Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > What do you charge for cuts?
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:30:45 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: What do you charge for cuts?
Jackie

Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 8:33:00 AM
I charge 20 for a ladies cut and 30 for a shampoo cut and style. Most stylists in this city charge 25 including shampoo and style. I have my first booth renter and she charges 25 with style. How do I answer the phone when I am asked what do you charge for a ladies cut? We do share the same phone. Also what do you guys charge and where do you live? Also for men.

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 9:25:00 AM
I think you have 2 questions and here are my answers. First you could answer the question the clients ask about what you charge by saying that the price depends on the stylist. Thats what we say at our booth rental salon, and if they push to get an exact price we tell them that it ranges from $25-$40 for a shampoo, cut, and style for women and $15-$30 for a shampoo cut and dry for men. We're pretty average for our area, which is about 45 minutes from New Orleans. Personally my prices are $29 for a shampoo,cut, and style for women, $19 for men. I do charge a little more for long hair that has to be straightened ($34). Hope that helps!

Jackie

Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 10:14:00 AM
Thanks!

TLH
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 9:53:00 AM
Just as an additional question: a stylist friend of mine (IC) added a light blow dry to her menu. Thus, she has one price for just a HC, higher for HC & slight blow dry, even higher for HC with styling. Interesting. That way, it's unisex and for the guys or women who have short hair but you just want to get some lift on top or in front, they are paying you for your time, but just not as much as the person you blow out with a brush and spend 5-10 minutes on. What do you think? Sometimes I think there's a place for itemization and ala carte menus. It's fairer to some clients.

JD
Platinum Member

Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 10:20:00 AM
Hi TLH.
What I do as a IC is I make sure no one walks out with wet hair.
I charge $20 for a womens hc and will take the dryer to it and dry it, no round brush or curling iron, just finger dryed. If they want more of a style then it is $25-$28. My clients are happy with this as they do not have to walk out with wet hair and it looks better for our shop.

sizzorqueen
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 7:08:00 AM
I personally don't like letting clients walk out w/ wet hair either.
I charge the same price if they walk in wet and leave wet as I do if I wash and style them.
Time is $$$
I charge $41.00 for a womans cut, $29.00 for a mans. I'm in the metro Detroit area.

have fun
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2003 11:05:00 PM
If it were me answering the phone, it maybe easier to state that cuts are $25 and up. I recently made up a menu and kids cuts-$25 (for a full length appointment) Men and women's cuts--$28. Maybe it is time to give yourself a raise. I booth rent and if it is my turn to answering the phone, and they are new--I listen to what they are looking for and then give them some very fun, exciting options.
I recently decided to charge the same for men. In Mass. there are laws about gender pricing and if they want a "cheaper" haircut, then there are other places they can choose. When we invest our $ in educational classes, why should men pay less for our skills? A great haircut--is worth it. All of us wear our hair everyday! Western Massachusetts

TLH
Bronze Member

Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 11:56:00 AM
Yeah, the gender pricing always disturbed me, even before I got into this field. I can't see the fairness of charging a man less than a woman who has very short hair which is dry by the time I finish the cut and who only needs a little pomade or spray to finish, just as most men's hair needs. That always made me mad as a short haired client and I vowed to never do that to women and men as a professional. So I'm always trying to find ways to make it "fair" for my clients as well as profitable for me. Thus, my question about ala carte pricing -- it's gender neutral. A pain in the butt, granted, but not discriminatory. (Just as paying more for my blouse at a drycleaners than a man for his shirt is bull****).

So, that having been vented, how can we be fair to certain women clients (whose cuts and finishes are as easy as a mens cut) without having to deal with people who want to be cheap and leave with (longer) wet hair and our reputation risked? In an ideal world, and with a full clientele, I'd LOVE to just charge one price for haircuts/styles, with no option of leaving wet. But people would find that unfair too. It's a real quandry for me. Opinions anyone?

snippitts

Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2003 12:20:00 PM
I live in Mass and have seperate prices for men and women .I charge 20 for womens wash and cut 15 for men .If I style a womens hair I charge 30. Also like JD I dont let my ladies walk out wet. I will spend afew minutes and finger dry them. I work out of my house and have been doing many of my clients for 25 years, I know they appreciate little things you do for them and are very loyal.

