Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Cutting children's hair
Posted By:
Posted By:CookieM on: 9/17/2010 1:44:07 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Cutting children's hair
CookieM

Cutting children's hair
Posted: Friday, September 17, 2010 1:44:07 PM
Anyone have any advice or tips on cuting kids' hair? When do you use scissors and when clippers?  Any info is appreciated.

szaszhareen

Posted: Sunday, September 19, 2010 12:33:37 AM
the biggest challenge is getting them to sit still. get a portable dvd player or something they can watch while you're cutting. you could even put on something on your phone if its that advanced. i find that spongebob will keep children staring ahead like zombies for a good fifteen or twenty minutes. first find out what their parent wants you to do. the parent will know what they want done whether it be a fade or a scissor cut, or even a razor cut. after you consult with the parent, go for it! tell them not to move and adjust their head when you need to and you'll be good to go.

heatherdazy
Silver Member

Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 2:16:06 PM
It really depends on your location. When I worked in a mall, I flat out began refusing children because they were fidgeting, screaming little brats who would start thrashing the second I got near them. I once had a 12 year old throw a temper tantrum...!

Now that I'm in a neighborhood, I can cut blunt bangs with my scissors right up on a 5 year old's eyelid with no worries. Actually, I was really high on redbull that day... don't try this at home, kids.

If the hair texture is appropriate, razor cuts can be great because they're so damn quick and add a little interest what's otherwise almost always a super basic cut, plus if you have a carving comb, they're very safe.