Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Cutting short ladies tapers - how do you go about it?
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:30:52 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Cutting short ladies tapers - how do you go about it?
Anonymous

Posted: Friday, January 16, 2004 3:02:00 PM
Hi all --

I consistently seem to have problems with short ladies haircuts, especially if they are going from long to extremely short. I never know where to start - in the nape, or at the top?? Also, I never seem to get the sides right. They seem too long or really choppy and uneven looking up around the ear. And then, I can't get the sides to blend seamlessly with the back. Can anyone help me by explaining how you do it, step by step? I am always so paranoid about cutting too short and sending someone away feeling scalped, so I think I get afraid to cut and run into problems.

HairMavenRussell

Posted: Friday, January 16, 2004 11:11:00 PM
If you really want to improve your cutting skills on short hair, just buy a few mannequin heads and some educational materials or hire a coach and practice. That is really the best way.

It's difficult to state with words something that is also so visual.

It is my experience that most of the problems that people experience when cutting short hair is from the lack of clean sectioning, and even sectioning. I you start at the front of the hairline and take clean, even sized sections and cut them all the same length until you get to the middle of the back of the head and repeat the same on the other side, there really isn't much else to it. You only need to determine your starting length. Most people take too few sections and try to blending shear the lumps out.

Hairartproducts.com sells pretty good doll heads at a reasonable price.

Starfire

Posted: Saturday, January 17, 2004 8:15:00 PM
Hi Anon! Practice makes perfect :) the mannequin heads are a good idea. The type of cut I'm picturing here is short but stylable on top, off the ears and tapered down through the back. My general method is to do a top center panel first to the desired length, usually about a 3 inch uniform layer. I then move to each side, directing the hair down over the ear, forming my perimeter line around each ear, then blending the layers down through by using the top lenghts as a guide. I then blend from the top lengths down through the back to the occipital area, doing the center panel first, then each side panel, matching my lengths to the previously cut sections. Then I take the excess length off the bottom and from the occiptal to the nape I taper in THIN vertical sections from one guide to the other. Cross-check blending areas by overdirecting forward from behind the ears. This is just what works for me; everyone has different techniques. It's best that you practice until you find what method is comfortable for you.

Marjorie

cutting short ladies tapers - how do you go about it?
Posted: Saturday, February 04, 2006 4:03:47 AM

I am very good at this. blush but true.

Start from the nape up, then the sides, then the crown, then blend where they all meet.

On the sides, take 1 cm horizontal sections.  First section cut at say, the ear lobe level zero degrees.  Next 1cm follow first section but lift 15 degrees, continue 30,45,60,75, 90 and rest at 90.  Sure way, no mistakes.  Use one sided thinning shears (flat side against skin) to thin around the ears.  Enjoy.