Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Frizzie, dry hair blow out nightmares...
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:30:56 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Frizzie, dry hair blow out nightmares...
Anonymous

Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 4:30:00 PM
Ok, so I lack in skill when it comes to styling. Gimme a modern piecy, messy style and I can do it blind folded, but put a 35 - 40 year old woman in my chair who has dry, frizzie hair from blowing it straight all the time and I'm at a loss.

I really don't know what exactly I'm doing wrong. I use smoothing creams, shine sprays, straightening balms, big round brushes, small round brushes, nothing is working for me. There is frizz for miles.

The owner of my salon doesn't seem to want to take the time to help me with this little problem of mine so I'm forced to look elsewhere for inspiration. Any advice?

MsMia

Posted: Friday, April 16, 2004 6:48:00 PM
Look to the simple things.. The tools you use.
Use a nozzle on your blow dryer.. this directs the airflow to where you need it and as long as you keep the airflow going down.. with the cuticle you'll help eliminate frizz. Also use a natural boar bristle brush, not a nylon bristle. The natural boar bristle helps smootht the hair much better. Keep the heat high and the airflow low and this will help also.
Hope this gave you some ideas.

Its Me

Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 2:51:00 PM
Maybe you aren't using enough tension on the hair? Especially for client's with coarser or resistant hair, it's important for me to make sure I'm pulling the hair with enough tension (not to the point of where I'm hurting the client, of course). The nozzle is also very important, like above, and I need to keep the heat flow going in a downward direction. It just takes a lot of practice, as silly as it sounds to some people. I'm just now getting comfortable with my results.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 7:25:00 PM
Only 2 things style hair. Heat and Tension.

If the hair is not reacting the way you want you are lacking one or both of these. Products do not "style" hair, the only affect the texture of the hair.

If the hair is frizzy you need to use more tension, if the natural shape is taking over you need more heat.

JD
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2004 8:16:00 AM
Some types of hair no matter what you do is not going to be the smooth frizz free look.

Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 3:32:00 AM
Actually I disagree with the statment that heat and tension are the only 2 things that style hair. Hair can be styled without tension (pulling on the hair) by combing into finger waves and air drying or under a dryer with air flow only,(no heat), or pincurled or using other various methods. There hasn't always been hairdryers!As far as blowing out over dryed hair that frizzes ,first wash and use a good conditioner appropriate to the hair texture.
gently towel blot to remove the excess H2O. I like to start at the nape and I section off the hair I'm not working on.(Just clip it out of the way, but in a neat manner.) Then appling even tension, pull the hair through the brush keeping the air flow following the cuticle direction.Work your way the hair as this will burn the way through the back and proceed to the front top and side following the style lines.If the hair is drying just spritz it with water. When finished you can add a finishing product to help smooth the surface if needed.Also it is important not to over dry the hair as it creates static and causes any damaged ends to "lift" also taking away from the smooth look. Depending on the desired look, you can "dry set" using velcro rollers after the hair is almost dry (just SLIGHTLY damp) and pop them under a cool dryer for a short time. This will also help with the finished look.Hope this helps!Oh!It takes time to perfect any craft so practice on anyone you can!

Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 3:37:00 AM
Whoops , typo in that post.It should read work your way through the back.Don't place the dryer nozzle on or too close to the hair as this will burn the hair.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, April 22, 2004 9:22:00 PM
When you COMB the hair into finger waves you are putting tension on the hair to style it. When you put hair around a roller you are using tension.

I did not state that you have to use both heat AND tension to style hair. I stated that they are the 2 things that style hair.

The context of the conversation is blowing dry hair. Not wet setting or air drying (which isn't 'styling' hair).

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 3:11:00 AM
What the heck do you call it then?

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, April 23, 2004 9:12:00 PM
AIR DRYING.

"Styling" consists of actually doing something to the hair.