Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > No-show clients!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By:
Posted By:BTCAdmin on: 9/3/2004 4:30:41 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: No-show clients!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous

Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 1:02:00 PM
we do reminder calls and everything but still get people that don't show. mostly people that call at the last minute don't show. how do hold them to paying a fee if they have never beenthere before or if they have been there before why wouldn't they go to another salon to avoid paying the fee. help i am frustrated

Anonymous

Posted: Monday, May 13, 2002 8:58:00 PM
Good luck! They WILL go to another salon to avoid a fee. If they are no showing on you, they are obviously not loyal clients, and could probably care less if you cut their hair or the borics down the street. If you figure out how to actually get someone to pay you a fee for not showing up, please share.

m
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 9:03:00 AM
I have had most of the habitual no shows pay and even two of the men who tried to pay triple(more than once-to keep a standing appt. slot that they continued to 'forget'). What usually happens with the women after that appt. where they've paid for the missed as well as the current appt. is that they don't come back-which in their cases is what is best for all. I know it's difficult if you're not fully booked and I'm not happy to give money away, however I look at it this way...I'm not making money when they stand me up and I could've called someone on the waiting list. I'm not rude to the no show, I just explain. On the third 'no show' I send them a note explaining the policy. Then it is their choice whether or not to come back, as well as pay the charges etc. This works best for me and weeds out the impolite clients and makes room for the loyal ones. On another but similar note, I've 'fired' clients as well. The complainers who are never satisfied no matter what you do-we all have those. If the situation becomes more of an ulcer than a professional healthy relationship-it's time for them to find someone else. I send them a note or speak to them and recommend someone else who would be able to give them the service they 'desire'. We have to do what 'works' for us as individuals.

Donn
Silver Member

Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 10:19:00 AM
I guess it all comes down to your relationship with your clients. As I have said I charge a rebooking fee and I have never had anyone bail on me. I am very good at what I do and my clients know this. They now have also come to the understanding that I do not charge , because I make more money this way, it is just a gentle reminder that if they book with me I expect them to be there.
I have never fired a client ,but I have raised some prices on a few. I needed to know that I would be compensated enough for putting up with them. I ofcourse lost a few doing this, but that was just fine.
I have finally come to the realization that, I am worth more than what some people would like to think. And if a client doesn't agree with that , then there is another that will.

m
Bronze Member

Posted: Tuesday, May 14, 2002 11:00:00 PM
Right Donn! I follow that pattern as well. I've had a couple of 'difficult' clients return and I raised their prices as you've done. Somehow, no complaints and they are so much more pleasant to be around. As it's been said-they've been away from you so they don't know what's happened (ie: pricing etc)since they've been gone. All told, I've only had maybe 6-7 people in the last 5 years that have been 'problematic'. I don't believe we should be 'walked on' and there are still some of the older clients as well as others who think this is not a 'real' job and don't respect it as such. They're learning little by little especially when they are presented with a much more professional atmosphere than they've been accustomed to in other 'beauty parlors'-(ha ha!) It's great to hear other's views on these type situations. Thanks!!

Sylvia/BCH

Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 8:03:00 AM
Hi there,
We have a 1 hr. policy to cancel. Everyone who takes an appointment takes their phone and personal info, adds it into the computer, and states that we have a one hour cancellation policy. Otherwise, their account will be charged.

I think it is a reasonable policy.

We tastefully have a placard on the front door and at the front desk stating the same policy. It seems to work pretty well. We have had to charge some people, and they have all agreed so far to pay. They are charged the customary fee of the service that was to be rendered.
For the most part, people will race to get the call in before the hour.
Hope this helps someone.
Sylvia/BCH

sparklehair
Silver Member

Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 8:22:00 AM
But how does 1 hour help anything? I have had a 2 hour appointment cant 1 hour before, and it is too short notice to fill it, I think a 12 or 24 hour is reasonable.I have always told new clients of the policy but until they come back in how do you charge them?I also take all the info down and have even sent them a bill but noone has ever paid it.JMO

CurlyQ

Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 10:10:00 AM
Wouldn't it be nice/funny if you could recommend your problem clients to the local Helix salon for services? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL They'd come RUNNING back, begging for you to fix them!

Sylvia/BCH

Posted: Friday, May 17, 2002 8:15:00 PM
Hi there Sparklehair,
Well, I think in each situation and geographic area the timing would need to be applied according to the needs of that area. In our situation, we are in a hotel, so the appointment can easily be filled within 15 min, due to our waiting lists from both our local clientele and from our hotel guests.
That works for us. Each salon needs to do what works best for them.
We have had this policy for years and it has always worked for us.
Best wishes
Sylvia/BCH

m
Bronze Member

Posted: Saturday, May 18, 2002 8:32:00 PM
We have a 24 hour cancellation policy and is stated at the bottom of their appointment cards as well. It works-also taking the personal info, phone numbers etc. help to confirm appts. the night before and so on. Sparkle-if a client has been a no-show twice already, I mail them a postcard(or speak with them on the phone) stating they will have to pay for the total of the 2nd missed appt. as well as the total of the appt. they are trying to schedule if they want us to do their hair. They either pay or don't come back again. This hasn't been a problem as it's made very clear. Fortunately there's only 1 bad apple very infrequently so we don't have to go through it very often.

