying to help people feel better about the way they look and feel (...if you feel like your hair looks like crud...you feel like crud)), and many hours taking classes and studying (to improve my knowledge... and therefore, to improve my ability to help someone feel better about the way they perceive themselves), and helped many people feel really good for having visited me. I have quite literally...performed miracles. I know how awful if feels to have an "ugly" haircolor (ie..the wrong color/bad haircut). I know how it permeates into how just that one small detail can make you feel about your self-worth and self-esteem.
I may not be able to help every person who sits in my chair feel like a million bucks...but I do try. I really try.

Do you fault me for being passionate about my profession...my chosen profession? I did "choose" to be in this profession. I could've been an artist, expressing my feelings/thoughts in oil-painting and drawings. I could've been an attorney...defending the rights of others. But I wanted to help people feel better about themselves in one way that helps me feel better about myself... if my hair looks good...I feel better about... me. I deal with a whole lot of insecurities and n

kel

Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 9:06:00 AM
Why are you putting on the color she brings in? I don't really see that as professional. We have the ability to use great products, and yet you let her walk all over you by using her crap!? Yes I have had clients ask me to do the same thing but I do tell them, I am not educated in K-mart colors, I prefer to use professional colors etc, because that's professional. We can't make the craby client always happy but we can try. Some people out there are just down on life , it's their job to go find help. In some ways, i think we should all have degrees in psycology just given to us, we sometimes do more then they do without getting payed for it. Hair/therapist (nice ring to it) :-)

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 11:33:00 AM
I couldn't find the Modulat info, but here is a comparison of Jheri Redding Colorfix and Rusk ID Elimin8:

Elimin8:

SHSA ,HYDROXYETHYL CELLULOSE,METHYLCHLOROISOTHIAZOLINONE, METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE

Conditioning Catalyst
CITRIC ACTIVE CATALYST ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL / DICETYL PHOSPHATE
CETEARYL ALCOHOL
CETETH PHOSPHATE
PENTASODIUM - PENTENATE

Redding:

Part 1 Color Reducer
Water (Aqua), Sodium Hydroxymethane, Sulfinic Acid, Hydroxyethyl Cellulose,
Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothizolinone.

Part 2 Conditioning Catalyst
Water (Aqua), Citric Acid, Cetearyl Alcohol/Dicetyl Phosphate/Ceteth Phosphate,
Cetearyl Alcohol, Fragrance, DMDM Hydantoin, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Pentasodium Pentetate.

It looks the same to me, for those who can figure out what SHSA is. You can find the Rusk ingredients on the Rusk web site and the Redding on Folica.com. Now I don't know if Rusk warns you about Sulpha allergies or if it works totally differently than Modulat, but I doubt both.

This is for ATTSpa, BTW, most of who's post made no sense to me. I can get the results because I do have access to decent stuff but its only because the woman who runs the local beauty supply (not Sally) is an educator and can sell good quality products (hey I don't claim to understand it, its just what she tells me). But I guess I don't get it - if you can get just as good results with Miss Clairol, why don't *you* use it?

My whole point was that there are few businesses where you must be licensed in order to get professional quality supplies (and I say this as an artist (which many of you seemed to think impossible - I even have a degree, believe it or not) and musician. Thank dog I can buy a Taylor Guitar without a license.)) and I just wonder why that is. Some of you said it was because the products were dangerous but that makes no sense since Sally sells products at least as dangerous. But now I'm just hearing some thing like "nya nya we can buy it and you can't" which is, I belive, the point. Also, I know lots of people who have their spouse cut their hair (and they look as good and sometimes better than those who go to "professionals").

So, ATTSpa, go look at your box of Modulat and I think you'll see I'm correct. As for the Sulpha allergy, there's nothing on the box, at Sally's on any website for either Rusk, Redding or Modulat so go figure. Now I'm not a professional, but I'd suggest you do a patch test before using the product on someone new.

