Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Up-do fears
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:30:55 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Up-do fears
color u 2
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 9:00:00 PM
I really have a fear of up-dos. Is this normal, or have most of you experienced this when you first started out? A cut/color client of mine recently asked for an up-do appt. I booked it, but am seriously thinking of giving the appt. to another stylist who is great w/ up-dos. I have tried doing them a few times, with so-so results. I have purchased Martin Parsens tapes and Cameron's books, and have practiced, but just can't grasp it. Sometimes I think my problem is that I have too many ideas and then can't decide on just one and get overwhelmed.
Any ideas or comments? Would it be unprofessional to just not offer up-do's? Can I be successful without doing them?

Alice

Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 2:49:00 AM
I have a staff of stylist who do updos and dressed hair and I have others who will not. It's a different type of styling and some are just not up to the challenge and I do understand. I do a class on the preparation and the styling techniques myself but that is a big portion of my clientele. Maybe if you could just master a couple simple techniques just so you will be able to provide this service for your request clients on their special day it would be nice though.

sizz
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 4:31:00 AM
I just may not be one of your areas to soar Color u 2. Not all of us are good at everything. No worries if you don't get it.

TWStylist

Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 5:10:00 AM
Hi there --

I used to have a huge fear of updo's until I finally set my mind to it and jumped into them head first. I cornered a couple of my coworkers one night and sat one down in my chair (one with long hair) and I told her to tell her everything she knows about doing updos and we just sat and chatted for like, an hour, and the whole time, I practiced on her hair, and she critiqued me. I started out with simple things like just a ponytail with all the ponied hair just arranged in loops with bobby pins, and from there I have added on different touches here and there. I don't pre-set hair, either. I start with hair in its natural state and take some wax or slickworks and just kinda work with the hairs natural tendencies. Its better then having a huge headful of crazy curls to deal with. I don't do anything majorly trendy, but I can twist and do a knot here and there if I have to. Practice practice practice. Once you start doing them, you might get hooked.

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 5:41:00 AM
I do the same thing that twstylist does.

I just work with the hair as is and curl where I need it as I go. I find that pre-setting the hair makes it too soft & floppy.

using strong hairpins helps a tremendous amount. most hairpins are too fine to be really effective & they fall out. I highly recommend marianna hairpins. they're thicker and hold really well. you can find them at: marlobeauty.com or nailco.com

I also work with a dry strong hold spray like vavoom. don't work with a wet spray- it's annoyingly inneffective and makes the up-do too time consuming.

when curling with the iron I always put a thermal defense spray before ironing. this sets the curl and then spray it with hairspray after it cools. if it needs to be loosened an application of a hair wax will help a lot.

put it up in pieces, don't try to create the whole look in one shot.
think of it as building a hairstyle.
I also don't tease the whole head, I tease as needed as I go.

when doing the barrel look- I don't even use an iron. I wrap the hair around my finger to the desired size and bobby pin it down & hair pin it in.

don't be afraid to use a lot of bobby & hairpins. some of my clients pull out 60 or more pins providing the amount of hair they have. most of my prom girls wear the up-do the whole next day as well. you want them to get their money's worth out of your style. one of them played volley ball the next day & she said it didn't move! I am proud of that one!

be creative with beads and hair placement, you can hide the flaws if any, this way.

use your co-workers for practice and don't forget teen clients. they love that kind of attention & knowing their helping you boosts them plus they get a do for free, very exciting.

study the looks in the books and try to determine how they were achieved. this will help in visualization of your creative do.

I hope this helps- good luck & have fun!

color u 2
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 6:38:00 AM
Thanks so much for all of your words of advice and encouragement. This is a great board!
And I do believe, Twstylist, that once I start doing them, I'll get hooked. I hope so.

Another question: What was your worst up-do experience? Have you ever had a client cry or scream after you were finished w/ the up-do?

TWStylist

Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 4:52:00 PM
Yes - I had a 12 year old cry after I was done with her hair for her birthday party. I did her whole head of shoulder length hair in spiral ringlets, and she evidently didn't want to look like Shirley temple. Other than that, I've never had anyone flip about their hair. Brides are the ones you have to worry about. They can get picky and unreasonable, so don't take it personally.

sizz
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 5:36:00 PM
I posted this earlier, but it doesn't look like it posted.
Get yourelf a maniquen head or a patient friend with long hair and sit in front of a Martin Parsons video and just follow along with what he does. He really simplifies it.
Don't worry, it's just an up-do nothing permenant.

topele

Posted: Thursday, April 29, 2004 5:58:00 AM
Would the parsons video techniques work with ethinic hair usually hair extenions are added for our ponytails and updos lenght?