Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Are there any flat irons on the market comparable to the chi?
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:30:50 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Are there any flat irons on the market comparable to the chi?
Brandi

Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 10:41:00 AM
We have a chi at the shop, & I would love to have one at home. But, I am wondering if anyone else has come out with anything comparable?

HairMavenRussell

Posted: Friday, January 16, 2004 11:27:00 PM
HAI irons at

hairartandinfo.com

Superstar at

adamsphere.com

From what I've scene both are a little stronger at the pivot point of the iron than the chi. And get just as hot.

Russell
www.hairmaven.com

joleigh

have you tried the grund hot stick
Posted: Sunday, September 12, 2004 3:19:43 PM
I purchased a Grund hot stick and think it is the best,  temp is constant and is very easy to handle.

Rena837

Paul Mitchell Smoothing Iron
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 8:41:06 PM
The best flat iron i have ever used.  i think its better than chi

hot_locks
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 9:39:13 PM

I will have to try that PM smoothing iron because I have tried them all and so far nothing compares to the  CHI (in my opinion)

Shimmers

Flat Ceramic Irons
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2005 3:18:01 PM

Don't know if this comes too late, I've just recently signed on.

I have the Infrashine ceramic iron, and I've found it to work very well.  The ceramic is baked in, so it doesn't chip off.  I've had clients try others, and end up coming in to buy.  Not sure where you're located, but I get them thru West Coast Beauty Supply

ScissorNut

Artizen Irons
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 7:34:31 AM

Have you seen this? The whole front gets hot in addition to the plates. It is spectacular. I saw it work at the Chicago Midwest show and instanly loved it. You can do a bunch of awesome effects with it.

http://www.artizenusa.com/

"So long and thanks for all the fish"

Glenda L

Artizen Irons
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 7:56:06 AM

I looked at the site fromthe link you provided, and it looks amazing!

I was a bit confuded on how to order one.  Are there supply houses that carry these or do you buy from the company?

Do you have any idea about the cost of the iron?

Glenda L

ScissorNut

Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 8:46:08 AM

I think it depends where you buy but I got mine for about $100

You can go here to find a distributor.
http://www.artizenusa.com/pages/distributor1.html

Otherwise call the company I guess.

Cheers!

"So long and thanks for all the fish"

AlenaL
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, September 02, 2005 8:25:38 PM
Email www.bonika.com They have great flat irons. That's where I get anything I buy and everything is great.  i have used a Chi before, and I didn't see what the fuss was all about. Good luck.

m2
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2005 5:32:57 AM
i just tried the T3 wet/dry flat iron.  it's a nice tool.

lby71

great flat iron
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 6:44:11 PM
i really like FHI iron

Renny

Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2005 9:29:24 PM
I own 2 CHI flat irons...one for clients and one for myself at home...wouldn't use anything else.. 

Anonymous

chi
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 2:10:55 PM
chi is the best flatiron I've ever used.

glitter

Sedu
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2005 8:59:01 AM
It's #1 rated 120 dallors love it.

optikad

Supa Chi
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2005 10:40:48 PM
The CHI (Ceramic Hot Iron) is the best Iron I have used. I had the opportunity to test it before it came out. I did not know how to use the thing. I did not hate it but did not use it very much. Then I used it on my Extremely curly friend and the results were amazing. And I have not put it down since. I have used many other Irons since. I used the ADST (Japan) its about $500 bones. It worked ok but I still preffered my CHI. We also got 3, T3's in our Salon every one came apart quickly. Yes they replaced them but still same problem. I also have used the Krembs wet/dry its ok. I do like the wider plates for long hair but still use my CHI even on wet hair. We do a thermal IONIC reconstructer that has to be flashed into the hair wet. My CHI does this just fine. And I get funny looks from other stylist. They did not know it would also dry wet hair. Krembs also has a smaller model called the KINU, its ok but not as smooth as the CHI. We all have had a Babyliss or some other mid range Iron. The plates always gum up and wont come clean. I love my CHI because it will wipe clean no matter what. I have used it to Flash Ink-Works into hair for extreme colors in no time. Gets messy but wipes cleane. My girl friend is also a hair dresser and has the InfraShine (chi-clone) with the tempature guage. Its not as smooth and takes longer to heat up. She wont use mine anymore because she does not want to get spoiled on my CHI and for some reason will not spend more on the iron. I like the fact that my Original CHI has no dials or meters. I just turn it on and go in 10 seconds. I have asked many hair stylist if they even use the Temp. guage on there Irons, and they all say "No", its always on HI. And have asked every rep who tries to sell us a new Iron saying "But this one has a dial", "What tempature should a iron be at". None have been able to reply. The Chi iron is true Infra red heat. Meaning It cannot scorch hair. I have tried as an experiment. I held it for 10 minutes straight on one of my students hair we were cutting off anyway. Not the best hair to begin with. At 210 degrees Celcius it did not burn or scorch. I am sold on this model. Yes there are many who claim be the same or Simaler or the new Tech. (Tourmaline). They are all just trying to reinvent the wheel. I will only use the CHI Iron because I know it works and will always work. Its just that simple. Find what works for you. And stick with it. But keep and open mind to new ideas. Before CHI there were bad Metal Pulling Ripping Burning Irons. Who would of thought Ceramic would revolutionize our styling tools. Thanks (long post Sorry)

