Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Clipper over comb/scissor over comb
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:30:55 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Clipper over comb/scissor over comb
Ainsley

Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 4:49:00 PM
What way is better, how do you blend into nice haircut. I am finding mens haircuts so hard. I feel like I am never going to learn it. I am going to be done school soon, I am so nervous.
Ainsley

statikman
Silver Member

Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 6:56:00 PM
I personally scissor over comb. Clients see more of an art to it, and I feel it separates us from barbers.
Today, I had the worst scissor over comb accident since hairdressing school- I thinned my clients ear, right through. It's bad enough to cut someone but with thinning shears...gross. I keep getting the shivers thinking about it. He was cool though, long-term client and a doctor so he's not grossed out when his ear canal literally filled with blood.
My policy is if they bleed, it's on me, but today I also threw in a free gel.

JD
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 7:06:00 PM
scissor over comb and when doing this keep moving the comb upward, cutting at the same time; Stop and look to see if you got the line out and then carry on to the next area. You will be slow and jerky the first few times you do this but with time you wil be flying thru it without a thought.

JD
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 7:08:00 PM
OMG Statikman. That gave me a quesy feeling in my stomach. UGH! Ears can bleed so awful. I would thrown in the next haircut for free also.

mc
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, March 13, 2004 8:10:00 PM
I do with scissor and comb or some and clipper and comb on others. Depends on the hair and what kind of mood that I'm in. I was taught by a barber so niether one is different for me. clippers are faster...for me anyways. I've given lots of people a whole new respect for clippers too. Most people start freakin out when I put taper and clippers in the same sentence. (they think GI Joe flattops) That sometimes starts the conversation of "I was taught that I can do any haircut at any length with my clippers". Time, time, time. And believe me....you'll be doing alot more clipper cuts when you get in the salon. The more that you do, the more comfortable that you'll be doing them.

maggiemypet
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, March 19, 2004 11:10:00 AM
So, when you do sissor over comb, say the guy's hair is say, 4 inches long, he wants a very clean look. Say, he wants his hair to be a Number 2 length. If you do sissor over comb...do you not take out the bulk with clippers, or do you just go to town. That just scares me i guess. I really want to be good at the sissor over comb method b/c it seems so much more professional. im just so •••• akward ><

anyhoo.
<3

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, March 19, 2004 6:22:00 PM
Here is the trick girl friend, first you need to start at the base of the nape with your trimmers and start like a mohawk. Then you have a wonderful reference point for the remainder of the cut. Now the scissors over comb, you only have to continue around the head and finish up any gaps, crevices or bald areas. This first few times I tried this I really made some bald spots but with a few of those ugly doll heads you can get used to it. Good Luck. PS Be sure your scissors are really sharp, you need precise and accurate cutting utinsels for this application. Be sure to tip your waitress!!

vallygrl
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, March 19, 2004 7:41:00 PM
maggie-i am no means an expert at mens cuts (yet) but i would take the bulk out with your clippers, then go in with the scissor over comb. I agree that it looks so much more professional. I was watching an english video, and the lady was incredible, she did the entire cut scissors over comb and it looked as neat as if she clippered it. Very precise. It must have took her forever though. I don't think i'm that patient. :)
Statikman-oh my gosh how embarrassing. My manager in the salon i was working at actually recently fired me for just nicking someones ear. So i'm glad to hear your story, because now i have proof that she overreacted!
God bless

maggiemypet
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, March 19, 2004 8:56:00 PM
o no vallygrl :( thats awful. I have nicked one person one time. It was a teenaged girl. She was really cool about it, i felt awful of course :( I can't believe you got fired :(

brotboy

Posted: Friday, March 19, 2004 11:52:00 PM
The secret to scissor-over-comb cutting is simply to constantly OVER-DIRECT the section upward with the comb so that your cut happens above the growth area of the hair being cut and to keep it moving upward. That way you'll never get steps.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, March 19, 2004 11:59:00 PM
Ainsley, please don't expect to know much about doing hair while you are in school, very little but some basics are learned there, it's repeated practice on head after head once you get into a salon that will be your real education. A Cosmetology license is simply a license to begin learning, not the learning itself...
My advice to you is to graduate and then work at a quick-service chain like Supercuts or QuickCuts or a franchise in your area that is low-priced and consequently busy with walk-in clients for you to practice on. In a few months there you'll be able to do a quick men's cut with ease, then you can move on to a better quality salon if you want to. Good luck!

vallygrl
Silver Member

Posted: Saturday, March 20, 2004 4:48:00 AM
maggie-i'm glad someone agrees with me :) Yeah my manager and i did not get along too well. I do get along with most people to, so even though i take responsibility for my shortcomings, i feel that i was fired for a silly reason. Yeah i love working on teenagers, they are much more cool about stuff, most people are cool about that stuff.
God bless

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, March 22, 2004 12:41:00 AM
Another reason to consider trying long shears is that the more times you go over the same surface, it both spoils the original design and adds more nicks...

sizz
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 4:01:00 AM
I agree with Britboy here, long shears are a must for scissor over comb. The shorter shears just get in the way as opposed to making things easier.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 10:32:00 PM
It's the 20th Century cutting brainwashing that's holding Cosmetologists back on this technique...

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 10:35:00 PM
Statik, How can scissor-over-comb cutting possibly 'separate us from barbers' when it's a barber technique that we have co-opted?

statikman
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 6:37:00 AM
Good point. It seperates us from haircutters who do a number 2 on the side and a 3 on the top.
I'd guess that every single technique on short hair was done first by a barber.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, March 29, 2004 1:59:00 PM
Thanks for the clarification there champ!

Alice

Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 5:38:00 AM
Where do you think stylists did there training before there were salons and beauty schools. In a Barber shop. My grandmother learned to do hair in a barber shop.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 10:07:00 AM
And I'm sure she looked just great in her pompadour...

Alice

Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 3:41:00 PM
She had a great shingle with finger wave accents around her face, thank you very much...Era,1920's

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2004 9:37:00 PM
Bless her little barbershop heart!

sheesh

Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 9:29:00 AM
Britboy, your disrespectful sarcasm is completely out of line, here. Don't you have a grandmother? How would you like it if someone spoke mockingly of her???? What a piece of crap you are sometimes.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 9:53:00 AM
Last time I checked, blessing someone wasn't disrespectful...lighten up...
Please don't use foul language, it's a sure sign that your vocabulary is deficient...

Alice

Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 3:30:00 AM
Well, actually I took it as a compliment! Britboy got my drift.

SheeshOnMe

Posted: Friday, April 02, 2004 5:25:00 AM
Oh? Wow.... well, I totally missed that one. Its a sure symptom of the limitations of text... I guess I jumped the gun. Sorry Britboy and Alice! Shoulda just minded my own business, I guess! God bless

Yriana

clippers are better
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 7:58:41 PM

This post was removed. Please do not refer to another fourm.

Elizabeth

elizabethb@behindthechair.com

keerawrr

both!
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 9:38:55 AM
i like to use the scissors over comb first , blend the line mostly and when you can still see it ill take the clippers with a 1 blade and hold it diagonally so the shortest peice from the clipper is not visable then go in upward diagonal motions.