Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Mullet tips and definition of
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:30:54 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Mullet tips and definition of
Anonymous

Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 4:57:00 AM
There has been a lot of talk about Mullets lately, can someone define them? I cut a mans hair yesterday who said he wanted to start growing some length but keep it off th ears. When his hair was finished, he said to me "I don't have a mullet, do I??" Isn't that basically a mullet? Long in the back, short on the sides? What constitutes a mullet? And, any tips for blending the sides seamlessly into the length in the back? Thanks!

vallygrl
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 5:30:00 AM
A mullett is short on the sides and top, and longer in the back. Their are different variations, if you have longish piecy bangs with them then it would be more of a punk style. For example in the most technical way David Bowie had a mullett, even though it hurts to type those very words. The mullett that most people are familliar with and that they actually make wigs for halloween is the Billy Ray cyrus mullett. Which is pretty short on the sides and top, no bangs and long in the back. I know a lot of people who get the mullett because they don't want to do a lot with their hair, but they want the length. It basically is two haircuts in one. You talk about blending seamlessly, this lady who told me she wanted to keep her length in the back, had her hair almost clippercut at the top and sides, and the back near her name was long. It put me in mind of a really long rattail. It's hideous what some people will do to their hair. I hope this helps.
God bless

vallygrl
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 5:31:00 AM
nape sorry.

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 8:01:00 AM
I love "the mullet"..

I tell you, IF I had hair......

I'd have a RIGHTEOUS mullet!!!

Dare I dream such a sweet dream?

Russell

PS- business in the front, PARTY in the rear!!!

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 12:34:00 AM
I listed a number of Mullet wearers earlier, but...Mick Jagger, Rod Stewart, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, and hairstylist John Sahag among the older guys, and many of the younger bands also wear them. Just look to the youngsters to see what's coming, don't listen to some oldsters who are tainted by the past and can't allow themselves to face the future.

Just remember that 10 years ago those same people said that Rap and Hip Hop wasn't music and that it was just a lot of noise made by chumps who dressed funny, and it wouldn't amount to anything...

Well it's replaced rock as the music of choice around the world, just check out the hit charts and see, and the clothing has become a billion dollar a year industry. Where is the Rock clothing look today?

Someday they will talk about the Bob the way they talk about the Mullet today, but open your mind and look carefully at your client in the chair and ask yourself if a cut that's shorter on top, piecy around the face and has (varying) length in back couldn't be flattering to the face, which is what it's all about...

As to the guy who asked for a style and when he got it couldn't get past the 'name' to look and see whether or not it actually looked good, he needed a good slap. I find that often helps focus a client's mind...

It's not about putting a style down out-of-hand because it represents something from the past that has bad memories for you, (unless it's the Bob of course), ha ha ha...

vallygrl
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 5:17:00 AM
britboy-my point exactly. So break out the shears and give someone some great mulletts and bobs.
God bless

AAM

Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 5:18:00 AM
I think most posters here actually think of the "Billy Ray Whatshisname Mullet" as opposed to the classic icons of rock that Britboy has mentioned.Am I wrong for thinking of Mick Jagger and company as having had sort of Shags ?

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 8:25:00 AM
well I think people's distaste with the mullet lies in the length of the back.
if it's too long in the back to carry layers, they look off balanced. like they can't make up their mind how their hair should be.
a mullet like mick jagger's is short enough to easily carry off layers that support the body in the hair. it looks symetrical and flattering.
and if a mullet is too long the only thing you can really do with it is put it in a ponytail in keeping with the neat appearance of the front.
my ex boyfriend had a serious mullet. before he cut his hair that way he looked a lot like mickey dolenz. so picture mickey dolenz with billy ray cyrus's hair & you get my ex-boyfriend!

MsMia

Posted: Monday, February 02, 2004 12:06:00 PM
David Bowie!!!~swoon~ Was one of the first to wear the mullet. He brought a picture of two different haircuts to his personal stylist and viola... The Mullet. ok so it is very 80's, but a lot of what you see today are reincarnations of the 80's.... Hair as well as fashion. Heck.. I've even seen the "Member's Only" jackets in some pictures from magazines!! hehehe..

roland_marx85

Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 9:54:03 AM
Was Tina Turner's hair back in the 80s a mullet? It was short on the top and on the sides but she had more of a spiked, punky thing going on. Just wondering.

