Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > When not to use razor
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:30:58 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: When not to use razor
Anonymous

Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2004 9:19:00 PM
Can anyone tell me what type of hair should NOT be razor cut? What type benefits the most from being razor cut? Thanks

chadfromnc_2000
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2004 10:04:00 PM
Hey,
Im still a student and were told not to use the razor on Curly hair.... but like i said im still a student and thats the basics, Im sure their might be exceptions to the rule

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2004 11:00:00 PM
If the hair has a fuzzy texture, don't use the razor.

If the hair is curly (but not fuzzy) you can use a sharp blade and short strokes to cut.

Straight hair that is healthy and shinny does best when razor cutting.

Most modern styles are product dependent, so you can get away with a lot when using the razor.

Just remember, SHARP BLADES.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2004 11:00:00 PM
In general the razor tends to create confusion in curly hair by taking too much of the 'architecture' out of it, but a 'bluntish' razor cut might work well for that hair type. Frizzy hair generally will not benefit from a razor cut either.

sls
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 8:18:00 AM
I agree with britboy and Maven completely. Even on straight hair, although the initial razoring techniques are beautiful, they tend to need more upkeep trimwise then a blunter edge cut with scissors. Shorter razor strokes will look good for a longer period of time than the more fractured strokes.

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, June 07, 2004 11:23:00 AM
I have a short-hair client who looks terrific with a razor cut, but because it is so hard to just "trim" off a little each 5 weeks, we alternate. I notch cut one visit and razor the next. That way, she gets a slightly different look but she gets all the movement we are going for. And i get to clean up all the fuzzy ends regularly.

neets

Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 10:03:23 AM
I have had people request razor cuts when they have bleached the heck out of their hair at home and I didn't like the results (she seemed happy tho...Yikes!) So now if the same situation arises I talk them out of it.

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 10:11:33 AM
Talk them out of what?  Razor cuts work the best in bleached hair.  You don't get that chopped look.

neets

Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 5:48:13 PM
Sorry anony, I should have been more specific, I should have added the word severely damaged when I said, "bleached the heck out of it at home." It was some sad looking hair.

And when others walked in with the same amount of damage in their hair and wanted razor cuts I felt it was not the best course of action. If you were referring to razor cutting bleach damaged hair in your post, maybe my technique is wrong and there is a way to do it.

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 5:54:24 PM

with a fresh new blade, you shouldn't have any problems.  People who think that razoring the hair damages the hair are using bad blades.

HL

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, September 16, 2005 9:50:20 PM

Ms R
Bronze Member

Just My Opinion
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2005 9:21:07 AM
A new blade should be used for each cut. And if the hair is dry the razor can damage the ends causing a frizzy look.  Razor cuts should only be done on wet hair.

Liberty

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, September 19, 2005 9:58:08 AM
true THAT

astroaiko

For Ethnic Hair
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 1:30:59 AM
I like to use razor for cutting but never try Ethnic hair before. Any suggestion???

DE

astroaiko
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2006 8:50:17 AM

I think the razor works very well on ethnic hair expecially with relaxed hair to give it that textured look... But I always like to look at pictures that interests them and then decide whether the razor looks like it could be in use. Comparing with the picture and the clients hair is one thing to remember as well.