TerryH

Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 11:00:00 AM
Our salon doesn't charge for no shows. But if someone does it twice (and this is after a confirmation call the night before), they are told politely that they will no longer be able to make an appointment. They are free to walk in and see if someone is available, but they are no longer to book time out ahead of time. We have a few people (I think they are related) who call and book under different names after being told that. The lengths some people will go to!! I can't figure out why they keep coming back!

Anonymous

Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 10:21:00 PM
In my salon we also take a credit card # in the case of a big ticket service and state to them when they make the appointment that if they dont call 24 hours ahead to cancel we will have to charge them for our time. that seems to help in the "no show" department!

Terry

Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2002 12:10:00 PM
When I worked at a day spa, we also took credit card numbers and had a written 24 hour policy and told them about it at time of booking. But the owner told me that she wasn't even sure if that was legal. She said she'd try to charge for the missed appt. but figured if they fought it she'd lose. Does anyone know about the legality of this?

Anonymous

Posted: Friday, May 24, 2002 12:52:00 AM
We don't take an appointment w/o a credit card. At the time of booking we tell them they've got 24hrs. before their appointment to cancel w/o penalty. If they miss, we charge 50% of their services. The only time we will waive the cost is if that spot and service can be rebooked in that 24 hr period. Clients are told every time they book and are reminded of this policy through the confirmation call. This has been the policy for nearly 3 yrs. If it's part of your policy and you have made it know to the client, how can it be illegal? We are one of many spas in this big city w/ this exact policy. To my knowledge, none of us has had a law suit.

Nicky Meinzer

Posted: Sunday, April 04, 2004 4:23:00 PM
I used to have a problem with no-shows. Now I handle it differently, and it helps. If they're not a regular client, as one of the first respondants said, its likely they'll go somewhere else. If they're a regular, they're more loyal, and less likely to do that. It just takes some judgement. If they've been a good client and haven't done it before, then I just let them know its ok, but I did have to turn someone away, and we require a 24 hour notice, but I'll give it to them this time cause "you're a good client". If it happens again, then I have to say "I'm sorry but I have to charge you for that missed appointment. Each time you do this I turn someone away, if you let me know you can't make it at least I can have time to put someone else in. But I told a client I was busy, and now I'm not getting paid for that hour." The guilt trip works well. A lot of them really don't know that's what happens, and don't realize that their no-showing has such a huge impact on you. They don't really think about the fact that as I've had to pull out on really bad offenders "it'd be like if you went to work and your boss said 'I'm going to have to make you sit around for an hour and not pay you'". In extreme cases, I don't want them anyway. They take up the time that could be spent doing a good customer, who has more respect for you and your time. So your client comes every other cut- fire them, or say "I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to take a credit card number for a deposit", or tell them you'll see them on a walk in basis only. I don't want em, they lose me more money than they give me. And sometimes your regular clients that have a problem with no showing do pay on a regular basis because they understand what it does to you, and you get paid for sitting around eating, which is just fine with me. People who have a problem with not showing up are often the ones that run 20 minutes late- who needs that. Its simple- they're scheduling an appointment for a time they say they can come, if they don't make it its their problem, not ours. Stuff happens every once in a while, and even your best clients have a bad day, and not charging the ones that are repeat offenders is good business. But you have to have confidence in yourself. You are a good hairdresser who is in demand, and telling those flaky ones they need to pay for their missed appointments enforces that.
Another tip I have is if you have a walk-in who comes in on a friday, but your shop has no openings, and they make an appointment for the next day, its very likely they will find somewhere else, so either figure there's a 50/50 chance this person won't come in, or really emphasize to call, or take a credit card number. Cause its usually the new clients who really can cost you a lot, and in that case they are looking for something now, and making a back up plan if they can't find something now.

Heather

Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2004 10:19:00 PM
I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THIS ALSO...I HAVE 1 CLIENT IN MIND THAT WILL SHOW UP BUT WILL CALL AT THE TIME SHE IS SUPPOSED TO BE SITTING IN MY CHAIR...AND SAY SHE IS RUNNING 5-10 MINUTES LATE...THEN 30-40 MINUTES LATER WILL SHOW UP. NO APOLOGIES..NOTHING...THIS HAS HAPPENED EVERY SINGLE TIME FOR ALMOST A YEAR...BUT NOW BY THE TIME SHE DECIDED TO SHOW UP, I ALREADY HAVE MY NEXT CLIENT IN MY CHAIR, AND NO MATTER WHAT I SAY SHE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND...I FEEL LIKE CHARGING HER MORE FOR MAKING MY LIFE MORE STRESSFULL AND MAKING ME LATE TO PICK UP MY SON.. I JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO HANDLE IT, I AM NOT A CONFRONTATIONAL PERSON....ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS

Ida Dunno

Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2004 10:46:00 PM
Make her leave a credit card number, if she does not make app't charge her at least half, for missing her time. If you can still take her that day then you may not be able to charge her. But just telling her that she needs to leave her card # b/c of missing so many appts maybe she will be on time or you may lose her ???? Point is do you care if she comes back? Also state to her that you and the owner loses money so she will have to pay what you would normally do in that half hour. Check your state on rules of charging some states may differ, but it is what we would do at our salon and it worked great!