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 12:39:00 PM
TO THE CLIENT:I use modulat and was told in the educational classes about the allergy to sulpha drugs. I didn't "look" for it on the back of the box. Walmart and several other places are trying to cut us out of a job. We honestly do work very hard physically and mentally to help our clients. I wake up at night and think of fresh new ideas to tell my clients about. We just want a little respect for what we do. It is harder than you think to work with the public and to mesh with different personalities. We do love our jobs. It all starts with communication. Please don't judge us until you walk in our shoes. We also counsel people when they are depressed or lost a loved one and share in births and weddings. It is very personal to us because we are all people and we truly care about our clients.

sls
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 6:53:00 PM
Lynn,BCH======>>> Lynn Lynn Lynn! I frequently visit Haircolorist.Com and ALWAYS enjoy reading your posts to puzzled colorists and consumers. I'm always impressed at the way you help others...your intelligence and kindness shows through in most, if not all of your postings. But I must say, I was really sort of shocked to see you would allow a client to railroad you into applying OTC haircoloring!!! Ya know, sometimes you just have to put your foot down and be the bad guy.
Just today, in my salon I had a beautiful young professional woman come in. She is a wonderful client, who has come to trust my judgement with her personal looks as well as purchase my salon products to take care of and pamper the services I provide for her. Today we decided her micro weaved "caramel hilights" which were grown out about four inches would not be repeated...and that a totally new color and cut would replace it. Sooooo after cutting her hair I weaved and sliced much heavier sections, lifted them to the red gold stage and then applied a wonderful rich level 6 red reflect demi color. While her color was processing another customer of mine came for her haircut appointment. This particular client colors her hair at home....lol she happens to know a little (may I stress "a little") about haircoloring application. LOL, she has her husband carefully apply it to the regrowth with a toothbrush and then adds warm water to the remaining color after the normal processing time and runs the mixture through her midlenths and ends for five to seven minutes. Her color isn't too bad I must say and its in better condition than 90% of the home jobs out there. However, as you mentioned in your previous post...the color is flat, lifeless and without variance or shine. Anyhow, I had cut this customers hair while my assistant shampooed and reconditioned the color client. I excused myself after the cut, to finish the first customer....while I was blow drying the young woman's hair (away from the mirror, I'm such a sucker for the fun of surprise), the OTC gal was transfixed watching the outcome. I turned my client towards the mirror. She was elated, and you could see it...she beamed as she ran her fingers through the shiny beautiful new look I had given her. After thanking me three or four times she walked right up to me and kissed and hugged me! LOL...and I was expecting maybe a kiss on the cheek but noooo it was right on the lips...haha! Between the two of us....we BOTH made each other's day!!!! And to me that is what great customers and a great career are all about!
So then I go on to finish the OTC color client...as I'm blowdrying her hair...she comments on how gorgeous the previous color was and then starts COMPLAINING to me about her haircolor and why didn't it ever look that good! She then tells (no,actually she demanded)me to recommend a store color that would give her as much shine and dimension as the client before her because she refuses to pay for salon color. I politely but firmly told her I was not familiar with OTC coloring products and possibly she should take her colorist (her husband) to the Wal Mart with her the next time to make a new color selection. LOL...that quieted her rather quickly. There are many who would have told me to not to say that sort of thing and to just politely eat the s*&t she was handing me with a fork and knife....lol, not me...I've been in this business too long and its provided a great living for me, but rudness and disrespect I can not and will not ever tolerate!

Gioia

Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2002 9:59:00 AM
Anon,

Still really funny.

Anyway, you sound intelligent and well versed with your Beauty 101 chemistry lesson and all. So why would you need a product like Modulat? Like most people they don't make themselves aware until after they made a mistake and have to scramble around to fix it. That's when it's great to be educated and know how to correct the situation.

It's sort of like what your mechanic does when you need a break job. He fixes them and then charges you. He may not tell you exactly how he fixes them. Perhaps it's involved,perhaps not. He may not go to his supplier and get you the things you need to fix your breaks at home. But you still could find out how to fix your breaks if your resourceful enough. So your mechanic may lose business. That's life but there are still people who prefer not to fix their own cars and don't care to learn how.

So just because the professional is not pushing customers out the door and telling them exactly how to achieve the same results at home (which still wouldn't happen in most cases even with precise instructions) doesn't mean anything sinister is going on. It would just be plain stupid.