crystal

chi rules
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2005 9:54:56 AM

I have been using the chi iron for a year now, along with all of the  chi products.  It is the best iron I have ever worked with, not only does it get the hair straight, but if you use the chi keratin mist, and the silk infusion, the hair is left in a very  shiny, soft condition. Excellant for people who have frizzy hair.

Jazznfla

Sedu Ionic Ceramic Tourmaline Flat Iron
Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 8:04:32 AM

Has anyone tried the Sedu irons?  I haven't bought a flat iron yet and was surfing the internet for reviews on them.  This looks like a good one and got very good reviews as well.

Just curious if anyone owns one.  Also, what is the best size to get?  1 1/2", 1 1/4" or 1" ?? 

http://www.folica.com/Sedu_Ionic_Cera_d1560.html

mden

wigo
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2006 12:40:58 PM
I have a wigo Jade flat iron. I absolutely love it.  best flat iron i have ever owned!

Chemically_dependent_Zarah

try tourmaline its breaking and wayyy better
Posted: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 8:48:57 PM
I just bought the bablyiss pro 5000 and i work next to my boss (whom is like the goddess of hair in my book) she is obsessed with using her chi...that is until i went to the hair show in atlanic city nj and got this flatiron it has like 40 heat settings. And you know those "my hair has to be perfectly straight" pain in the but clients? They all asked me where the could get it they just couldn't believe it!! the T3 wet to straight is awesome too! I'm just really into the tourmaline because of what it does to the hair and the integretyof the work too.. it pushes that great stlye over the edge to that damn near perfectly finished look...Well anyways my boss was amazed at how awesome the babyliss pro5000 worked she tries to "borrow" it quite often. so good luck and happy hunting!!

may all you do & see be so hard it's easy-zarah

JenWLove

Nothing compares to the CHI!!!!
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 10:46:56 AM
I loved it so much, I signed up!!!

JenWLove

Keep the growing going!

Keep on sharing!!!

AlenaL
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 8:12:20 PM
Go to www.bonika.com You may have to send them an email and ask them for the flat iron that Frances Dubose uses. I was her assistant and always used her stuff until I got my own.  LOVE the flat iron! I will never have a different brand!

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 11:21:44 PM
Best iron around is the steam iron sold on TV, it really works better than anything else, I got one at Bed Bath and beyond for $65.00, it's great. You can make African American hair bone straight with just one light pass, no squeezing necessary. Any head of the most dense curl completely silky-straight in a few minutes.

hairbook

Sedu
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 2:04:52 PM

Sedu is better than Chi

Lady's Home Journal:

Get Super-Straight Hair in 15, 30, or 60 Minutes 

Ivillage:

Marcia Cross' Hairstyle with Sedu 

Post edited by BTC:  Please if you are interested in this product by from the manufactor direct or your local distributor.  The website posted has been removed for the following reason:  Advertising.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

sunshyne_blondie

Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 8:33:09 PM
I LOVE MY FHI!  I got it in a hairshow a few months ago, does great spiral curls, flips and pin straight of course!  It costed around $130 which is not too shabby if u ask me

redrosie

Croc Titanium Ceramic
Posted: Sunday, March 25, 2007 8:37:10 PM

Our salon just switched to Croc Titanium Ceramic.  We have used Chi in the past and the Croc is better by far, with faster finish time.  We use them on all hair types with beautiful results. Price is around $110

joleen0313

Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 1:45:34 PM
I read in a styling magazine that you could use the flat iron on wet or dry hair.  I've seen the ones that can be used on either.  But I didn't think a regular flat iron would be safe to use on wet hair.  This ariticle didn't specify that it had to be the wet/dry flat iron.  Does anyone know? I have a chi ceramic iron, and would love to use it on my wet hair.  But I'm afraid it will all burn off or damage it.