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 10:20:00 AM
I charge the same for a shamppo cut and finger blowdry (25 to 30) same for men and women but length can make a difference. A blowdry style or finish is 35 to 40. Men rarely get a finish. I determine a style by whenther or not I pick up a brush or a curler or any other tools but my fingers to style the hair.

To be honest there is a little difference among the genders. Men usually have short hair so they pay 25, they usually don't get "style" and son't have to pay for all the fussing. But a woman can take advantage of the price structure too. And a long haired or high maintenance man will pay a fair price too. But we don't have to price according to gender. I think it's unfair. As long as we know the reason for it we can communicate it better. It's about time and work more than gender. And salons should find a way to be compensated by the client no matter what their gender.

have fun
Bronze Member

Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 11:27:00 AM
TLH-- If you want to take the option of leaving wet, then go right ahead. I explain to my clients that it is necessary for me to check their cut because we all know that hair behaves differently from wet to dry. I have constructed a menu that INCLUDES a lot in a service for a price. Especially for my chemical services. If I feel they need something that will only truely benefit their hair and how they will feel in the end--they usually will go for it.
I feel that we all can have whatever "dream" clientele we all want if we educated our clients and keep them up to date. I have had a very good response to taking away some options. I had trouble doing the "ala carte" thing. But that's just me.
Are skills are so artistic and creative! I am sure those same clients don't go up to a counter at the mall and try to negotiate a price for those drop-dead, over priced shoes;that they are only going to wear once!

TLH
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, March 17, 2003 5:52:00 PM
I like the Shampoo/cut/finger dry vs. hc/style price difference. That would actually do it for me. I like the way you explained your price structure, anon. on 3/14. It's the closest to what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks! (I didn't like "light blow dry" as a phrase). As far as my intention, it is to get paid for the work I actually do and not get ripped off or rip off others. So this helps. I agree about not letting client leave wet and then blame you for the cut being wrong. I just want to be FAIR.

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2003 11:41:00 AM
I charge $20 for a men's cut and $32 for a women's cut. When telling a customer the prices I always let them know that the price includes a shampoo, scalp massage and a style. With my short haired clients, I always do the scalp massage after the cut to rinse off the hair. They really appreciate it. With the people that don't want it dried, I always say that I don't feel like I've given you my best service, and that they could sit under a hood dryer to let it 'air dry', that way their not walking around with wet hair, but it's not to often that a style is not performed.

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2004 11:06:00 PM
We charge 40-45 for women(45min-1hr),Men 30-35(1/2hr-45min). I like to have at least 45min to a hour for each client. I always finsh with a blow dry so I can check my work, and show them the finished results. This also gives me opportunity to show them what product can do. The salon I work at is in Portland.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 10:39:00 PM
How can you make a living that way? I mean if you work an 8 hour day and do e.g. 9 cuts at $45.00 then your gross is $400.00. At 50% you get $200 plus e.g.15% in tips (60.00) then your pre-tax day earnings is $260.00. I couldn't live on that.
Also, do you charge women whose hair takes 1/2 hour to cut, the same amount as men? If a man's hair takes you 45 minutes then how come you charge him $10.00 less than for a woman whose cut takes as long?
Don't tell me it's the blow-dry time please, the dryer doesn't take longer to dry a short cut on a woman's hair than a man's...
In California you would face a stiff fine for discriminating on the basis of gender, it's not allowed by law to charge different prices for men and women, whether for haircuts, dry cleaning or other services.
How much do you charge a lesbian for a flattop?
How about a gay man (or a straight one) in a dress and makeup? Do you inspect their private parts before writing the ticket?
I'm really not trying to be difficult here, but when will women wake up and smell the roses? Why should they pay more for the same service? I know, it's not always the same service, but we all know that often a female's hair is as short, fine and as easy to do as any man's cut, so why the difference in price?
It's interesting too that 90% of hairstylists are female, which means that women are exploiting their sisters in a way that they complain that men do...If you really want equality you might begin with your price list. Either raise your men's prices, or lower your women's. Don't the female clients ever raise a ruckus over this gender price difference?
The reason that men historically pay less for their cuts is because in the 1960's and 70's when men first began to frequent beauty shops to get their hair cut, they had been used to paying lower prices to the Barber and Cosmetologists were afraid that they wouldn't pay the prices in a salon so they lowered the prices to get the business and the lower pricing persists 'till today. Isn't it time to get into the 21st Century with men's prices?
How do you justify a husband paying less than his wife for a cut that takes the same time to do, if it does?