A client can be armed with all kinds of information. Doesn't hurt my business. But it doesn't mean they are going to get the information from me. I paid for my education, and put my experiential time in. I'll choose to disperse it in the way I choose.

But I have to admit that I think all those chemicals in the wrong hands could be accidents waiting to happen.

I have an idea for you. Now that you know the chemistry of Modulat. Why don't you mix up your own batch of it? Put it on your head and let us know how it turns out.

Lynn, BCH

Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2002 10:08:00 AM
I worked at the same, privately-owned salon for 12 years...fresh out of beauty college. It is what could be referred to as a neighborhood "beauty shop". They would allow clients to bring in their own color(if they wanted), and we were to apply it. They got a small discounted price break for supplying the color. Lots of retired folk on fixed incomes trying to save a dollar everywhere they could. I have only one client who brings her own color in, which is the client I mentioned. She's been with me for many years, and has sent me her grandaughter for a corrective color, and hilights. She doesn't threaten me or the professionalism I've developed by asking me to apply her store-bought color. She occasionally goes back to letting me use my color on her...which I am happy to do. She had come in yesterday, so she was fresh in my mind as I read these posts. My client mentioned she would like to switch to letting me start doing hilights on her the next time she comes in.
The anon-client reminded me of her...or people like her.

I had a point to my post. It had nothing to do with whether it's "professional" to apply store-bought color. It had more to do with trying to understand each other...to have a "live and let live" attitude (I have a right to my opinion and you have a right to yours). I think it makes us all look bad to be attacking and belittling each other. But that's just my own opinion.

Marjie

Posted: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 10:43:00 PM
Im new to all of this conversation that has been going on with anonymous, may I suggest we ingnore her and maybe she will go away.

vonner

Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2002 10:17:00 PM
Wow! I thought she didnt have much time. She sure seems to find enough to be here.

Anonymous

Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 12:29:00 AM
annonymous; scotch tape your bangs to your forehead ,and let them dry.And shut the #### up. good lord if you were in my chair i would have cut the basta##s off. now go away ,you wanna be...its people like you we all talk about when your gone, you nut, you cheap freak,all this over paying for a blow dry, you spend more eating a donut and coffee, now get lost,and get your momma to blow dry your •••• bangs, i mean really whats up??? sounds like some one who did not pass beauty class......

Anonymous

Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 12:50:00 AM
who is the din# using modulat? first off, i think if you knew your colour, you would not have to resort to these measures, you go on like your something else i can tell you ,i sure am glad i am not in your ######## chair. Good lord go back to the basics. what the hell are you thinking ?can you not figure out colour ? and if you must go to walmart, stop their and apply for a job cause thats where you should be. and shut up with all the nonsense in between. one thing i think you should not do is colour... modulat please...

icolohair

Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 9:49:00 AM
It REALLY pains me to be in any way involved in this, but I have to clear something up. Modulat is not condraindicated in those allergic to SULPHA antibiotics. The allergy is to SULFUR.

icolorhair
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, February 03, 2002 3:45:00 PM
OOPS --and now I have to correct myself! It's SULFA antibiotics.

Hope

Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 11:05:00 PM
TO THE ANON CLIENT
I SEE YOU DID SOME RESEARCH ON MY COLOR QUESTIONS,I HAVE TO SAY I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE REFERING TO REMAINING PIGMENT AS DEEP THIS OR DEEP THAT.I THINK YOU MEMORIZED IT FARELLY WELL.AND YOUR RIGHT ,ALOT OF THE QUESTIONS YOU PROBABLLY COULD OF LOOKED UP .BUT YOU KNOW AS WELL AS I DO THAT YOU HAD KNOW CLUE WHAT IT ALL MEANT.THERE IS ALSO A DIFFERENCE IN KNOWING THE INFO AND BEING ABLE TO SEE IT IN THE HAIR.THIS I KNOW YOU CAN NOT DO.AND WHEN YOU SAID YOU DO NOT USE OTC COLOR YOU COULDNT BE USING PROFESSIONAL UNLESS SOME ONES SELLING IT TO YOU BLACKMARKET.ALSO ,YOU SAID YOU WERENT USING SALLY BEAUTY SUPPLEY COLOR EITHER?FUNNY NO ONE MENTIONED SALLYS .COME ON KNOW SOUNDS LIKE A CONFESSION THERE. FACE IT YOUR NOT GONNA WIN HERE .AT LEAST NOT ME BECAUSE I KNOW THAT YOU DONT KNOW WHAT I KNOW .BESIDES DO IT REALLY MATTER AT ALL?

