Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > How do I make hair HUGE??
Posted By:
Posted By:misspiggy on: 4/15/2009 11:34:45 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: How do I make hair HUGE??
misspiggy

How do I make hair HUGE??
Posted: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:34:45 PM
I'm in cosmetology school and we have a fashion show coming up where industry professionals come to judge and network.  One of our categories is "era" and I want to do 18th century, or basically Marie Antoinette.  I want to get my updo as enormous as possible.  My model has long hair but it is straight and thin.  Besides just adding in some extensions for more hair, any ideas for creating this look?

crystlemc

hi
Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 6:04:58 PM
My advice, as strange as it sounds, is to use a roll of toilet paper or something similar to mold the hair around. If you use the toilet paper, be careful not to wet the hair after it's in place or the paper will stick to the hair.

Basically, you position the roll at the crown, then tease and mold the hair up around it.

Good luck. Hope this helps!

coloru2
Silver Member

Posted: Thursday, April 16, 2009 10:35:01 PM
Another idea is to use a hair "rat." You can make your own by stuffing a nylon with something like cheap hair extensions that are teased. Make it as big as you want, pin it to the crown, then mold the hair around it. Of course, first you would need to prep the hair by teasing and curling it.

PM Girl

Posted: Friday, April 17, 2009 10:21:00 PM
Use pan scrubbers! No honestly, you can use the round plastic pan scrubbers, If you want it to blend in with the hair well, use neutral colored spray paint or wrap in an old pair of hoisery. They fill out the hair and they make a great base for your pins to stick into. If you want really massive hair use balloons, you can make them any size you want. Have fun with it! Think outside the box.

misspiggy

Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2009 2:16:27 PM
Thanks so much for your tips!  I had been thinking about sponges, but I'm going to play around with all of your ideas tonight to see what works!

lkmi

Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 3:25:57 PM
I did the marie antoinette hair for Halloween and had a similar problem because my hair is long, highlighted and fairly straight although it holds a curl. This is what I did after some trial and error: I water permed the sides of my hair vertically with white and blue perm rods. Then I crimped my hair with a hair crimper, after that had cooled I used a working hair spray and teased and brushed. This left it huge and although it relaxed the crimp a little, it gave it that wig look and texture. Then I styled the top super high and left some hair out in the back and curled it with a curling iron, pinning up some of the sections and leaving some down....to finish it off a sprayed it with white colored hairspray (the kind always around on halloween) it worked well and gave it that powdered look. Hope this helps!

misspiggy

Posted: Monday, April 20, 2009 10:55:20 PM
Thank you so much!  I just bought white spray color today after finding out the blonde spray color didn't look so good.  I hope all this works...the show is in 2 days!