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2004 10:42:00 PM
Have you noticed how often a man will call up (or a woman calling to make an appointment for a man) and ask, "How much do you charge for a man's cut?"
They actually expect it to be a different price don't they?
I tell them it's the same as a woman's, in California we may not discriminate on the basis of gender.

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2004 4:31:00 PM
I agree wholeheartedly Britboy and have been wondering aloud that very same thing. Good point!!

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2004 7:53:00 PM
from western MA: moderately priced as follows: child under 6 15$and up child to 12 20$and up 12 and up is a minimum of 25$...and up most adult womens cuts are 45$...and up. This can include wash cut and style, all our prices are "and up" which covers our butts if the client wants ironing or a real blowout which will require xtra time and therefore xtra $$ where xtra time is booked there needs to be $$!! All cuts are booked on the 1/2 hour unless client specifies xtra styling. Mens cuts start at 25$ and up Ha ha there is the magic phrase. This has allowed each price to reflect the work done. In other words, the one length hair that you layered into lisa rinna's cute shag & spent a full hour primping should'nt pay the same price as Mrs. Schwartz who just needed a trim on her never changing bob. And Mrs. Rinna feels so good about her new style she wants to buy a new lipstick and all 3 products you just used on her hair!! Now about that 25$ mens cut...All 10 of my male clients are getting a total steal of a style, I just happen to be able to pull off the scissor and razor almost with my eyes closed because they are 10+ year loyal clients of mine, none of them want a scalp massage and they all rebook 3-4 weeks for 3 months at a time, the other men that come to the salon keep the other employees busy and happy doing hair. I'm working 30-35 hours a week and bringing home a healthy 50,000 a year. However I know for a fact that cutting and blowfrying hair (wow that was a great typo!)is not where money is made, it's all in the chemicals!! I'm happy with my income, but I am always looking for more. Where I live, the average cut is 25-30$ The most expensive is 120$ I don't want to deal with the clients that want the most expensive haircut in town.The cost of living in CA is much more than here, or probably a lot of other places. I could never live on 25$ haircuts, even being booked 2 weeks in advance and many days full on 6 months in advance ( I have those clients trained well!)I like the phrasing "and up" it helps clients understand that it is different from time to time and a style change requires time you should be paid for!!

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2004 8:57:00 PM
Still doesn't answer the question of why men's 'services' are priced lower than women's does it? Just because you say 'from' changes nothing, you are still pricing men's servcice lower than women's.
You know as well as do I that some women's services take no longer than some men's, but just because they are females they pay more...Why?

JD
Platinum Member

Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2004 9:11:00 PM
so we should start charging by the hour and not the service? I mean, it takes me 20 mins from shampoo to taking the cape off to do a clipper cut on a guy. it would take me the same amount of time to do it on a female. but there isn't very many females out there to get a buzzed clipper cut.

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2004 9:22:00 PM
The reason mens' cuts are cheaper than womens' is because most men will go to the barber shop and pay $15.00 if salons started charging as much as womens' cuts. This all started when salons were trying to get the male clientele in the door. It used to be that men go to the barber shop and women go to the salon. So salons made mens' cuts a little more than the barber shop but still cheaper than what women paid. It's just been that way ever since. Salons are afraid they will lose their male clientele. It's not right but that is the way it is.