m
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, April 05, 2002 5:48:00 PM
some people will never learn. wonder how Frederic Fekkai can live with himself for charging over $400 for a mere haircut? horrors! probably makes sure the client leaves with a professional blowout as well-----ooooooo it's too much to bear. wonder if he allows Martha Stewart to formulate and bring in her own kitchen color....things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ?

m
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, April 05, 2002 5:57:00 PM
just one more thought...don't people get paid more for more knowledge and expertise? a true professional in any field is always striving for the best and to better themselves so they may achieve better work. what is the problem with being paid more for that effort? all walks of life are evident of this. if you want my work, then you pay my price-very simple. it's your choice.

nicole
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 1:41:00 PM
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. I'm licensed.
I don't usually bother to acknowledge bullcrap that miserable people shovel but I just have to say, "client", Nuclear waste is in the world too, and professionals who know how to work with it handle it. Just because it's out there, do you want access to that too???? Some of your remarks are disturbing. People like you are better off ignored.

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 2:49:00 PM
I have a client that will always call and book for just one appointment then when shecomes in we end up doing three or four differnet things. Since I am fairly new I just don't say anything. And it is getting worse, now she brings in her daughter and expects me to give her a service too. And ofcourse I do it, even if I run behind. I don't have to keep doing this to build a clientele do I?

NormaLou

Posted: Saturday, October 25, 2003 4:00:00 PM
She's taking adantage of you.

Several days before her next scheduled appointment call her/leave a message asking if she needs any additional services done in addition to the one she's booked for. Tell her you want to confirm this now because you want to give her all the time she needs; you want to block out the hours accordingly.

Let her know that she's then scheduled for a ________________ which will take approximately _____ hour(s). Make it clear ANY additional services (including extra people she brings with her!)will require a separate booking.

Nicky Meinzer

Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 4:06:00 PM
While I think its always important to finish a cut by checking it dry (you can find details you don't see when hair is wet, of course we all know peoples hair acts differently wet vs. dry), I understand there are some salons, in an effort to be more inexpensive and efficient that offer drying for an additional expense, rather than including it in the price. I don't like that but, if I was somewhere like that again...its clear...ANY drying takes time, even if its two minutes for the bangs, if you decide to just give them that, then thats your choice, but the second they try to get the rest for free, just explain..."I'm sorry, our prices are $X for without a blow dry, and $X with, and I'm just sneaking in a little extra for you. But if I blow dry the rest of your hair, even for five minutes, I have to charge you for a full blow dry because we charge for the time spent." Don't feel bad about it. The prices are known, and its unfair. You wouldn't ask a waiter to charge you less because you're seated near the kitchen and he doesn't have to walk as far, or you don't ask someone else performing any sort of service to not charge what the price is because you feel you want to pay less than the rest of the people who use their resources. And I'm sure no one would appreciate their employer saying "I know you make $15 an hour doing this, but can I just pay you $10 an hour?". It offends me that people have the audacity to expect something for nothing, and they want to take that out of your livelyhood, and you have to pay bills too.

TLH
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 11:08:00 AM
For about 4 years I've been charging separate prices for sham/HC and sham/HC/dry. It started when I was at a dept store salon and now I'm booth renting and just kept my prices along with my clients. Now, I'm renting at a new salon, have about half the clients I want, and I'm wishing I just had one price for all of it. (Cause sometimes I WANT to see the dry look but the client doesn't care and would rather the lower price). How does one go about raising the price to clients who are used to paying $20? I want to charge them all the full price -- 28 or so. I want only one cost for haircuts. But that's a HUGE leap. Yet some of my clients ARE paying the higher price.