Humberto
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 4:16:19 PM

Hair is a fabic that has similiar properties to other natural fibers.  It is very strong but has limits.  If you apply any brand of hot iron to wet hair you will hear snap,crackle, pop.  These tiny explosions are the result of steam escaping from the hair shaft (like popcorn),  when examined under a microsope you will find tears and holes in the hair strand from this escaping steam.  Even though the manufacturers say that the irons can be used on wet hair there is extreme damage caused by doing this. 

Irishprncess

chi isnt that great
Posted: Sunday, April 22, 2007 5:47:57 PM
i personally do not like the chi i have a new fusion flatiron that i love comes with 3 yr warranty and everything the dryer is also great i dont think the chi is what all the buzz is worth neither do many people that own them in my school or salon they always ask to borrow mine

hues4you
Platinum Member

Irishprncess
Posted: Monday, April 23, 2007 5:07:59 AM

Dear Irishprncess

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards!  Please take a few moments to read over the board rules in the green box above.  Nice to have you with us.

Cindy Farr Hester  Asst Moderator

HairCrooner

F.H.I.!!!!
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 12:10:22 PM
I LOVE the F.H.I. !!! Typically, at hair shows I've seen them for around $130-$150 but online I've found them as low as $89 on discount flat iron web sites. The last salon I worked I worked in, the manager had one and every stylist borrowed it. The new salon I'm working in provides everyone a Chi and it's a bit of a let down.

SilkStrands

Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 1:46:51 PM

I know this is an old thread, but if there are still people out there shopping for flat irons, folica.com has a lot of customer reviews that helped me a lot.

I ended up going with the Solia 1 1/4", and I'm very happy with it. My stylist uses a CHI and it just seems like it dries my hair out and makes it lack shine. Solia is great, very smooth.. doesn't pull my hair like the CHI and makes it SHINY.

Just go read the reviews and make the decision for yourself, but I'd highly recommend Solia. Good price too.

TrinXTC

opinions?
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2008 10:03:46 AM

In my salon and for personal use, I use Chi original.  I recently chopped my hair off really short.  The problem I'm having is I'm always burning myself.  I never burnt myself when I had long hair nor do I have that problem at the salon since I'm working on somebody else.  I only have that problem at home, working on myself.  I need to get a new flat iron for home use that will help with my burning problem.  What does everybody recommend?

hair4eva

Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2008 10:01:17 AM
I have seen Chi's lately for sale at the local Costco. Has anyone tried these models, and are the same as the professional model. My rep actually told me they are fakes! I definitely doubt that Costco sells fakes.
They were about half price under $80.

tggirl2000

Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:08:11 PM
i think it is a similar situation to diverted products. you might be getting paul mitchell in that bottle, maybe not. the chi might be great, maybe not. i wonder if they might be refurbished irons-you know like when you get a replacement cell phone from the company, it is not really new. it is someone's old one that they cleaned up and are passing on to you. just a thought...

tggirl2000

Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2008 2:08:15 PM
i think it is a similar situation to diverted products. you might be getting paul mitchell in that bottle, maybe not. the chi might be great, maybe not. i wonder if they might be refurbished irons-you know like when you get a replacement cell phone from the company, it is not really new. it is someone's old one that they cleaned up and are passing on to you. just a thought...

gd
Gold Member

Posted: Thursday, June 26, 2008 5:56:21 PM
They are the same irons. Do not believe the bull the companies put out about diversion. I have seen CHI irons in many stores in my area for about $80.

scissorella7608

flat irons
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 1:17:38 AM
I used to use chi until I have had to buy 5 in the last 6 years. I switched to the Paul Mitchell Ion Flat iron. It has 2 silcone grip strips so it cuts down on flatting time. Also the Paul Mitchell turn up to 400 degrees.