JD
Platinum Member

Posted: Sunday, August 29, 2004 10:55:00 PM
Heather~ Fire the client! This sounds harsh but in reality it isn't.
I had a weekly client that consistently showed up 15 mins late. I tried every trick in the book to get her to show on time. Like,told her appt time was at 11:00 am and booked her in at 11:15am. She still showed up late or didn't show up at all.
It finally got to the point where my weekly clients that were following her appt on fridays were making comments about always being late getting into my chair. So I basically fired this client. She showed up one time 20 minutes late and I turned around and told her face to face that she was late and I was not able to take her that day! She looked up at my clock and said that my clock was running fast. Her clock in the car said that it was 11:00am. Well I told her that if my clock was fast..then ALL my clients would be late and none of them are. I offered her to someone else but she reclined and I didn't see her for 1 year. She is now back with me and very rarely is late and if she is going to be she calls ahead of time.
Ya gotta be tough with these type of personalitlies or they will walk all over you.

alesia
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 6:45:00 AM
I agree with JD.
People like this live to twist the elastic of good nature that is in all of us.
It is a control/ego issue for them which they only get satisfaction from when you continue to bend to them.
They are basically telling you that you are worth far less than they are. And the nicer you are, the worse it will get. Nip it in the bud- tell her point blank that your son comes first and you no longer can accomodate her when she's late so you feel that she should just find another stylist, because you no longer are willing to service her.
She may cry, she may become irate, she may beg and she certainly will say that she will do better. Do not fall for it- she needs to go away from you to learn that you cannot & will not be manipulated in this way.
And really, think about this: You could be on the edge of losing other clients if you put up with this behavior. Why should the clients who come on time be punished because of this crackpot's self servant nature? Why should your son suffer waiting for a late mom?
You are not being confrontational (I'm willing to bet $100 bucks that you will not be the first to have said anything like this to her) you are just using your God given backbone. Your son comes first. period.

tnbwell

Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 7:25:00 AM
wtg! these clients that show up late are the ones that cause discord in the remainder of your day. You could show her your schedule(make sure you have no blank spaces) "your appt time is between 12:00-12:30 now it's 12:45 and the rest of the day belongs to these clients who are paying for their time and now you can see that you have missed your appt." I like to tell these people that they need to reschedule after about 13 mins late. Only if they are frequent offenders though, I run late too because of late clients,style changes,bathroom trips,physical difficulties of elderly or disabled clients,etc. I think it's only a real problem when someone shows up 15 mins late or more.I have a client that used to stand behind me and tell my client in my chair that he was trying to make me nervous because I was late for his standing 2:00 every other week H/C.This guy happened to be a Chiropracter. I told him that he should wait in the front room where everyone else waits. When I got him in my chair I told him that it was not only impolite, but people now were going to know of his unproffessionalism, the other client knew who he was and has a big mouth. That made him feel like an idiot. I finally had to tell this guy that if he wanted the appt. on the dot at his time he was going to have to be the first appt. of the day. Then he started showing up late. I had to turn him away only once, now I have never had him come more than 5 mins late, forgivable.Clients deserve a little flexibility when they are a few mins late, however if they are constantly trying to get you to bend, then they need to be put in line. Too late is too late, there is apoint when they miss the boat. :)B.well

kitty witty

Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 7:25:00 PM
In my salon we have a cancellation policy which states that clients must give 24 hours notice of cancellation or they will be charged for scheduled appt. Believe it or not it have helped out a lot. It's amazing how the no shows are remembering their appt. now. They need to understand that our time is as important as theirs.

Sigel

Posted: Monday, August 30, 2004 9:26:00 PM
When we first opened, our noshows cost us more than our rent. We keep track in the computer client notepad. NOSHOWING AN APPOINTMENT IS SHOPLIFTING! We only give our clients one freebie noshow. If they noshow again, they are charged for the missed appointment. Clients must give us four hours notice to cancel, and we will only hold an appointment for 15 minutes. It has gotten much better. It has not gone away though.

Anonymous

Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2004 10:18:00 AM
just a quickie off hand top of the head idea...
why not tell them it's a first come first serve basis. If they are late and the next client is there Take the next one ahead of the late one. IF and only IF there is time After you will take them. Up to them to wait around and see or reschedule. Even if you have to grab someone and give them a quick Blow Out just to make the point and let the offender know how it feels to NOT be in control.

robertaslt

Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2006 12:26:15 PM
da, takih aferistov est cto s 100 prihodiatr- neimees sdaci i uhodiat. But it problem, but it is not more time.

hues4you
Platinum Member

robertaslt
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2006 6:57:14 PM

Dear robertaslt-

Welcome to the BTC Talk Back Boards.  I am sorry, but I believe our members can only read the English language.  Hopefully you will be able to communicate with us that way.  Good luck.

Cindy Farr Hester   Asst Moderator

www.behindthechair.com