Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Flat Irons~
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:31:00 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Flat Irons~
Remy Blue
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 8:07:00 PM
I have been using the original CHI flat iron by Farouk and now there is a short in the chord and I need a new flat iron. The warranty expired and I don't want to pay the $40-50 to ship it to a company that I've never heard of to get it fixed. Is there another brand that can straighten, curl, and/or flip hair like the CHI flat irons?

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 8:31:00 PM
I have both a 1" and 1/2" InfraShine and also a 1" Rusk. I love them both. The Rusk iron has a slight curve to the handle and it seems to be a bit easier on the wrist.

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 8:37:00 PM
Hi Remy.I don't know of another that's comparable to the Chi iron, but my Chi iron also shorted out.(Actually 2 of them)but they were under warranty. I would contact the company because I think it was a bad batch that was manufactured.(That's what my rep told me and replaced them no questions asked) I would ask them to send you a new one even if the warranty has expired. I know they're expensive, and unless you've had yours for years, it shouldn't have shorted out.I hope this helps. Good luck :)

tnbwell

Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 7:16:00 AM
Hi, we retailed several CHI irons only to have them be returned to our salon with a short. One client opted to send to the company because it had been 7 months since purchase and she took it to Europe. THey sent her a brand new one. The others were returned within 2 months. The Reps that service our salon took them back and replaced them with no questions asked also. WE no longer retail the CHI. WE also no longer use the CHI straight perm. WE looked into the Krembs irons that work from wet to dry, and they are being reworked. Right now I am using a Cricket knock-off of the CHI, it's okay, not perfectly balanced though. WE also have the Rusk irons.Still searching for the perfect iron!! B. well.!!

statikman
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 8:37:00 AM
HAI stik. Excellent iron, excellent value. It's all we use in my company and it's all we sell.

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 3:06:00 PM
I am using the Paul Mitchell iron and love it. I was using the Chi, but had problems.

Tien

Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 2:49:38 AM

I use a $800 flat iron from Japan, the quality is unreal and unlike any flat irons I could ever find in America.

The Ceramic place is glossy and shinier than a brand new Mercedez Benz SL65 right off the lot, I've used Chi's, Hai Sticks, and Paul Mitchell, but nothing ever compares.

HairMaven
Gold Member

humm...
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 9:05:52 AM
I've yet to see an $800 flat iron. I've seen $300 and used one, to be honest I can tell NO difference in the end result of the 'cheap' iron and the 'expensive' iron. Oh sure, the made quality is better on the AST model, but big deal. A flat iron is a flat iron, heat is heat. As long as the hair gets hot, it works. I don't buy into all this "ceramic" "ionic" blah blah blah. The hair is shiny cause you cooked the snot out of it with a 400 degree iron.

statikman
Silver Member

Agree with Maven
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 11:05:03 AM
I've tried many different irons, including the new digital ceramic irons from Bion. All good, but hard to imagine any reason for there to be more than a range between $70-$200 in my opinion. It's really about features for some people, and frankly all I need are two really hot, smooth plates with a fast recovery time to achieve good fast results. I'm not knocking you Tien, and if you want to pay $800 wholesale for an iron, that's obviously your choice (and please print the brand name, because I think you may have over payed regardless). I wonder if your motives are to find the most expensive equipment rather than the best bang for your buck.

jeanette

flat irons
Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2004 4:15:09 PM
i dont know if these are available outside the uk but have you heard of ghd. they have ceramic plates and heat to 220 degrees they are massive in the uk all the salons here have them. plus remmington have got some called wet to straight that work amazing ive just got some to try at home, i wouldnt use them in the salon they are for home use but would be a great retail item for xmas.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2004 9:34:42 PM

The Krembs wet-to-dry iron works really well but they are having production problems with the new batch and have stopped shipping them.

Maven you are right, the whole ionic thing is a lot of bull, the hair is shiny because it's been flattened and the light reflects off of it better, that's all there is to that. The hair's condition isn't improved at all, it looks shinier, but it's actually been fried down and the next time it's washed it reverts to it's tired look and feel. I just love the way these beginners will believe almost anything they read or hear, like ear-candling for example, what a crock! Ha ha HA...

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, September 30, 2004 9:49:19 PM
Learning to think for yourself is something that is no longer taught in school, and that is sad, sad, sad...

statikman
Silver Member

GHD
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2004 9:03:48 AM
GHD is the same as the HAI Twig, Paul Brown Hawaii irons and many others. There literally are only 3 or 4 factories in the world that make top-end irons and then they are private labelled and will have a custom colour or different plate colour. My local Joico distributor just PL'd 5000 ( minimum order) "Wet to Dry" irons as "Silks" and they have become very popular here. People don't realise that they are the exact same product with a different name and will often pay more than they could with doing a little research.

statikman
Silver Member

Ionic Myths
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2004 9:17:41 AM
I just bought a T3 dryer, which is identical to a Chi but in grey/ silver. I bought it because of the rave reviews people give the Chi. The big claim with the T3 is that there are tourmaline crystals crushed into the heating coils, creating an unequalled ionic experience.
The reason these dryers work so quickly is because they are obscenely hot and have nothing to do with ions. They are feather-light because there is no powerful motor pushing massive air flow like traditional dryers. Less air flow means less cool air from the back cooling the heating coils as it passes over them, allowing the coils to get much hotter and putting way more heat on the hair.
It's a decent dryer, but for the price, they could have put more than a 7 foot cord on it. I've used mine for 2 weeks now and still prefer my old Elchim Studio.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, October 01, 2004 8:34:42 PM
The only "ionic" dryers that I've noticed a "ionic" difference is 1. Bybliss Ionic Pro or something like that, it has the electric ion generators on the side of the nozzle and you can actually smell the ions. . 2. Metropolis, I dont remember the name but it subscribes to statik's egg fryer technology but does have a heavy duty motor and is a little heavy, but dries hair faster than any other I've used. I use this on one that gorilla fur client that has massive hair that she wants blown straight and melted smooth. But I don't use it exclusively due to the weight issue. For the day to day stuff I use the HAI ionic blowdryer and it's ok... Yeah, just ok.. But great if your bald. ha ha

Tien

Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 12:55:20 AM
http://www.folica.com/Sedu_Ionic_Cera_d1557.html

here's what looks like a knock off of the one I use. Perfect shiny ceramic plate. Allure magazine rated it #1 iron, and chi is listed at #10

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2005 6:06:39 AM
rats! more dead links!

askme

Posted: Friday, June 10, 2011 12:56:30 PM
I recommend the Karmin G3 Salon Pro, it heats up to 450f with temperature control, dual voltage, tourmaline ceramic plates with rounded edges which makes it great for also curling your hair. Also has a 3 year warranty. It works pretty good with any type of hair. I hope this helps.

nkyeepoong

Izunami
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2011 3:46:45 PM
I use the ARROJO by IZUNAMI and absolutely love it. IZUNAMI offers different sized flat irons. They have adjustable heat settings and can go as high as 450 if you needed to do keratin treatments. It leaves the hair very shiny and silky. And you can do the flips n curls too. They run around 100-150. talk to your local distributor.