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2004 10:08:00 PM
have'nt we all heard of "bread & butter" would'nt you rather do a men's cut or a couple of eyebrow waxes or even some old ladies set than do nothing? The reason men's cut's are a little cheaper is because they get their hair cut more often. This is bread, ( like 'busy work' for gradeschool kids), your butter is the work you want to do that makes you good money. guys will walk-in all the time for a cut, They want it to be reasonable. After all, they're the ones always getting ripped off for the rest of the package (highway robbery shoe prices, always paying for the date or whatever female luxuries they may be providing to their woman) so cut them a break they're usually footing the bill for the 150$ highlight H/C you're doing next. If the guy can afford a little luxury for himself, then add-on a service such as topcoat to shine his locks.(every woman wants to feel a glossy head of hair) & he looks more refreshed and healthy... 25$ please, oh right we cut today too, that's 50$ Expensive, well you're worth it, does'nt it cost 12-15$ to drive through a car wash for 2 mins? Maybe he needs a little hair removal unibrow or ear hairs 5-10$ here 25$ there, make it relative to your own cost of living. Maybe it's 40$ for the cut and 12-15 for wax whatever the case may be, you should roughly be making the same $ amount no matter who you are working on I charge a little old lady wedge less money too because A. she might not be able to be bread&butter, and B. she's there every 4 weeks and she gives me a Xmas card. The guy who comes every 3 weeks makes my salary too, so for reliability he gets a break. The chick with 14 pictures of what she wants out of her hair is not getting any breaks, but she is made to feel special: ie.. coffee tea baked goods magazines galore footstools great music... >Also you have to remember that price is indicative to the salons geographic location and its status, so never expect that someone charging less is doing less of a job than someone charging more. it has to do with the whole package, not just the stylist.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, August 06, 2004 12:50:00 AM
Anonymous Thurs 9/22
Excuse me but isn't your post exactly parroting what I already said yesterday? Are you even reading the posts? It might be 'the way it is' where you live, but in California you'd be in trouble for doing it.

JD...Yes, exactly, we should be charging by the hour, not by the gender of the client. I don't know where you are, but here there are quite a few females who get their hair buzzed,flattopped, and otherwise cut in the same time as it takes to cut a man's hair, the question is, why should they pay more because of their anatomy?

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, August 06, 2004 1:07:00 AM
You suggest that 'men's haircuts are a little cheaper' when actually they are 25% (or more) cheaper, and that 'they come in more often', but I just don't believe that a guy who comes in every three months (not every three weeks) gets charged any more than the three-week guy, it's just about gender, not fairness or equality of the sexes.

If 'price is relative to location' then why does gender come into play?

'They (men) want it to be reasonable' is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard to justify this obvious discrimination...Does that mean that women don't want it to be? It's just plain silly...
'Cutting men a break' because they pay for other things, is equally preposterous, what about those who don't...Why do they get it cheaper?
A man doesn't pay less for the carwash that you mention, why for hair services?
The reason is (and we all know it's true) that historically men have paid less, and salons are afraid that they will lose the business if they raise the prices for the men, it's not about any of the nonsense that all these posts use to justify it, it's simply about the money.
I would applaud anyone who would even admit it, but all I see is huffing and puffing and justifying. Don't the men hear the same music, read the magazines, eat a cookie and use the footstools? Of course they do, it's just nonsense.

Saraha

Posted: Friday, August 06, 2004 1:10:00 AM
I charge one price for a cut, no style, and one price for a cut and style.

I used to charge $22 for men and $32 for women (mid to upper range for my area, most expensive women's cuts here are $50)

I also didn't think it was necessarily fair, and seemed like gender discrimination. So I thought, Why do I do that?
Well, because most men's cuts take me 20 minutes and most women 45 to an hour. Why? Because of the blowdry and style. I don't spend 15 minutes with a curling iron on a guy after spending 10 doing a blowout with a round brush.
If I did have a woman come in and leave without a blowdry and style, I'd usually charge her the lesser price.
Then it occured to me, I should just price it that way, Cut no style and Cut with style.
Simple.
Did I have some women who switched over to cut/no style? Sure, so you could think you *lost* $10. Except that I can now do TWO in the time I was doing one, so I make $44 instead of $32, so I actually made $12 MORE in the same amount of time.
I'd say 80% of my female clients stayed with cut and style, even though it cost more, because they just don't want to go out without their hair done!
Mind you, I do NOT allow people to do their own hair at my station and pay the no style price. Uh uh. I do the hair here! LOL.

Anyway, my advice would be to think about why you are charging a different price for men and women, and see if you can't accomplish the same end in a a fairer way. It is, in fact, gender discrimination.

