Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Long shears vs shorter shears, what is the difference
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:30:56 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Long shears vs shorter shears, what is the difference
Ainsley

Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 4:55:00 PM
Not sure which is better.

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 8:13:00 PM
Which ever one works better for you. I don't like longer ones. haven't learned how to not cut my finger yet. *^) Mine are 5....I believe hummmm I'll have to look now

JD
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2004 2:48:00 PM
Longer shears work best for point cutting deep into the hair to texturize. Just make sure you use your comb as your holding device instead of your fingers.

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 8:54:00 PM
So what do you think of Ms. Sally charging 600. a snip? Wow. Hey, Im jealous! I should do that to my clients just to see their face after one of my fabulous haircuts!

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, March 18, 2004 7:58:00 PM
Long scissors are used for comb-over scissor cutting in particular. It's almost impossible not to create vertical steps when trying to accomplish this with short scissors, because your hand is in the way, and you are obliged to cut only small 'panels' especially in the back of the head.
Short scissors became popular in the 1960's when Sassoon began to do 'precision' cuts, mostly one length with little layering, and they became a trend. Unfortunately, like many Sassoon trends, they have long passed their 'sell-by' date, yet many dogmatic stylists won't change to reflect the changing tide of style. The longer scissor is used by all barbers, who also stand behind their chairs differently than Cosmetologists and work at arm's length rather than close-up like Cosmetologists. Try a barber chair sometime and you'll see that it's impossible to get so close as with a styling chair, it's just too bulky.
Isn't if fascinating that although the razor has been the most popular cutting tool for at least the past 4 years or so and every magazine both consumer and professional is full of razor cuts, that poor old Sassoon has yet to be heard from on the razor? The reason is that they did such a job of putting down the razor in the past 40 years, that they have no way to embrace it today, which is one more reason that their work is so moribund. It's just stuck in an old-fashioned technique, and can't get out of it's own way to change. What a shame. Probably best that it's now part of the Regis (Supercuts) family?

Alice

Posted: Friday, March 19, 2004 3:24:00 AM
I just pulled out the shears that belonged to my Grandmother. She was a stylist in the late 20's.I used them yesterday and they are still razor sharp. I like the longer shears for over comb cutting. I'm feeling a bit nostalgic over this and lucky since I won't have to purchase new ones.

maggiemypet
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, March 19, 2004 10:59:00 AM
I bought a pair of 7 1/2" sissors the other day. I've done two cuts with them...amazingly haven't lopped off a finger or ear yet. its kinda scary. i used itty bitty shears up til the other day, so its a change. It is kind of awkard to know when to use them and when not too...

Britboy~ you should write a "theory of the hair industry world as seen throught the eyes of Britboy" that would be such a fun read. :)

Cheryl

Posted: Friday, March 19, 2004 7:43:00 PM
I use the shorter shears because they are lighter and I only use 1/2' to 1" of the shear. any more then that and its a waste of metal to me.
Usually we cut ourselves because we are opening our shears wider then we need to and our fingers get in the way. Also to avoid cutting ourselves when point cutting, close the shear on the way out instead of on the way in.
I learned alot by working for Supercuts and the Regis Corporation you cant beat the education in my opinion. Along with the in store training and educaters that come to the stores they have sent me on trips for education also. And the Vidal Sasson Academy is still one of the best in the country even if it is ions old it is up to date in the education department. Check out the website www.vidalsasson.com

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 12:12:00 AM
Maggie, my book will be coming out in the next year or so.
Cheryl, using 'only 1/2 to 1" of the blade is exactly what creates steps in a scissor-over-comb cut, and why Cosmetologists are afraid of doing them. As to it being a 'waste of metal', I can't really understand what that could mean, it's not logical at all. As to the 'weight' of longer scissors, well, that's exactly the point, it's the weight that create the cutting 'dynamic' necessary for comb-over-scissor cuts. Remember that it's a Barber technique, adopted by Cosmetologists, so go and watch a Barber do some cuts and you'll never even see a short pair of scissors in the shop, but you'll see why long scissors work so well...It sounds to me as though you learned something and then closed your mind to everything else regarding cutting...especially as you (mistakenly in my opinion) believe that Sassoon's are 'up to date'...If that were true then why don't they use the razor in any cuts? That's the most up to date tool today...

maggiemypet
Silver Member

Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 12:54:00 PM
LOL! britboy, didn't actually KNOW you were writing a book :) send me a copy when it comes out. Autographed and everything :p

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 7:37:00 PM
I'd buy Brit's book.

Russell