Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Lacking in styling skills
Posted By:
Posted By:darby on: 11/16/2009 3:49:41 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Lacking in styling skills
darby

Lacking in styling skills
Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 3:49:41 PM
I recently graduated cosmo school and have been apprenticing for about 4 months. We have gone over styling but this is still a weak point for me. Could you suggest some resources such as dvds or books I should purchase? BTW I am a male stylist so this is a bigger challenge for me for now. Thanks!

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 3:58:21 PM
as an apprentice,do you blowdry any clients for the stylists you work for? is there any way you can try to get some hands on instruction from them?that is the best way to learn,because you can see directly what happens when you use certain brushes, products etc.offer to blowdry some co workers during a slow time,if possible,to get a feel for it. as for videos, try youtube.practice makes perfect, so beat up your mannequins!

darby

Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 4:26:47 PM
LOL I beat up many mannequins. I have gotten much better with styling and yes they do help me often. I am making the most of my time off and keeping myself inspired. I started this new career at 33 so I feel like I am catching up. I am driven and doing tons of research. I have been researching youtube. I love Jonny Lavoy from Ford modeling agency. It's hard to know if you are getting good solid advice. I want to be able to break down like top 10 styles so I can have that foundation then build upon that. Eventually I am looking into editorial work but I need to work on my styling skills. I look in magazines and try recreating a look. I know there are sometimes different ways to get to the same goal in this business.

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 5:32:30 PM

are you looking for foundations like back combing, using pieces and rats,stuff like that?

i still say find your own signature style,the way you want to express yourself through hair, and play around with techniques you pick up, instead of trying to duplicate or copy things.

different sprays, different irons,will create totally different effects on the same chignon.learn a twist, a bun, a french braid, a beehive,and a marcel. take those pricipals and go anywhere your imagination takes you.

pixanne
Platinum Member

Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 6:06:34 PM
i wanted to add that kevin murphy classes are great- all editorial styling, and very inventive. look for a distributor or on his website for class info. i've taken a couple, and we were sewing hair up and using new tools, very refreshing.

jadekitty
Bronze Member

Posted: Monday, November 16, 2009 9:52:40 PM
For updos, I personally love Martin Parsons. He's like my god, lol. All the updos rely on the same foundation and his books are great. I own all of them, and the step-by-step instructions are easy to follow.
One other suggestion - the cold button on your blowdryer is your best friend! When I use a round brush, I hit every section with the cold air before the brush comes out. Makes the style hold so much better and adds shine. I also dry the hair about 80% dry with my fingers before I pick up the brush. It saves time and frustration.
"Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you're up to."