Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Cutting Curly Hair
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:30:58 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Cutting Curly Hair
Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 9:14:00 AM
How do most of you tackle curly hair? If it's long do you cut it dry & curly or do you flat iron it first? Will appreciate any feedback!

JD
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 10:19:00 AM
It all depends on how the client is going to wear their most of the time. I always ask if they want their hair or bangs cut to wear straight or to wear curly.
Cut curly hair dry and do not pull. Let it hangs loosely in your fingers without much tension.
If the client always wears it falt ironed then cut it that way. Howpe this helped.

Cheers

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 10:35:00 AM
I cut dry and curly, wet and curly, straightened...half an inch goes a long way. My bangs are cut between my lip and nose and raise up W/O blowdrying to my eyebrows. No curl, just alot of body.
For The most part I pull the layers out so they separate and judge from that. I have also taken a few hairs from a section and cut as is, before I comb it out. I guess it just depends on the curls and how she/he wears its.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 12:18:00 PM
The thing about cutting curly hair is that it will show any inconsistencies is weight distribution (which will appear as a lump). So if your going to cut it wet or dry doesn't matter as long as you get the weight of your layering or graduation to match the hairs curl. Which is why cutting curly hair is so difficult and usually gets better as you learn their hair.

I personally cut the hair dry, flat ironed straight, then shampoo and check the cut wet for weight distribution and modify as needed.

When you cut hair flat ironed and dry you are using maximum tension.

There are a lot of people that will disagree with me when it come to using tension when cutting curly hair, but I've found from my experience that cutting curly hair flat ironed (using maximum tension) will deliver a stronger shape and will leave fewer lumps in the end result than cutting curly hair curly and using little or no tension.

Anonymous

cutting dry hair
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 6:07:43 AM

when I cut dry i cant  see my guideline, does anyone have any suggestions?

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 8:59:29 AM
Take smaller sections.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 11:55:36 PM
Word..

Marjorie

cutting curly hair
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2006 10:33:49 PM
How to you thin big - I mean big bushy curly hair without ending in the christmas tree (triangle) look?  I cut my client's hair vertically to thin, but still end up big at the occipital.