Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Having trouble with bobs
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:30:41 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Having trouble with bobs
Anonymous

Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 11:12:00 PM
No matter when I cut a one-length bob, one side is always longer than the other. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? I always have to go back and re-cut the one side and it will be off about 1/2 an inch. It doesnt look good when I have to go back several times to get it right. Please give me some suggestions. Thanks..

sexysadie

Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 11:39:00 PM
look at your standing postion. First make sure the back is the way you want it before you move onto the sides. Usually you step one step to the right cut the right. Then you take one step to the left to cut the left. When you do that your body is now back to the center and not on the left. Then you start to drag the hair back creating a longer left side. You need to steps to the left. Make sure your staying in your boundaries when you are cutting alway. example if you are on the back of the head below the occipital bone your boundaries would be your center part and your outside hair line as you move up the head your boundaries will be your center part and your quarter part. take it slow. Quality alway veres Quanity

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 11:43:00 PM
easy enough.... make sure their legs are not crossed and that they sit up straight. A straight line is the hardest to cut, just remember that

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 7:06:00 AM
Also make sure you get your guide line straight, and the rest should be pretty easy to follow, just use your mirror to check your lengths.

Tweedle Dee

Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 7:40:00 PM
I agree with all the above posts, Also I would be lost without my "ruled" combs- when I cut my quide I measure it, and pull a piece from both sides to the chin (standing right in front of the patron) to double check- when I'm happy with that it's a breeze to do the rest of the cut.

Anonymous

Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 10:39:00 PM
I have the same problem. I went to a matrix class that said if you have a problem with one side being longer to always cut it first. I take hair down in sections and check the first section perimeter length before I bring the next section down.

d.s.

Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 8:48:00 PM
I never really paid attention to my standing position!That is so cool how sexysadie explained in her post. I hope it makes a differnce for me. I cant wait to try that :)

Anonymous

Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 11:57:00 PM
Try using a cutting collar too,if the client is not siting straight the collar will move so you can tell at a glance.

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 5:04:00 PM
If you start at the nape in the centre, parting the back section down the middle and work your way from the centre outwards, you cannot go wrong. Make sure your clients' posture is good. Have her back straight to the back of the chair and feet flat not crossed in any way. take fine sectioning, about 1\8" to 1\4" width when dropping them down and cut each one about 1\16" longer than the last. Make sure you are standing straight and directly behind your client and keep your head straight. I tend to move with the hair and that used to be a problem because I was looking at the bob tilted!!!! LOL

Anonymous

Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2004 7:22:00 AM
I really, really need help in this area. I have tried all the ideas from the posts, but I am still having problems. I think it could be coming from my partings??? I part an inch behind the ear, but one side always looks like more. and then I go back and try to fix it but it still doesnt work. I need help please!

HairMaven
Gold Member

Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2004 1:01:00 PM
The problem comes from your scissors. When you have one side longer or with more hair. Your scissor technique is the culprit.

When you go to cut a section of hair, your scissor blades will push the hair out of the scissor and create a curved cut line. No matter how sharp your scissors are this will happen to some degree. If I start cutting my bob going from right to left, the left side will be longer. So to fix this, start your bob with a center 'flat' section, use this as your guide for the length. From that center section, cut center out towards the ears on both sides. By always cutting center out towards the front you will match the pushing of the scissor on each side.

You can see an example of this on my website under the Free videos sections. Granted the video there is a 'razor' bob. but the sectioning and cutting center out is the same as a scissor bob (but much cleaner).

Hope this helps.

http://www.hairmaven.com

mdg

Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 4:51:48 PM

Hairmaven, I have tried to see the video on your site but it won't give it to me. I have windows player. How do I get it. My coworkers would really like to view it.

Thanks

britboy
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, November 13, 2005 10:43:05 PM

The most common reason for this problem is that on one side you are usually cutting 'downhill', but on the other, 'uphill'. Here's what I mean...

A rght-handed cutter cuts the left-hand side of the nape hair sections 'downhill' and follows around to the side sections still cutting toward the front, or 'downhill'. Conversely when they begin to cut the right side of the nape sections they'll usually turn their hand backwards to cut the sections downhill but when they get to the sides of the right side they begin to cut 'uphill' from the front toward the back... this is where the sides begin to differ in length.

A good way to avoid this problem is to cut the front length first by standing in front of the client and snipping the forelock hair to the desired length, then when joining the back to the front you'll have a target to aim for, rather than guessing it from front to back...

Lanrazor

Posted: Monday, November 14, 2005 9:54:23 AM

Damn good advice Britboy! Vidal sassoon started this years ago and I had some training with Yosh who happened to apprentice with him. He used the same technique.

Tempus Dicit; Sapientia Audit

cosmoteach

using the comb
Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 9:19:09 AM
The best way to get the perfect bob is to watch the clients body position and to use the comb to get the line level and not your fingers because everyones fingers curve and some curve extremely. Comb the section down with your fingers above the comb. Sight the line level with the comb, remove the comb and then cut below the fingers