How do we go about restructuring our prices like this? I'm in a quandry and any input would be welcome (except the ones who want to tell me that I shouldn't have done it in the first place: I know that and sincerely wish I hadn't but there I am)

TLH
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, April 05, 2004 11:12:00 AM
PS I especially see this as a problem with my men and women who have very short cuts. I've always thought it unfair that men and women have diff. prices and vowed never to do that. But now I see that a very short cut, the maintenance cut, not the new style, IS a lot easier and faster than the longer hairstyles or new styles. How do you justify pricing them the same? I mean, I don't even dry some of my clients' hair because when I'm done, all it needs is a bit of gel or pomade. Versus the full 15 min. or more blow dry and style of others. What a quandry!

Ang

Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 9:47:00 AM
You could charge clients with shorter hair 20 dollars and the rest 28 dollars. If you use a curling a iron the to style their hair then I would charge more. We charge 20 a wet cut and 35 for cut and style. It doesn't matter if their hair is long or short it's all the same at our place. You could charge extra for longer hair. I would. Just explain to them that there would be an extra charge for longer hair. Mabybe 5 dollar more for longer hair. That sounds fair.
Good luck

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 6:56:00 PM
You simply charge for the time it takes, that way everybody pays what it's worth. Please raise your prices at once, now you are booth rental your clients must understand that you have expenses that need to be met. Begin by charging all new clients more and putting a sign to say so on your mirror, in big letters so your regular clients can see it. If you need to, continue to charge the old ones the same for the next visit, but by then they will expect the increase and you'll be silly not to go for it. If they see that the prices are up, and they return, it means that they are O.K. with it, if not they will leave.
You went into business for a reason, to make money, so....do it!

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 8:15:00 AM
amen!

NiceAnon
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 8:36:00 AM
I agree.

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, April 08, 2004 4:30:00 PM
I agree with Britboy, you are in business to make money. First, you have to decide what kind of clientele you are trying to build. Are you going after clients that are concerned about the price or are you after people who care about their hair. If you are trying to attract people looking for the lowest price, then set your prices accordingly, charge separately for each service you do and CHARGE them for those services. Give them exactly what they pay for, no more, no less. If the only reason a person comes to you is the price you charge, they are not really your client. In our business, your prices tell what kind of stylist you are. I own a booth rental salon and all of my stylists' charge different prices. I have stylists that make $75,000 a year and I have stylist that make $15,000. It's up to you, you set the price, not the client. Good luck!

Johnny P Compton

Posted: Monday, June 28, 2004 7:51:00 PM
I am a Barber and Cosmetologist of 25 years experience a Specialist in Hair Reconditioning ready to help you in Your hair condition problem.Ihave not had the experience with hair color at all but i am now excited to know Hair Color enough to be a specialialist which i know you stylist out there are those whom desire to help anyone with the crudentials I have wanted to know the world of color. Again if any of you out there are wanting to know Hair Reconditioning,then I am the one to ask. Between us both we will all be a Speialist in Hair Reconditioning and Hair Color.

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 12:47:00 PM
eh?

Trey
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 9:07:00 PM
o my...somebody's been drinking the developer...

hairtzer@hotmail.com

Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 10:21:00 PM
wow what a great topic! its wild to see non- professionals try to understand our industry.
it is a great analogy between doctor and stylist,100 years ago we as cosmetology professionals were as honored as doctors and it was a sign of status to invite us to celebrations.we were payed for our time and welcomed into homes. alot has changed.
now for my opinion,in my state it is a violation under my license to allow any cliente to perform any service on themselves in a salon.so bottom line its fine if you dont want your hair dried by a professional just understand that the price will not change.

marla

Posted: Sunday, July 04, 2004 10:39:00 PM
I realize this was an old message that's becoming a long one...
This 'client' that has so little time to get her hair blown dry seems to have mega time to rebuttle people on here.
It's not just the haircolor that does damage. Even if a professional color is applied to your hair in the wrong manner,ex..all through the hair rather than only on the regrowth, it can still be a disaster for professionals to fix.
If you are in the salon and don't want your hair dried with the dryer, politely tell this to the stylist, explain that you realize there are techniques used by the stylist, but you'd rather not have that service done.
Why come onto this site to argue? Clearly, you are an arguementative person to go back and repeat back word for word what others have written.
As for the reason prescription drugs aren't over the counter,,not because the drs want more money, but because of idiots who use it the wrong way, die or get seriously hurt and turn around and sue ( if they are alive) or the family sues...duh
Thanks

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, July 05, 2004 10:35:00 AM
"Idiots" also use things like tylenol, nytol, and even rubbing alcohol the wrong way. Prescription drugs are regulated because the market value for them is lucrative. That's just one of the many reasons they are regulated. There's more to it than meets the average eye.

