Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Kids having lots of hair
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:30:49 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Kids having lots of hair
Cdn

Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 6:46:00 AM
We had a guy the other day in the shop who made a seen after the receptionist told him the price for his 14-year old daughter's cut & style. She had more hair than you & me combined. She hasn't seen a stylist for over a year. She needed a complete new style and straightening too. Toke one of our Seniors over an hour. Her price is $56- for Cut & style so she put $56- on the slip. The stylist did a great job and charged what she is supposed to. While giving a cut to her she asked the girl how old she is. She said 14. Her father said 13 at the reception and her mom said a "Kid's cut" in the phone when making the appointment. The senior stylist gave the guy $10- discount but that wasn't enough for him. Finally one of the owners gave the cut for them for $26-. Poor stylist who is on commission put her heart in the cut and worked very hard for over an hour on her. How would you handle this situation? What is the cut off point in your salon, separating kids & adults. Most of them have lots and lots of hair. Now there is a new rule. The receptionist has to ask the age of the kid. If she is 13 & over, she will pay adult price. What do y'all think?

Colorgrrl
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 7:31:00 AM
I see this all the time!!! I work in a "family " type full service salon. Not shabby but not a dayspa. Our pricing reflects the time spent on a service. We charge adult prices for 12 and over, period. Many times people scoff at this, but hey, if they cant even teach their kids to brush their hair, wash it properly, and I have to spend a half hour just to get the matted "dreadlocks" out of it, praying they dont have lice ,and patiently teaching the child how to take care of their hair better, then Yes, Indeed, I am charging for it. We cannot by state law charge different gender pricing either. We offer cheaper "buzz cuts" but that is all. So too bad for that client. It really bothers me how many people let their kids hair "go" for like a year, then scream about prices, or time spent on the work we have to do, when they as parents dont even teach proper rudimentary hygeine to their kids!! Too bad for them if they dont like the prices, then let them get a Flowbee lol!!

TLH
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, October 17, 2003 8:34:00 AM
I always thought kids prices were cheaper because they don't take as long (because they theoretically aren't fashionistas at that age - lol). But when the 8 year old comes in demanding a fashion cut and style, a shampoo and blow dry, it gets to be just as demanding as an adult cut. I've worked at places where they have one price for 4 years old and younger, and another price for 11 years and younger. Above that is adult pricing. Another place charged adult prices over 10 years old. And charged extra for a blow dry after. A lot of times I won't shampoo the child, because I can see this is going to take way longer than the price I'm charging is worth. It's hard to decide. Are we charging less as a loss leader to get the parents in? Because that doesn't always work. Are we charging less because it's less work? Because that's not true usually. Why do we charge them less? Someone please explain...

bj

Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 10:36:00 AM
I'm thinking of charging full price for kids. I have a full book most of the time and it kills me to have to turn away an adult to do a kid at a cut rate. Especially when the mothers think we're only good enough to cut their kids' hair and they themselves get theirs done in the city. I put as much care and attention into cutting a kid's hair as an adult's. Why shouldn't I be compensated?

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 1:02:00 AM
You should be. If you need a full appointment slot for a child then you are losing money if you don't charge for it. We often try to be nice to clients by doing their kids and charging less for it, but time is money, and if they don't want to pay there are usually kids salons where they can go for less, or Supercuts e.g. where a cut is $10.00 or small indies for $8.00.
I had a client whose 13 year old son had more hair than many grown men and who wanted a style cut. I told his mother that it would be full price and she said 'what about kids prices?' I told her that he was HER kid but not A kid and that he had as much hair as a man and wanted a man's haircut, so it was going to be a full rate.
She wasn't happy, but after style disasters elsewhere, she came back begging me to do it for him...at full price. Yesssss...

Alice

Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 4:47:00 AM
We just dropped the teen cut off our menu all together and we are tinkering with dropping the child's cut because the parents want so much out of this service. I feel if it is a baby cut or just a trim we can charge on the partial cut menu and they can pay full price for a styled cut. I had a young girl yesterday that had so much hair that I cut 15 inches off then went in and did a styled cut. It took an hour from beginning to blow dry. I charged mom full price.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 12:58:00 PM
Right Alice, the mechanic doesn't charge less for repairing a newer car than an older one, or a smaller one than a larger one...it's all labor and parts.

Alice

Posted: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 3:16:00 AM
very true,Britboy.

ozgirl

kids cuts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2005 6:09:53 AM

perhaps we should do like britboy did and tell the parent how much the service will cost before we work on their little darling, then we dont have to accept less than what the service is worth