Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Tips for men's cuts
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:30:59 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Tips for men's cuts
Zoe

Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2004 6:11:00 PM
Thanks for everyones great advice as usual.

When you are doing scissor cuts for a man, what are your tips to making it an exceptional cut?

What will impress a man or woman? I would like mine to stand out. And again I know I should be patient that perfection comes in time. I am just interested in experienced professionals in this trade.

Zoe, 25 from Toronto Ontario, Canada

jessica

Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2004 7:02:00 PM
The little things are what will impress: make sure that when trimming a neck line, trim down to where the shirt stops, and below if its got a collar. Most men are embarressed of a hairy back, but it will make them happy if you shave down as far as possible whithout comment. Same goes with hair in other places...long brows, hair in nose or ears. Usually he will be glad not to have to do it. Another thing, maybe try doing a razor cut instead of a scissor cut. Lots of clients find the feeling of a razor cut very relaxing, and for certain haircuts, it looks very nice...especially if its a "crew" cut. Hope this is helpful...its nothing out of the ordinary, but its the small things we take for granted that has gotten me my best referrals! :)

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2004 8:48:00 PM
One of the best things I learned in hair school about men's cuts: "Trim the ear hair without comment"

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, July 26, 2004 8:25:00 PM
I add a little extra service to my mens cuts, by cutting their hair damp through the entire service, then I (or my assistant) shampoo, then do a scalp massage with a peppermint conditioner. Then I take them back to my station. I then use warm shaving cream and go over the neckline with a straight razor. I finish up with a quick massage with creative lotion. My guy clients LOVE the extra attention they recieve and it's obvious from my service sales, tips, and referrals.

Tien

Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 2005 9:17:05 PM
most them these days like a messy look from what I found out, only do it if they have a lot of hair, A LOT of texture to help the short hair push longer hair to stay up. Personally I got enough thick hair to cover 2 heads. Don't use thinning shears but wow them with expert thinning methods. using razors instead of edgers, using 2 scissors at once. etc there are a lot of things you can do to produce a show. but remember take your time and never rush a job. They are paying for a service, give them a good one.

I personally have a few shears from Vern, they're multi-locking shears, I can use 5 scissors at once on one hand. They're very good quality as well. You have to order these from Taiwan though. They have a good education on teaching people to use both handed simultaneous cutting. They offer the classes in english as well.

I'm not saying I use 5 at once, but clipping 2 together always wows them, I had few girls really staring at the scissors like they were goin crazy, and going WOW that's SO COOL!

Barbershop

Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 1:46:37 PM
If you cut the top front to back, check it side to side, making sure you get all the ridges out, thin it with a razor instead of thinning shears (thinning shears make short hairs that stand up underneath the longer hair).  Make sure it is blended well, not leaving any lines or dark spots, and as everyone else has said trim ear hair, eyebrows, mustache, etc.