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 5:04:38 PM

Didn't david bowie have the mullet in the 70's??(ground patrol to major tom........) I remember him in the 80's with short hair and pastel big shouldered suits. (I know I'm responding to a 2004 post.....)

Roland, I think Tina Turners hair was a shag, and it always was a shag in the late 70's and all through the 80's. (I don't know if you are confusing her with one of the dancers in Pat Benatars distasterous Love is a Battlefield video...lol) But also: tina has always worn a wig since the late 60's or early 70's. She burned her hair with bleach right before a show or something and has worn wigs or weaves ever since. I do remember in her what's love got to do with it video that she had one side clipped up....or was that private dancer? (that song still makes me giggle when I heard it recently.)

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 10:39:18 PM

tina has always worn a wig since the late 60's or early 70's. She burned her hair with bleach right before a show or something and has worn wigs or weaves ever since.

Oh, grow up, please...Surely you didn't fall for that one?

If she had 'burned her hair' in 1975, or even 1985, or even in 1995, wouldn't it have grown out by now? The reason she wears wigs is because they look better than her own hair, it's that simple...

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 3:48:58 AM

hee hee hee. brit how did you get what you wrote from what I wrote? talk about reading things into things.....

She wrote about the bleach/wig thing in her book I Tina.

I don't think that her hair didn't grow back, and I never said that I did think or feel that. I'm just relating why she said she wears wigs. I just know that she tried to bleach it herself and freaked out over what she did and how bad it looked. And she had a show to do...... luckily one of the Ikettes had a wig.....and there we go....wig/weave city forever!

If bleach was that dangerous do you think that the govt. would allow us to put it on people?

Nic
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 2:15:03 PM

"If bleach was that dangerous do you think that the govt. would allow us to put it on people?"

If they could make a profit? Absolutely.

"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."
Winston Churchill

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 3:08:44 PM
another good point from Nic.  you are right....ok so scratch what I said! lol

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 5:44:22 PM

I don't think that her hair didn't grow back, and I never said that I did think or feel that. I'm just relating why she said she wears wigs. I just know that she tried to bleach it herself and freaked out over what she did and how bad it looked. And she had a show to do...... luckily one of the Ikettes had a wig.....and there we go....wig/weave city forever!

But that was 35 years ago, so that can't be why she wears a wig can it? No, she wears one because it looks better than her own hair, the story about the bleach is a justification. Historically she was rather politically incorrect, wearing a wig during the period when other 'sisters' and 'brothers' were proudly displaying their Afro's, so she made up a story as a cover. Personally I have always loved the wigs she wears, they shake-it while she shakes it.

If bleach was that dangerous do you think that the govt. would allow us to put it on people?

They allow us to but guns don't they?

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 5:51:44 AM

ok I get what your saying now.

Tina was ahead of her time and she's still beautiful today, I think.

Nic
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 6:36:22 AM
But guns?

"The truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is."
Winston Churchill

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 8:12:18 AM

I'M not gonna correct him.......hee hee hee. I'm too afraid.

Nic
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 2:39:22 PM
I wasn't attempting to correct anyone. I just wondered what it meant.

Winston Churchill

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 7:18:34 PM
Nic please, you'll notice that the Y and the T keys are next to each other on the keyboard, obviously it was a typo and was meant to read: buy guns. There now...really, it wasn't that hard to figure out was it?

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 8:15:49 PM
I think she was teasing you Brit- cause you always notice peoples spelling and grammar, when sometimes the mistakes one makes, are due to typos.  Just so you know though, there is a spell check now on the message board.

mina2
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 8:34:11 PM
I never even got it.. till just now.. wow I am slooooooow

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 5:33:30 AM
how can an inanimate object be dangerous (in most cases) it takes a catalyst (such as a human) to make it dangerous.  improper usage is the problem whether it be uneducated, accidental or mental difficient.

roland_marx85

Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 2:29:14 PM
LOL Yes britboy, I know Tina's "hair" is a weave. No one answered my question though.

-Robbie

Nic
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 2:45:26 PM

Thank you for clearing that up. My keyboard is obviously different than yours because the t and y are not even remotely close to one another.

My y is on the bottom left row and my t is on the top left to center row. Surely a well traveled person such as yourself realizes not every keyboard is built the same? And with the frequent remarks made by you about proper spelling and grammar, I thought it odd that you would allow yourself to fall under scrutiny. Hence my confusion. Now really, that wasn't too hard to figure out, was it? In the future, it might be wise to refrain from a haughty reply without first knowing facts.

