Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Layers on REALLY long hair
Posted By:
Posted By:xlolita on: 7/29/2011 11:55:44 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Layers on REALLY long hair
xlolita

Layers on REALLY long hair
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 11:55:44 PM
I've been doing hair for a little over a year, and need some help cutting long layers for someone with SUPER long hair...You know what, I just need some help cutting long layers in general. I work at a Great Clips salon, and the owners want our timing to be between 12-17 minutes for haircuts. I can do a men's cut in 15 minutes, but whenever a women comes in i get nervous. I'm having a hard time with long layers, especially on women with reallllllly long hair. I lose myself in the haircut, they want us to use bigger combs, to grab more hair, thus getting done faster...It seems to me that I'm always longer on one side, even with the perimiter of the cut. I'm just looking for some tips, what type of hair to do what type of layers...like if someone has fine hair and wants long layers, do I hold the section at a different degree then I would if it was someone with thick hair? Help!!! Reminder, I'm on a timer so this cut needs to get down between 12-20 minutes.

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 6:21:36 AM
that's a shame, that the whole focus of your haircutting is haw fast it can be done, not the quality of the cut or the relationship with the client. the idea with long layers is to establish a length for the top, create a perimeter length, and connect the two. this usually is done in pie sections, working from the interior to the exterior, pivoting from the crown outwards.normally this results in what some call a v cut layer shape, since the hair is cut going from shorter to longer on the diagonal going upward towards the outer length. hard to describe hope you can get a visual on that. practice with a mannequin. on another note. try not to focus on the timing so much, it's really not the bottom line if you want to be a good hairdresser.

xlolita

Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 5:09:09 PM
Believe me I know what your saying, and i 100% agree with you...but if I want to keep my job, I need to get my timing down. The whole thing they want is quality and quantity. And everyone I work with including managers at other shops ( it's a chain salon) is going above and beyond to help me out, so it's really nice. However, I went from working 2 days a week in a full service salon, where i was lucky if I got a walk in in 6 hours, to working full time in a salon that only does cuts. I was never taught how to do a fade, or the easiest way to do a fade...and we get mostly men's cuts, so that was my focus when I first started. Now that I got that down, and am able to finish within 20 minutes, I need to work on my women's cuts. Thanks so much for your help, and I look forward to other people's responses!!