Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Box Layers?
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:30:58 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Box Layers?
Its Me

Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 6:57:00 AM
What exactly defines box layers? I have been getting a few requests for this cut and I'm not familiar with the term. Anyone?

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 9:07:00 AM
"box" layering is where the top of the haircut is layered and the shape is flat, meaning if you were to turn the client upside down and let their hair hang straight down the silhouette of their hair would be a 'box'. This type of layering leaves a strong perimeter shape, and puts an even amount of layering through out the top of the head. It is very difficult to do well.

Its Me

Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 2:40:00 PM
Thanks so much. Would you recomend a certain way to go about doing this?

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 7:21:00 PM
First, square or 'box' layers don't work well on hair that is longer than the collar bone.

Second, take a center part that is about 1" thick from the front of the head to the nape of the neck (actually the occipital bone, if you layer all the way down to the nape you will cut into the perimeter shape). Hold this section straight up from the head and cut your guide length.

Next, take another 1" section on the right side of the original parting that is parallel to the original parting. Now hold these two sections together and pull towards the ceiling in the CENTER or these two sections, follow your original section guide and cut.

Now, take the first original section out of the section you just cut, take another 1" section on the right side of the second section (the section you just cut, not the original section) combine this new section with the previously cut section and pull towards the ceiling in the center of these two sections and following your guide, cut. You are working with the second section and the third section.

Remove the second section from the third section (which you just cut) and take the remaining hair on the right side and combine with the third section, pull towards the ceiling and in the center of the two sections (third and fourth) and cut following your guide (the third section).

You have finished one side of your layers, now go back and take your original section from the middle of the head and cut the left side the same way your cut the right.

This is the more difficult way to cut 'box' layers but it is technically the most perfect.

The easier way is to take your center section and cut your guide and then using that as your guide take vertical sections starting in the front and pull straight up towards the ceiling and cut straight across and continue taking parallel vertical sections back. You'll see a lot of barbers use this method when cutting short mens hair (but they wont bother taking a guide center section).

HairMaven.com

JD
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 8:22:00 AM
so what you just described is the effects of a long layer.

I can remember when i had this cut. I could tip my head upside down and all the ends were perfectly level. But I did wear my hair down past my shoulders. It depends on how long you keep the top first layer

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 8:09:48 PM

box layers...i think they look wonderful, but it all depends on how short/long your client likes their layers, you can do them on longer hair past the collar bone. i had my hair cut like that and my hair was half way down my back, it looked awesome.

joe10jo

a question for hairmaven...
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 3:03:18 PM
  Hairmaven, a question about box layers. I understand the concept but am wondering how I incorporate the back of the head into this. I realize you said to take a vertical part from the front to the occipital, but this seems like alot of hair to hold in my hand all at once. Do I work the front, then work the back? Thanks for taking the time to answer this for me!!

HairMaven
Gold Member

joe10jo
Posted: Sunday, December 19, 2004 11:54:36 PM
What I do is take small flat parts of the head as the size of the section that I'm going to cut, meaning that I don't hold the entire center section (front hairline to occipital bone) in my hand and cut, but rather take small sections starting in the front and working my way back.

You can either round the layers towards the back or keep them horizontal. The box layering shape will still be there width wise (looking at the face, front on)

Hope this helps. It's hard to describe something so visual with words, and my vocabulary isn't what it use to be.

MikeyD

Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2006 9:07:40 PM
Is the box layer cut pretty much the same as establishing a planar on the top and then bring the sides and back straight up to where the flat top is cut? (first quarter student by the way) Because we learned a "planar increased layer" cut that sounds like this box layer cut. After cutting it on my doll it looked like a mullet but despite the mullet look, I thought it looked pretty hot :P

cococolette

help!!!!!
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2007 1:49:54 AM

ok so this is sort of a later reply but this is what ended up happening to my doll and how we were just taught to do round layers...... but instead you t-part the hair and to the front right the front left and then bring it around to the backand you bring it all up straight like the wall and just match it up to your guide and it ending up looking slightly mullet esq....are these not round layers?

hues4you
Platinum Member

cococolette
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:41:50 AM

Dear cococolette

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Nice to have you with us.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

victoria r

victoria
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2008 12:02:02 PM
 this sounds just like the gypies cut.