M2, I fail to see your logic. Guns are manufactured for the sole purpose of human use. Honestly now, what other use could they possibly have? Paperweight? Art? The Government approves them because of the lucrative profit they bring to coffers. Proper use or not, that fact remains.

Your analogy is much like saying that drugs such as oxycontin are not dangerous unless used improperly. To that end, there are countless inanimate objects that, left alone, pose no threat to human welfare. Regardless of whether they're used properly or not, they still pose a threat if used for what they were intended for.  

Further, bleach is not dangerous unless mixed with a chemical that contradicts its integrity or otherwise used improperly. The Government knows this but approves it anyway, just as they approve guns and tobacco and every other toxic or harmful substance known to mankind, that, left alone, poses no human threat. Again, why? Profit.

Winston Churchill

mina2
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 4:22:22 PM

What?  What kind of keyboard do you have???? 

Are you using a pda?

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 6:11:32 PM

Thank you for clearing that up. My keyboard is obviously different than yours because the t and y are not even remotely close to one another.

My y is on the bottom left row and my t is on the top left to center row. Surely a well traveled person such as yourself realizes not every keyboard is built the same?

I've really never heard of this difference in key placement, how would anyone learn to type if the keys are in diffent places on different keyboards. Do others share this difference in key placement? I've only ever seen it done one way...

And with the frequent remarks made by you about proper spelling and grammar, I thought it odd that you would allow yourself to fall under scrutiny. Hence my confusion. Now really, that wasn't too hard to figure out, was it? In the future, it might be wise to refrain from a haughty reply without first knowing facts.

I'm interested to hear from others regarding these facts actually, let's see how many others share your key configuration before we decide who's haughty, which by the way, isn't a sin.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 6:12:52 PM

Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 8:15:49 PM

I think she was teasing you Brit- cause you always notice peoples spelling and grammar, when sometimes the mistakes one makes, are due to typos.  Just so you know though, there is a spell check now on the message board.

I do spell-check Vally, but both 'but' and 'guns' are proper words which wouldn't be found as errors.

pinkparagon
Bronze Member

qwerty keyboard
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 10:46:04 PM
A standard keyboard is called "qwerty" for the placement of letter keys on the top row, and yes, the "t" and "y" are adjacent to each other.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 11:35:54 PM
That's the way I learned it too, does anyone have a different keyboard pattern like Nic does?

Nic
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 4:40:25 AM

"I've really never heard of this difference in key placement, how would anyone learn to type if the keys are in diffent places on different keyboards. Do others share this difference in key placement?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#Germany_and_Austria_.28but_not_Switzerland.29

Copy that link to your address bar and learn a lesson today. You're going to have to pay close attention to what you're looking at. The page doesn't provide spellcheck.

"I'm interested to hear from others regarding these facts actually"

I have already explained the facts to you. Are you having trouble comprehending?

"let's see how many others share your key configuration before we decide who's haughty, which by the way, isn't a sin."

"We" do not need to "decide" who's haughty. I made a correct judgment call that your reply to me was haughty. I don't need a consensus from others for validation of my assertion. Keep in mind, your reply wasn't directed at "others".  Incidentally, it's also not a crime or a sin to admit to being, on occasion, fallible. 

Now, would you like some milk to wash down your crow pie?

This concludes our lesson for today. I trust we can get back to the topic at hand now.

Winston Churchill

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 6:09:36 AM
Nic- In all fairness you were the one who was haughty at first, saying but???  I mean in all fairness you can't tell me you did not know what he meant.  True Brit does correct peoples grammar, and we often react the same way he does.  So now you know what it's like I guess Brit, when you do that to us?  But I think you were being haughty first.

note- I'm not talking about when you correct obviously bad grammar, but there are times, that someone really does make a simple mistake and you correct it, and it's kind of like sheesh.