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, August 06, 2004 6:34:00 PM
maybe britboy you have too many male clients and you need to charge them accordingly. If you cut a guy for 20$ and a girl for 20$ did you work harder on the male or the female? How long did it take? the guy takes 20 mins and the girl takes 40, how is that fair? In fact the girl made you 10 mins late for the guys appt.!! If I do a mens cut that takes me as long as a womans and he fusses or I fuss, you better believe he's paying as much as the girl is!! anon 10:08

JD
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, August 06, 2004 10:32:00 PM
Britboy, I am not that far from you. Just North in Washington. But smaller town area where they are a bit more conservative.(yawn) :)
I base my pricing on hourly. 25.00 an hour.

jennajo

Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2004 3:27:00 PM
I am in Minnesota in a Suburb of Minneapolis.
My prices are:
Kids (10 and under) $18
Kids and Teens $25
Men and Women $30
More $ for long or thick hair applies to all

hairhappens
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2004 5:14:00 PM
Instead of charging one price for men, generally because thier hair is shorter, and more for women, because it usually takes longer, I charge for the length of hair and what I do to it...short hair w/style or w/out, medium hair w/style-w/out, long hair w/style-w/out. That way if I do a 'man's' h/c on a woman, it is no different. Or if I do a man w/long hair, it is no different on basis of gender. This works out good for me...w/no 'gender discrimination'. My clients feel this is fair, too. Especially the woman who barely have any hair and would be charged for a 'woman's' h/c at most salons around here.

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2004 5:58:00 PM
okay britboy, I ironically would happen to have a full book today with 5 mens cuts, 1 make-up on a mother of Bride, 2 eyebrow shapings and a balayage training, oh yeah & 1 kids cut at the last minute whose mother seemed to think she was qualified to give instructions! So now, I see, how the mens h/c screwed me royally because I made 1/2 the money I'm used to making. Having to texturize these cuts to death & the guys are no longer getting a buzz and blend fade anymore. This sucks! It's an outrage, I called a meeting to negotiate new mens prices according to the type of cut (I guess) have you any other ides? I was thinking maybe I could tell them that state board paid us a visit & the prices no longer can reflect gender difference. I can't believe I stick my foot in mouth sometimes!!anon 10:08

Plaidfuzz
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2004 6:05:00 PM
I charge $40 for long hair, $33 for short, whether male or female. If I pull out a brush or iron to style it's the long price.

Anonymous

Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2004 12:53:00 PM
YAY!! We are finally getting somewhere here! Hurray for non specific gender times!

Anonymous

Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2004 7:03:00 PM
Women's cuts take longer. I style with spray and dry them. It takes 45 min. A man take 15 to 20 min. Brit boy what do you charge? What do you tell the men when they balk at your prices? I have trouble with the men now and they are 15 and a woman is 22. They say gd!!!!!! Like I said a million dollars. Women hardly ever complain. They think we should do kids cheap. Waist length hair.(It's only a trim). It tangles and the kid is tender headed and won't sit still. One lady asked for cost of bang trim for her kid and then under her breath says real fast ...and ends. Right now I am afraid to go up to 16 for a man because I am afraid to get cussed out or lose their business. Any words of encouragement? Yes I am a chicken...

Anonymous

Posted: Sunday, August 08, 2004 7:05:00 PM
One more question. What is the definition of short on a woman? A stack bob takes me longer than a trim on a regular bob.

Plaodfuzz

Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 12:01:00 AM
If there is really that big of a difference in the amount of time you take for men and women why not charge in blocks of time?

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 6:11:00 AM
Gender has nothing to do with the hair.
In Massachusetts you cannot have pricing based on Gender. You have to come up with a pricing system that doesn't discriminate. Having prices for lengths of hair or time allottment is a good idea instead of having flat prices for any haircut etc.
My prices are listed with hair lengths for so it is clear to the clients.

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, August 09, 2004 7:42:00 AM
So what do the "penny pinchers" say when you take 45 mins and chatted with them? Has anyone ever asked you not to chat so you can work faster?
I'm just curious it's a great idea to charge by blocks of time, I'm just wondering how it's received.

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, August 16, 2004 7:19:00 PM
I sat down and figured out how much time I spend on men and women. Even though I charge men less per cut I spend 20 min on them and 40 on women! I still make more per hour on the men! It would make it easier if they would pass a law here in Arkansas about the gender thing. Women are just as bad as men wanting to spend only 10 bucks on their 12 year old son's hair! Women do take longer because most of the short haired ones don't want to look butch. (Their word's not mine). It takes longer to make it look feminine. Most of the people here charge 25 for a woman with shampoo/style included. I give them a choice of 22 with blowdry or 32 with shampoo blowdry and curling iron.