Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Does curved shears really make a difference in the cut?
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:31:00 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Does curved shears really make a difference in the cut?
Lou

Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 4:31:00 PM
Has anybody try this kind of shears? Do you like them?

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 8:23:00 PM
try Robert Cromeans shears. You know there going to be wonderfull.
God bless

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2004 9:04:00 PM
I have a pair, Hukacho (or something like that), about $100. Their okay.

The only thing that I like curved scissors for is point cutting deep channels into the shape your cutting. Makes the channel you cut separate more than using a straight scissor (which will give you a very similar effect). Other than that, they are useless.

They are good for "Cool Factor" when your trying to look like you know what your doing. And I've been known to play that card once in a while. ha ha...

Doesn't matter who makes them, they are not going to be a precision tool.

Remy Blue
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 8:37:00 PM
Curved Shears are good for notch cutting. They are also good for styles that frame the face. It is easier to get movement and roundness in a cut. You can also use them to blend. Straight lines are not possible. They can be expensive, but worth it if you are really into hair cutting.
Besides, the more toys the better!

CJ

Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2004 10:18:26 PM
Love my Paul Mitchell curved blades!

No matter what, the end result is a little different than the "same" cut done with regular shears.

Oh, and the "cool factor" is a nice little bonus. You should have seen the gals and clients when I changed locations, the first time I whipped those babies out! Priceless!

tdub
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2004 7:15:38 PM
I've seen robert cromeans do that 'teasey' haircut. and I was wondering if you have to do that with the curved shears. cause I don't really feel like paying all that money for them.

britboy
Platinum Member

Cro(magnon)means...
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 5:35:13 PM

Hey Vally, didja see the latest Modern Salon mag? It's got your boy in the Paul Mitchell booklet, as usual he's WEARING A HAT!

If this nitwit doesn't understand that a hairstylist should be promoting hair, not hats, then he should get into another line of work...

It's one thing to try to look cool, but really it's a bad joke for any stylist to wear a cowboy hat, do-rag or ANY type of head-covering...it's like a manicurist wearing gloves at a show or a real-estate agent who lives in her car.

statikman
Silver Member

Where Is She???
Posted: Monday, November 01, 2004 6:09:38 PM
I never thought I would have to say this, but where the heck is Vallygrl? Not one post since the board has switched, and I know because I've been watching for her. Let us know what you're up to Vally!

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Britboy
Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 2004 5:43:51 PM
Hello Britboy, it really is fantastic hearing from you.  You certainly add amusement to the board.  I must say without your assinine comments, it is quite dull.  Now i will reply to your message not because you will reply back to me, but because i feel like it deserves a reply.

First off no i did not see that article, trust me if i saw it i would have noticed it, as i have almost three hundred pictures of Robert Cromeans in my personal files, collection what have you.  Second off once again you have taken one example of Mr. Cromeans wearing a hat, when in all actuallity i have seen him twice as much not wearing a hat.   Third off once again, what is wrong with him wearing a hat?  Your right Britboy, he is a hairstyist.  A hat is a viable hairstyle.  I being a hairstylist like to wear my hair different ways.  I put it up, i but barrettes in it, etcetera, being a guy he is obviously slightly limited in that venue,so therefore he wears a hat on occasion.  His hats are not silly or strange or pecuilliar, they are actually quite fashionable.  I think that he dresses incredibly stylish.  I will give you that you maybe have not seen Mr. Cromeans in person.  Magazines do not actually do him justice, seeing him in person, he is very elegant, very suave, everything is just so, his nails and eyebrows are perfectly manicured.  His hair and facial hair are styled, his clothes are stylish and they fit him like they were made for him.  He always looks well put together and he his quite good looking.

Now as far as your second statement goes, perhaps nitwit means something different in Britain but in the continental united states nitwit means stupid or silly, and there is not anything stupid or silly about Mr. Cromeans.  He is a brilliant bussiness man, and he has literally made an empire out of beliefs and practises.  He came to the united states with not much more than a dream, and now he is a multi-location salon owner.  He is incredibly wealthy, and so are most of his staff.  He is an amazing hairstylist and he really knows what he is doing. 

I cannont believe that you would base someone being in this industry or not based on how they dress.  I cant fathom that a thinking person would suggest that someone who is such a brilliant hairdresser and incredible educator should leave the profession because you don't like a style he occassionally wears.

Last he was not wearing a cowboy hat and a durag, he was wearing a Panama hat and a bandanna, there is a difference.  I do not expect someone who does not know what nitwit means to know the difference between a bandanna and a durag though.  So your forgiven.

In closing Britboy, i am so not trying to diss you, but as someone who has met Mr. Cromeans for the second time, i went to one of his classes and it was fantastic.  He is a very intelligent, humble, sweet, wonderful, gifted man.  He is one of the brightest lights in this industry, and one has to wonder, what you honestly have against him.  He is probaly thee nicest, most genuine person that i have met in our industry, and i don't think he gets an iota of the respect that he should get.  Also your right he is promoting hairstyling, and he is a spokesperson for hairstyling, and i believe that he does a great job, and i think that he does have quite a bit of style, and that his wearing hats on occassion, are an example of his style.

The following are some links that Mr. Cromeans is not wearing a hat and his hair looks quite stylish.  I would suggest that you at least look at them.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 12:54:53 AM

The point is simply that a hairstylist should never wear a hat unless they are outside in a very cold climate. They should be demonstrating how a great hairstyle looks at all times, if they don't have fabulous hair, who should?

You are very sweet in your praises of your boy, but please think rationally, in a businesslike manner, not just like a teenager with a crush. Should we all start wearing hats (and by the way, isn't it 'do-rag' not du rag, and a bandanna is a do-rag too) pretty soon the public would forget about hairstyling completely, and then where would we all be?

You'll find that Mr Cromeans is more often than not pictured wearing a head-covering of some type... not a good image for a hairstylist, no matter how 'stylish or fashionable' you might find them.  

And what's with the 2 pairs of sunglasses worn simultaneously...indoors?  Nah, it's just flash.

Ha

Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 12:30:53 PM
hahaha, ok, is it just me or does anyone else think that Cromeans is trying to be like Lobetta?  Like a version of Robert Lobetta gone horribly wrong - no offense to Cromeans as a person but style wise

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Britboy
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 1:22:26 PM
Britboy-for the final time, i do not have a crush on Mr. Cromeans, i think he is a wonderful, sensitive, intelligent artist.  I feel that Mr. Cromeans is like the twenty-thirst century Picasso, i truly believe that in the future, children will read about him in history books. 
Second off, both spelling of durag are correct, but no a bandanna is not a durag.
Third off Mr. Cromeans does have incredible style, and he does not where a hat all that often, besides what is your hangup with hats, are you like the hair police.
Fourth, Mr. Cromeans does demonstrate perfectly styled hair everyday.
Fifth, i personally would not care if Mr. Cromeans came to IBS in polyester board shorts, granny sunglasses and ugg boots, what matters is Mr. Cromeans is thee premiere hairstylist of our time.  He is the most talented incredible hairstylist in the world.
Last  but not least you are telling me to view him in a bussinesslike way, well that is exactly how i do view him, i took his advice, and i landed myself a great job. 

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

grrr
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 1:24:41 PM
Ha-i do not think that Robert Cromeans is at all ripping off Robert Lobetta, i think that there styles are completly different, i think Robert has a much younger, much more polished appearance. Don't get me wrong, i love Mr. Lobetta, but Mr. Cromeans is much hipper. He is like generation x though, and Mr. Lobetta is like older. God bless