Glad you found the spell check, I was not being arrogant, I just found it last week, and I'm really stuck on it, I've been telling everyone to use it.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 6:16:18 AM
guns- I know the last thing we want to do is probaly get into a discussion about gun control, but since I cannot resist I will put my two cents in and then shut-up.  I feel that guns are dangerous, and I have to say that I have honestly never heard of them actually helping the situation.  Meaning I have never heard about guns saving a persons life, I always hear, the kids accidentally got ahold of it, or the person who was attacking got ahold of it, and shot the gun owner.  I must say though that I feel that at least in the States it is our right to own guns.  I also hesitate to legislate that we don't have them due to the fact, that criminals will always get ahold of illegal guns-ie- gangs in LA are more armed than the Police Department.  So therefore, IMO, if law abiding citizens cannot have guns, yet the un law abiding citizens keep getting them illegally, than we are left unarmed.  Just my oppinion though. 

Back to the subject at hand, my boss actually wanted me to get my hair done like Tina Turner.  She told me that Tina looked really gorgeous for a woman in her sixties.  I replyed that's nice but I'm in my early twenties.

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 6:59:22 AM
roland, i answered your question. tina's hair in the 80's wasn't a mullet it was a shag.

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 7:03:49 AM

I guess we all learned something about keyboards and I thought all we needed to know was that american appliances won't fit the plugs in other countries. Better pack our keyboards too! lol

mina2
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 7:32:16 AM
That was my second guess- that the keyboard was not for English...  I'd like to see one of those arabic ones or greek ones.. eeeeeeeeeeegads!

Nic
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 7:46:24 AM

No, Vallygrrl, in all fairness I wasn't. Please don't presume to know what I am thinking or what you "think" I know.

Further, I did not place extra questions marks at the end of my question, which clearly indicates I was not taunting anyone, nor did I ask you for your personal assessment of the matter.

If you read my response to Mina2, you'll see my second post, stating clearly that I wasn't attempting to "correct" anyone and that I wondered what it meant.

Some of you people would do well to expand your minds and knowledge instead of jumping in with derisive remarks on what you proclaim to know as fact when, truth be told, you have no clue what you're bombinating about.

There are people all over the world communicating via internet. It's astonishing that some of you don't stop to think that America isn't the only country on the planet.

Winston Churchill

mina2
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 10:04:20 AM

I know I totally didn't get it!

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 10:15:42 AM
I want to sincerely apologize to you for assuming that you had knowledge that you apparently do not possess.  To me a second grader could figure out "they allow us to but guns."  Well hmm, lets figure this out.  would you but a gun, perhaps but I think that you would be more likely to purchase a gun.  Now what is another word for purchase, hmm lets see, buy.  Oh yeah, you could buy a gun.  People type rather quickly so therefore, that's what I or anyone with comprehensive reading skills would come to the conclusion of I thought.  Do accept my apology.

hues4you
Platinum Member

topic at hand in parts
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 6:20:34 PM

Ok I would like to address a few things:

This topic is way out of hand, so I am going to step in.  It started out as a topic about mullets.  Now we are talking about keyboards, spelling and guns.  So I have the following to say:

Nic:  I have read the posts.  You have done nothing wrong.  I was not aware of other keyboards out there.  Please keep posting as you are and keep up the good work.  You have no reason to defend yourself.

Britboy and others:  This is not a spelling bee.  This is a Hair/Salon/Business forum.  Think about it.  Look how many posts have drifted off topic.  Get over it.  This is getting old.  If you are concerned about your spelling just hit ABC at the top of your post it will spell check for you.    And if you make a spelling mistake, Britboy - give them a break, please!  Doesn't mean they are not good at what they do - just means you have an issue with it.  This is not an English forum.

Valley - I am not going to put up with slang and the talk of guns on these boards.  Nor will I have condenscending talk towards me in your posts.  You are being warned online at this moment.  If you keep this up, you will be banned.  If you have a problem with what I am talking about email me at hues4you@midsouth.rr.com.  I am sure you understand, because I don't think you go in and talk this way to your clients or your boss and you are not going to do it to me or on these boards.

At this point I hope we can move on to something of interest and educational to all.  Thank you,

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

mina2
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 6:21:44 PM
geez I took Vally's post as a joke.  I don't think anyone is getting as serious as you.

hues4you
Platinum Member

mina and valley
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 7:09:01 PM

Dear mina and valley-

mina, please let valley speak for herself and valley let mina speak for herself and valley let nic speak for himself and I think we will all be fine.  No sense her in trying to read each others minds.  I have scene this many times when this has not worked.  Thank you.  And please let me do my job while you are at it. 

mina2
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 7:11:46 PM

Ok.. I'll reiterate

Val- that WAS  a joke, WASN'T it?

p.s. I don't mind if Val  speaks for me.  She knows me very well.

