Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Education is turning out to be a RIP OFF!
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:31:00 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Education is turning out to be a RIP OFF!
Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 6:01:00 PM
My God... I wanted to go to a Toni & Guy cut and color class they want $950!!!!!!!! For 2 days?!?!?! What the hell? Any suggesstions on where I can get some cheaper classes? I wouldn't mind spending in the $150-$300 range but $950 is a little extravagant. I am a new stylist ( just hit my one year mark!) and I really want education, I am trying to be very dedicated to staying on top of the newest styles and color techniques. Help is greatly appreciated!

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 6:52:00 PM
You get what you pay for. I recently attended a Toni and Guy Advanced Academy for a 4 day class, paid $950, and I feel that it was worth every penny and then some.

vallygrl
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 9:35:00 PM
anon-anon 6:52 is right, education can be expensive, i'm thinking of going to a couple robert cromeans (the king of hairstyling) classes, and there around one thousand for two days. I think for his experiance and what that will look like on a resume(always think about your resume) it's worth it. Also there are local classes by companies that are a couple hundred, this seems like a rip off to me, local classes by not any top names, so i myself tend to go with the more expensive classes.
Look around though, you might find some really awesome deals, and remember anything is education, if your really hard up for money at the time, get some educational videos. You might with your price range that your looking at disagree with me and want to go to a local class for a couple hundred. Look at your local mall, and salons, they tend to have classes available. Good luck with your carreer
God bless

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 11:48:00 PM
I understand you get what you pay for, but I shouldn't have to nearly take out a home equity loan to pay for education. I can't afford to spend that kind of money. Who just has $1000 lying around to spend on a class? Not me. All of my hard earned money goes to my bills and I don't really have that many. Cost of living is just too much. I would LOVE to go to a Robert Cromeans class, but there is no way I could afford it.

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 6:42:00 AM
I agree with anon 11:48.
Education costs are out of hand- even the books and videos are grossly overpriced.
Look at masters in other occupations that sell their techniques and advice through these types of methods and it's no-where near as costly.
The people selling these things to us know our desire to be considered "professional" (a stupid minor thing that seems to have so much bearing on our self esteems). Professional people usually have lots of schooling- so they play this up on us wicked.And we have fallen...hard.
Education is key- but pricing should be more affordable- $100-$400 is reasonable. $1000.00 is ridiculously too expensive. Some people would need to take out a loan or make monthly installments to pay that.

vallygrl
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 8:45:00 AM
anon-i understand, however there are cheaper classes available, and i'm sure that financial aid is available.
God bless

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 9:17:00 AM
I got involved in the Paul Mitchell Educators program about 7 years ago. I have been trained by some of the best stylists out there, including a 4 day class with Robert Cromeans, all free. Talk to some of your sales reps about what educators programs are available. You have to spend some time teaching, which you are paid for, but you could not buy the education you recieve.

Remy Blue
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 9:40:00 AM
I spent $550 on a 3-day class and it was worth every penny. If TONI & GUY is your goal, then save-save-save! Some class costs are RIDICULOUS!!! - but sometimes they are worth the cost. I usually stick to classes at hair/beauty/trade shows. They are cheaper, if not free. Then I buy the video(s) to reinforce what I've learned at the shows. Videos also tend to be cheaper at shows. I attended a Sebastian class this week, which was awesome! It was hands-on and very cheap, but it wasn't publicly advertised.You can contact different companies and ask if there are going to be any classes in your area(or surrounding areas). I found that there is very little advertising for classes, unless they are of high cost or at a major event. Don't get discouraged if you don't have the major $$$ right now & never lose your hunger for education!

statikman
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 11:34:00 AM
Great idea Anon. I too was lucky enough to be an educator for a company, and the free education and experience was incredible. I spent 4 weeks a year learning from some of the best for free.
Also, learn locally. As a beginner, don't waste your energy on advanced ideas and crazy techniques, take fundamental-type classes put on by the local distributors. Their educators get trained from Robert Cromeans etc. and then bring it to your city for a fraction of the cost. My association also does cheap hands-on classes as well.
You don't need to spend alot of money at this stage of your career. Just do everything you can and absorb as much education, good or bad, as possible. When you become more advanced, start towards a specific school of training.

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 1:39:00 PM
I did apply for a Rusk team position that is pretty much the same thing as Anon 9:17 was talking about. I wouldn't mind assisting at shows to learn more for free, so hopefully they will call me.

Thanks for the great advice!

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 8:58:00 PM
washington dc, graham webb accademy. i have been to a class there and plan on going to one in oct also. usually i pay about 400.00 for a 2 day class...some of them are quite expensive! would love to go to a toni and guy class, have heard great things! the best thing for me is i use it as a tax write off, along with all expenses there.

Sigel

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 8:04:00 PM
I've read several posts comparing hairdressers with doctors, dentists, etc and these professionals get thousands of dollars for teaching engagements. Why should hair industry educators charge only a fraction of what they make daily in a salon, to provide classes for "$100 to $400" rather than for $1,000? If you want to do hair like $1,000 per day stylists, then pay the money. There are already tons of low priced classes anyone can take even in the $50 range. If the $1,000 per day instructors are willing to take a 80% cut in pay because you think this is a fair price, let me know and I'll attend also.

