Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Need help with thin, limp hair and updos
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:30:59 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Need help with thin, limp hair and updos
jennagrrl75

Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 10:04:00 PM
So my "darling" sister-in-law-to-be is getting married in a month and of course she asked me to do her hair. I must have inhaled too much hair spray that day because I said yes. Well I went to her house to do a practice run last week and nothing that I did made her happy. She has very thin,shoulder length hair that she wants to wear half up and half down. At first I curled all her hair and then pinned the curls on the crown. She hated the curls in the bottom but liked them on the top (confusion sets in). So then we re-straightened the bottom and left it curly on the top but gave her a straight side bang. She liked the side bang but hated the curls. So I told her that curling it was the only way that she is going to get body in her hair and have it stay that way for more than 5 minutes. Then as we were both tired of talking about hair she took the top pieces and put them into am elastic at the crown of her head and said that she like how that looked. To me it looked like something that you would do one a 3 year old. She also is getting a veil and a tiara. She wants to do another practice, what do I do!? I feel like I would be wasting my time and effort to put half her hair in a ponytail and curling it. If anyone can help I would be an amazing help. Feel free to tell me that I'm being a brat, I take harsh advice well.

tnbwell

Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 6:40:00 AM
hey Jennagrrl, Don't fret! thin limp hair just needs a velcro roller set to give it body not curl. Try to set it on either 1 1/2" or 2" velcros on dry hair made semi damp with hair spray. Roll the whole head up and back spraying each section as you roll. This set will give incredible body and because you do it on dry hair no roller dents will get in the way. Make sure your rollers are on base. If she likes the hair up high on the head give it to her that way. Half up and half down could work, but you need a lot of hair, and it may wilt by the end of the day. The curling iron smoothes the hair and sort of shrinks the diameter by laying down the cuticle, you need it roughed up. Lots of spray in your prep work will keep it up. Maybe try a more elegant bun on top of her head with some little bohemian wispy pieces coming out or just the pile of curls on top. If you're uncofortable with the pony tail idea, and you need more length of hair that will stay free, this is one way I do an updo; After the set, you can pull everything up and on top by using bobby pins to form a halo (complete circle= sturdy)around the crown of the head. The pins are sort of locked together by putting the next ones tips through the last ones eye. You probably have to try it while reading this to get it. Just remember to lock them all together then put your tiara in and iron curl the ends a bit (the set makes this fast and easy). You can pin some of the curls around the tiara to hide its arms and then put the veil right behind the tiara or just under the cluster of curls.If all else fails, tell her that you need a photo of what she thinks is suitable, hope I helped you! B.

hairhappens
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 8:06:00 AM
Something I just did a couple of weekends ago and it looked great: I curled the entire head using an iron and I pulled just the crown area up into an elastic band, which you said she liked the look of. After this, though, I pulled up one curl at a time, sort of criss-crossing each, and pinned them around the elastic band to give it a softer look (so she wouldn't look like a three year old). I left out the bang area and swept it to the side, like you did, leaving it straight, but somewhat blending it in with the curls on top so it looked a little more uniform, without an obvious split. They were too short to pin, so I srayed them with a VERY strong spray...never moved. The areas left out around the ears and neckline were curlded just enough so they were not straight. It looked great.

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 8:07:00 AM
great advice tnbwell-also, don't forget the backbrushing/backcombing. you may still have time to get a Martin Parson's video-for technique. one of the best investments i've ever made.

tnbwell

Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 8:08:00 PM
yes m2, definitely have to tease almost to the point that the client is scared, but after you smooth everything it's okay. We have these brushes made by Regency that are 29 years old in the salon. The bristles are boar, but they have these long nylon bristles that stick up an extra 1/4". The nylon bristles pick up the surface hair and the boar smoothes the hair under the surface. You get a nice clean look while retaining the nice cushion of tease that holds the pins in so much better than un-teased hair. A video is worth a 100,000 words. I've only seen the Martin Parsons books, then there are a few others worthwhile. Your touch is important, steadiness also. Centered is very important to most brides. Smooth and shiny, also unique and beautiful. I always save pictures from the red carpet celebrity styles, some pretty, some wierd, some elegant and simple.Most everything is teased and sectioned. One of the most useful things I learned at a PM class was to leave everything in front of the ears and forward out till last. This was insurance that anything snagged would be covered with your other sections,. A ponytail can go a long way (right on Hairhappens) by pinning other pieces into it. I sometimes will use 2 or 3 or 4 ponies on the head to spread the hair out and get the most length out of it. they also provide a secure base to pin into. So Set Tease Pony Pin and Conquer and don't forget to Charge! B.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 2:31:00 PM
Exactly, you need to use false hair, after all this is a 'special-occasion hairdo' so make it special.

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2004 11:03:00 PM
another good suggestion

jennagrrl775

Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2004 9:39:00 PM
Thank you for all of the input...we are doing another practice in a few days. I'll let you know how it goes...

kate

Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 5:57:00 PM
What I usually do for clients in this situation is this: I have them wash their hair and blow dry (the morning of) upside down with mousse and root lifter in it and have them pin it up right before coming in. When they come in, I flip the head over and spray the heck out of it with a medium hold aeresol and flip up and tease the entire head at the roots. For something like what you are doing, this works good because when they flip their head up you can seperate the top and bottom and then style the bottom how you want and you will have the body there. Make sure your finishing spray is a hard one.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 8:32:00 PM
Do what wes done in the 'olden-days'...that is, SET the hair before trying to do an up-do. You really can't get any movement or body in hair until you put it there (if it has none naturally)...A wet-set works best, a hot roller set, next best.
I have clients asking me all the time if they should tease their hair to give it body, but of course teasing flat straight fine limp hair will achieve nothing but tangles. I tell them they must set it first, but almost always they ask if 'product' will make it work. It's a joke how people (some stylists included) think and believe that product takes the place of a set.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 2:36:00 PM
WORD!! britboy.

Product is not a weapon.

Remy Blue
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 8:21:00 PM
Roller setting the hair and/or hair additions are the best way to go! If these are not options use Sexy Hair Concepts new product 'What-a-Tease'; it's in their Big Sexy Hair line and described as "backcomb in a bottle". It worked so well on my client's hair weave that I'm scared to try it on someone's natural hair.