vallygrrl
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 9:34:02 PM
I did send you an email.  I myself do not mind if Mina2 speaks for me, as she knows me pretty well.  I am sorry if my post on guns was inappropriate.  I did not honestly think it would be.
Britboy posted this-
They allow us to but guns don't they?
In reply M2 posted this-
how can an inanimate object be dangerous (in most cases) it takes a catalyst (such as a human) to make it dangerous.  improper usage is the problem whether it be uneducated, accidental or mental difficient.
In reply Nic posted this-

M2, I fail to see your logic. Guns are manufactured for the sole purpose of human use. Honestly now, what other use could they possibly have? Paperweight? Art? The Government approves them because of the lucrative profit they bring to coffers. Proper use or not, that fact remains.

Your analogy is much like saying that drugs such as oxycontin are not dangerous unless used improperly. To that end, there are countless inanimate objects that, left alone, pose no threat to human welfare. Regardless of whether they're used properly or not, they still pose a threat if used for what they were intended for.  

Further, bleach is not dangerous unless mixed with a chemical that contradicts its integrity or otherwise used improperly. The Government knows this but approves it anyway, just as they approve guns and tobacco and every other toxic or harmful substance known to mankind, that, left alone, poses no human threat. Again, why? Profit.

and I posted my reply.  Yet you did not mention guns to Britboy in your reply to him you posted-

Britboy and others:  This is not a spelling bee.  This is a Hair/Salon/Business forum.  Think about it.  Look how many posts have drifted off topic.  Get over it.  This is getting old.  If you are concerned about your spelling just hit ABC at the top of your post it will spell check for you.    And if you make a spelling mistake, Britboy - give them a break, please!  Doesn't mean they are not good at what they do - just means you have an issue with it.  This is not an English forum.

and to Nic you posted-

Nic:  I have read the posts.  You have done nothing wrong.  I was not aware of other keyboards out there.  Please keep posting as you are and keep up the good work.  You have no reason to defend yourself.

mina2
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 10:05:31 PM

muah

sonnnammmaa GUN!

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 11:46:42 PM

Some of you people would do well to expand your minds and knowledge instead of jumping in with derisive remarks on what you proclaim to know as fact when, truth be told, you have no clue what you're bombinating about.

I'm sorry but I've never heard or seen the word bombinating, perhaps one needs some special keyboard to understand it's meaning? Does anyone know this word ?

There are people all over the world communicating via internet. It's astonishing that some of you don't stop to think that America isn't the only country on the planet.

All of us who are  here agree that it's simply the best place on the planet, I guess it's as simple as that actually.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 11:51:27 PM

Nic- In all fairness you were the one who was haughty at first, saying but???  I mean in all fairness you can't tell me you did not know what he meant. 

Thank you Vally, I believe that you are correct,  it wasn't a creative nor informative issue, it was simply nit-picking.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2006 12:01:22 AM

Nic...The idea here is that we are English speakers, English is the language we write in and we use English language keyboards.

The point was that you were being unnecessarily obtuse and certainly being difficult regarding my typo in the post, whereas when I draw attention to spelling errors or grammatical errors in posts it's to inform, not to nitpick.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2006 12:25:52 AM

Britboy and others:  This is not a spelling bee.  This is a Hair/Salon/Business forum.  Think about it. 

Cindy I do think about it, constantly actually, I think about how sad it is that posters in this trade and to this Business Forum have a pretty difficult time being literate. Just because we are hairstylists doesn't mean that we shouldn't be attempting to correspond in an intelligent manner, and that includes spelling and grammar. There's often discussion here about whether or not hairstylists are 'professionals'...We will never be taken seriously until we demonstrate that we are at least literate.  

Look how many posts have drifted off topic.  Get over it. 

I'm sorry to see you suggesting that I get over the need for literacy, it's disappointing to think that I'm being asked to accept a low standard. 

This is getting old.  If you are concerned about your spelling just hit ABC at the top of your post it will spell check for you.   

If you are not concerned about spelling...why aren't you concerned about it, it's civilization that's at stake here, not a few badly done pin-curls.

And if you make a spelling mistake, Britboy - give them a break, please!  Doesn't mean they are not good at what they do - just means you have an issue with it.  This is not an English forum.