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 8:29:00 PM
It's one thing if they are charging $1000 a day for 1 on 1, but if there are 20 people in the class, then it's $20,000 a day less expenses. Not a bad little profit.

Sigel

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 11:29:00 PM
My old boss used to teach classes at hairshows and in salons, but he got to a point were he was losing about $500 per hour and there were very few people willing to pay for his time. This situation also occured with the content of his classes. He could do a great workshop on how to break the 500 employee ceiling, but the half dozen people that would benefit from his workshop had already figured out how to do it. There are fewer and fewer people to attend really advanced classes, and the topics become more specialized, but I still think that if they are going to teach a class, they should charge what they make normally plus travel. The market will take care of it because if nobody is interested in the class they simply won't attend. If people are paying for classes and they come back, the training must be worth it, at least to those people. I don't want 500 employees so I go to Paris.

Tien

Posted: Monday, September 13, 2004 2:33:49 AM

I would never recommend Paul Mitchell (robert cromeans) trainning.

Their cutting system lacks precision, the best precision cutting system in the world has always been, and always will be Vidal Sassoon.

http://www.kineda.com/album/data/16paulmitchell.jpg

Paul Mitchell super skinny collection

http://www.kineda.com/album/data/16sassoon.jpg

Vidal Sassoon

look at the level of difference in precision, paul mitchell picture was done by head instructor of Robert Cromeans Academy. The haircut above the forehead is easy, cause you are able to rest your scissors on the forehead. yet it is still very unbalanced, I attended paul mitchell's advanced academies, I came back with a brochure and my friend who's not even a hairdresser said wtf when he saw it, cause even he noticed that it was uneven.

also here another picture from Sebastian

http://www.kineda.com/album/data/16blond.jpg

That is what I honestly believe as the hardest haircut in the world to do, easy to create a basic shape, but hardest to perfect, the length of the cut right around the eyes makes it hard and can only be achieved freehand, and being so close to the eyes makes it extra hard and nerve wrecking at times.

But even Paul Mitchell came from Vidal Sassoon trainning, but Paul Mitchell pasted away before the Paul Mitchell started their educational programs. I honestly believe if Paul Mitchell did not die from cancer everything would be much better, but as is right now, I believe Paul Mitchell academies lack structure.

goldylocks

ripoff
Posted: Monday, December 26, 2005 1:35:02 AM
I agree with TIEM (TIEN?).  The education thats beeing offered through Paul Mitchell is not up to my standards.  There always seems to be a lot of flash and "look how great we are " kind of attitude when you attend any class or show sponsered by them.  I guess I don't feel I need to attach myself to their " cool" image.  Local talents are quite available and you can find some pretty informative classes, but I guess you want to ask around.  Check with your local distributor and see what they offer. 

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 6:59:15 AM
why are the links dead? They are not working "from this server"??? says requested link not forund on this server? what does that mean?

elizabethb

Links
Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 2:40:10 PM
The links that were posted were posted incorrectly. I have the same problem when I click on them. Instead of going to a website they are jpg which is a picture on the site.  Please try going here http://www.kineda.com/

Elizabeth

elizabethb@behindthechair.com

Tien

Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 8:27:28 PM
god it was over a year since i posted that, pictures do get deleted, they were'nt broken links.

http://www.fashionnetwork.at/beratung/news/4859.jpg
sebastian

http://www.happi.com/images3/May0411.jpg

paul mitchell cover of the super skinny line dvd

small pictures, but you can still tell the difference in level of technique.

http://www.takarabelmont.co.jp/vs/jpg/vsac-01.jpg

vidal sassoon.

claudia lane

Info on Arrojo Academy
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2008 1:39:11 PM
I would like to let everyone know about my experience with Arrojo Academy. I took a class with Nick Arrojo this past Spring at the NYC Hair Show and was very impressed. Therefore, I decided to sign up for his classic cutting class at his academy in NYC. The cost was approx. $1,000 for a 3 day class. I paid, made arrangements for hotel, etc. I received a call a week or two before from Kristine in the education dept. telling me the class was cancelled. She was very apologetic and said she would send my check out the following week and send me a DVD. Well a few weeks went by and no check. I called 2 times and left a message and received no return call. Six weeks had passed and I got pissed and sent an angry email. Kristine called me immediately after I sent the email. And again she was very apologetic and said she did not receive my messages. She would overnight my check and send me a DVD. I did finally get the check a few days later, but she did not overnight it and I never got the DVD. I thought that this was a reputable academy seeing that Nick is on TV and all. Needless to say I won't be going to his academy and want to warn others about this. Thanks.

christy75

i wish i worked for an incrowd salon
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 1:22:16 PM

I'm saving up for that $950 Toni & Guy Modern Classics class...and I think it's for 4 days.