Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Thin Hair Clients! I need help!
Posted By:
Posted By:missnenni2u on: 2/11/2010 1:37:20 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Thin Hair Clients! I need help!
missnenni2u

Thin Hair Clients! I need help!
Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 1:37:20 PM

help! I am a fairly new stylist and for some reason I have tons of clients with extremely thin/fine hair. Of course, they all want huge voluminous hair and always ask what haircut is best for their type of hair. I have gotten several responses from some of my co-workers and they all contradict each other. Some say layers is the way to go, others say layering will only make the hair look even thinner. Also is short or longer best? And is there a certain hair color that will give the appearance of fuller hair??

blondebarber

Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:35:37 PM
I think the reason you are getting contradictory advice is because there are different needs for different people. It boils down to these factors.
1. The density of the hair.
2. The condition of the hair.
3. The clients life style.
4. The clients face shape.
For example:
You may have an elderly women with fine hair, in good condition, but she can't lift her arms to style her hair. You might suggest a uniform layer and a perm.
You may have a younger woman who wants to "wash & wear" a little mousse and go. Layers are appropriate in this case, however, if you're going to make her look bald, don't do it or make longer layers.
Listen closely to your client during the consultation. You can learn alot about how their hair responds to hair cuts or chemicals they've had in the past. Often times, they know what has or hasn't worked for them.
There are a number of thickening and volumizing products on the market that are wonderful. I use Catwalk.

Best wishes to you.

blondebarber

Posted: Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:44:15 PM
I'd add that sometimes highlighting will give some dimension and volume to the hair, but really pay attention to the condition of the hair.