I never suggested that they weren't good at what they do, I can't understand where that idea came from, and I do have an issue with it, and so should anyone who is concerned for the future of this trade and this language...we need higher standards, not lower ones. I understand it's not an English forum, but it's a business forum conducted in English and there's absolutely no reason that we shouldn't be striving for the higher ground, not the lowest common denominator.  It's well documented that people who can't spell will have poor vocabularies, poor diction and hence poor communication skills, and those are crucial to a good hairstylist. They go hand in hand and to suggest that it's not important is to miss the big picture.

I've said before that hairstylists are generally considered as being Sweaty-Betties, chatty Kathies and we are almost always portrayed in the popular culture and media as being airheads...let's not add fuel to the fire by lowering the standards on this trade site as if to prove their point.

I realize that my opinions are often controversial and my posts sometimes acidic, but I think that I bring some much needed common sense here and I will not apologize for trying to uphold a standard which I believe is in the best interest of the tradespeople.

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2006 5:47:58 AM

Good post val-

I agree wholeheartedly with britboy. It seems to me that the only people out there that have a remotely cool perception of us are little girls and pre-teens.

The "chatty kathy" and "sweaty betties" paragraph does hit home. And we are not all ghetto or high school drop outs or whatever. There needs to be a step above other service jobs because after-all, we are required to go to school to learn this and then supposedly monitered by a licensing board just for our industry. Shouldn't we at least try to turn the perception around with proper or correct grammer both in speaking as well as writing regardless of the language we use? You walk into a bank, do your business and when you are leaving the teller says "Later Dude! hang left!" no. I should think not! and a bank teller is basically a cashier with a little more responsibility. How would you like to get a bank form that is peppered with mispellings and slang? Or if their rates board was all jumbled in no particular order? I've walked into salons that have service boards up and you don't know what you are reading. It's not in good order or there are mispellings etc. 

I for one truly believe that this "straying off topic" grammar/spelling topic is very important to our industry.

And just a note: Nic is one of my all-time favorite posters. His/her posts are always filled with intelligence and just about as perfect grammer as I have ever seen. It's a breath of fresh air to read what they have to write....because I can read it!

mina2
Silver Member

Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2006 8:05:21 AM

Let's not forget the gum poppers... good thing we can't hear on this board....

hues4you
Platinum Member

britboy-
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2006 8:24:44 AM

Ok, I am all for the raising the bar of our industry.  Let me rephrase this another.  I am all for literacy and proper communication skills - but I realize that not everyone is a skilled typist, but they can read and they can write.  So we can not assume just because they misspell a word, that they are ignorant.  Do you agree?

Again, use the spell check feature above.  It's ABC with a check mark.  This topic is about Mullets - not spelling.  I hope you all have a good weekend.

mina2
Silver Member

Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2006 2:05:12 PM

I saw a girl's website- can't remember the site name- but

SHE CUTS MULLETS FOR FREE!  It says:

I'll cut your mullet- FREE!

HAHAHAHA  Thought I'd share a laugh..

Nic
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2006 7:07:34 PM

Britboy, here is the definition. Cindy, I'm only posting this because he asked what it meant.

Main Entry: bom·bi·nate
Pronunciation: 'bäm-b&-"nAt
Function: intransitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -nat·ed; -nat·ing
Etymology: New Latin bombinatus, past participle of bombinare, alteration of Latin bombilare, from bombus
: BUZZ, DRONE
- bom·bi·na·tion /"bäm-b&-'nA-sh&n/ noun

Habib, thank you for the compliment. I appreciate that. 

Does anyone know who came up with the mullet? 

Winston Churchill

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2006 8:43:52 PM

Well. I'll be hornswoggled!

The US is still the best place though.

habib
Silver Member

Posted: Sunday, April 23, 2006 6:32:08 AM

Isn't a mullet a fish?

Mina- maybe someone ought to show up on that girl's doorstep with a bag of dead fish?

You are very welcome Nic.

hornswoggled: to bamboozle; deceive  (bamboozle??? hee hee hee) kind of funny that this is the definition for this. It goes on to say that hornswoggled was one of the earliest of a group of "fancified" words invented by the American west to poke fun at sophisicated folks of the East. this is interesting:read more at  www.dictionary.com

whynotdye

Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 5:12:20 PM

Britboy, I think what people are trying to say is that you can dish it, but you can't take it.

If you are going to get on everyone's case about spelling and grammar, be ready to be on  the receiving end and take it like a man when other people call you on it.