Proudstylist

Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 1:12:00 PM
Are you serious?!!!! I just started reading this thread today, and from my estimation Anon, You have been checking in for 2 1/2 YEARS on this topic!!! If you are so pressed for time, turn OFF your computer. Just think how much you would have gotten done if you hadn't spent those years arguing with the stylist in here and surfing the net for ingredients, hair color laws, etc. You should probably see a therapist. It seems you may have an OCD. If not, why are you so h*ll-bent on knowing every detail about our profession. I enjoy working with computers, but you don't see me going into discussion forums with IT professionals demanding to know everything I can't find out on my own! And then tell them they must be running some sort of conspiracy ring because I don't know everything! Move on, live your life, and stop wasting space on this discussion board! Thank you!

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 8:15:00 PM
Who in the hell are you talking to Proudstylist?? Take a xanax and calm down.

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, August 27, 2004 10:58:00 PM
OKAY NEW THREAD!!! Here's one: White bouffant haired old lady walks into a salon and goes straight into the cutting room to see if her stylist is on time. Stylist says she is in fact running about 10 mins late. Irate dinosaur woman returns to front desk with nostils flared and through her wraparound sunglasses glares at the girl behind the desk(me manager stylist) and says "you people need to call when someone is going to be late!" mind you she cut another client off who was booking a series af appts.My reply was to ask her if she had already spoken to stylist & had a confirmed tardiness. She says of course she did, I said well we'll just have her come out here and speak to you again then. She then follows me into the room full of customers with a slight delay, I'm telling the stylist that "Mrs So&so would like to have a phone call if you will be more than 2 minutes late"So then the client in her chair getting the current service says "well tell Mrs so&so she can call ahead to see if the appt is exactly on time" i turn around to Mrs so&so standing there. so&so says "I did'nt tell her to come in here and make you rush, but I expect a phone call". 10 mins? is this a problem for anyone? I feel that in a service industry that fuses hospitality,creativity and a human medium for creating upon, it is a lot to ask for any stylist to run exactly on time. This woman is being rediculous is she not? She says the service she is used to is not what is being given.However I think that all the other clients that are there deserve the proper attention as well, and this type of client ruins it for all. Buses are late planes are late doctors,dentists, you name it, it happens. Share, please your story of tardiness!!

OLSKooLGRL

Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2004 6:31:00 AM
I love your description of this client and the story unfolding...Well, sometimes I am late, because a client's hair takes longer to finish than expected: from coloring or highlights that take awhile , or they called asking for color but meant highlights ,etc. Sometimes I run late becasue the clients are late. Its part of what we do, its bound to happen. I have noticed older people do get upset about everything when the world doesnt run like clockwork set to their clock. I think I would try to give this client a standing appt, first in the day, that way, there can be no confusion and the stylist can move through the rest of the day without worry. AND emphasize, that if her appt is for 9am Sat, She will be taken at 9am , NOT 8:45!! , Hope this helps, gotta run so I wont be late!lol! Faith!
PS- as for calling for 10 mins late? Idont think its bad enough to merit a call.

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2004 3:26:00 PM
People have to accept that we all have to wait. Do people get snotty with doctors when they are late?
I do not cater to people like this. I would rather not have her as a client. Its not worth my sanity.
Some people are cronic complainers.
I think if you are running more than 20min late it warrants a call.
I once heard at a class from a stylist:
"I tell my clients, having a an appointment only means you will be seen that day"
Take it or leave it

Hair by angel
Bronze Member

client posting in professional
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2008 4:32:40 PM
Ignore this person who feels the need to do this kind of thing.

I can do all things thru Christ who gives me strength!