Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Scissors over Comb
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:30:42 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Scissors over Comb
Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 7:18:00 AM
Someone please help me! I'm not a new hairstylist, I've been cutting hair for several years now but the scissors over comb technique was never taught to me in school or in the field and I believe it is extremely important to know in order to clean up a clipper cut. Someone please try to explain to me as much as possible how to do this? When I've tried to do it, it ends up looking like I'm chopping up the hair unevenly instead of leaving the hair smooth and even. Does anyone know where I can have someone show me how to do this in South Florida?

Donn
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 10:58:00 AM
I do not know where you can go, but you must remember to keep your scirror and comb moving all the time. Keeping the scirror parelle with you comb and never going over the top of the comb. If you stop moving at all, you will get the little nick marks. It helps to have a lond blade to do this work. You shoul only be skimming the outer egde of the hair, not pressing the comb into the hair. Barbering shears are great, because of the length of the blade. I use a 6 inch blade to cut hair so I just use that. You should look for some barbering books or videos.

sparklehair
Silver Member

Posted: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 7:03:00 PM
You could buy tapes from American crew or attend a class with them. www.americancrew.com Their education is excellent,a book comes with the tapes too. good luck.Another idea, why not ask one of the old barbers in your town to show you?

Kim O.

Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2002 5:24:00 AM
I took a class once from Ivan Zoot and HE'S THE BEST!!! Won three world records in barbering. Unfortunately, he's in Ohio(?), but he does travel around in local distributors' shows.

I like what Donn said. I think that's the secret in a nutshell.

Kim O.

Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2002 5:25:00 AM
One other thing to add, hold comb and scissors at a diagonal, not horizontal.

hairtonic

Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 8:10:00 AM
go work for a barber one that is willing to train you. I swear i couldnt cut hair untill this guy taught me . Its all basiclly about control, angleing( <- DID I SPELL THAT RITE)visual knowledge of what you are creating. Its about useing you mirror to get the proper shape of the cut almost like a sculpture .This barbeing guy taught me the one ,two ,three ,method If I had an illistation of a head i would show you.It so easy and fast its just three basic steps. I would love to show you cause I no how I felt when I didnt Know !!And then when I was taught It gave me a real solid base for the profession. something school dosnt do

TLH
Bronze Member

Posted: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 7:33:00 AM
Yeah, I was lucky, we had a retired barber at my school, so in addition to the classic Pivot point techniques, I got to learn the barber style -- so different. Yet both together allow me to cut a style and then personalize it.

stylin2impress

Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 9:52:00 PM
I am a master barber, and the technique is essential to many different cuts for women and men. I have to agree with hairtonic, this can't be described in words. You need to find a barber to teach you. The technique is mostly visual, keeping in mind to know where to hold your comb & at which angle. Your angle is going to depend upon the style you are achieving. Clipper over comb also makes a nice finish on a cut also.Do you have a barber school in your area?

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2002 10:23:00 PM
Personally, I never use the scissor-over-comb technique. I DO use thinning shear-over-comb and clipper-over-comb, though.

bj

Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 10:14:00 AM
My old bosses were trained as barbers. When we weren't busy they made us run the scissor up a wall.
Also be sure your comb is not the same color as the hair. And on the scissor hand, only move your thumb.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 12:46:00 AM
All good advice...Also you don't stand in front of the hair you are cutting scissor-over-comb, you stand to one side of it. Moler Barber College puts out a professional barber styling textbook but it's pretty poor quality.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 12:51:00 AM
Good advice is get long shears, barber's often use the Fillipino type which are 10 inches long. If you try to do it with cosmetology shears which tend to be short you'll cut too many panels and get vertical ridges as well as the possibility of horizontal steps because your hand will be in the way. With long blades your hand is out of the way.

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 12:53:00 AM
Also, watch a barber at work...He works at arm's length away from his big chair, with his arms way out in front of him, not up close like a Cosmetologist with a small chair and short shears. Just go into a barber shop and stand behind his chair and you'll see what I mean.

Anonymous

Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2004 10:09:00 PM
Try to find a Jim Jones instructional video.Its awsome years ago when I got out of beauty school I had never even learned how to do a clipper cut or hold a clipper or trimmer.Thats when flattops were very popular.In this video he will show you three different clippered styles one right after the other on the same boy.First he will do a basic haircut,then he will right into a clipper cut out of the basic,then a flattop haircut from the second cut mentioned.This is brilliant not only for fad styles but for military cuts as well.He will also prove that a pitiful combover is fooling noone least of all themselves.And another thing thats very useful how to cut a beard and how to:edge up the beard line along with nape and sideburns like a professional barber.After a couple of times watching this video I was a clippering fool. LOL.I became an ace and was very popular with mens cuts with these basic techniques and still to this day all these years later I cut the same mens hair they are very loyal.Jim Jones is also a great motivational speaker.He used to have cassete tapes Im not sure if they are still available.Anyway this video is a must in your video library.Hope you can find one.Let me know your how your doing o.k.