Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > body positioning for cutting
Posted By:
Posted By:Carol611 on: 2/8/2009 1:26:40 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: body positioning for cutting
Carol611

body positioning for cutting
Posted: Sunday, February 08, 2009 1:26:40 PM
I was cutting my boss's hair the other day. She corrected my body position, told me I wasn't using my mirror enough, my elbow was not high enough, etc. I have been cutting 6 years. She is a lot taller than me, which could explain a little, but also has many, many more years of experience than I...

My question: Does it make a difference? I understand the idea of being consistent in position to create a balanced cut, and standing in front of the section you are cutting, but I've really never seen two people stand the exact same way.

I am used to doing things the way I've always done them. My work is good and my clients keep coming. But no one ever taught me how to stand correctly.

She is a pretty big ego. (Calling herself "advanced" among other things.) Is this just her way of making herself feel better? Is she trying to help me? Has anyone else had trouble with this? Is her way "better" or just "different" than mine?

6618molly

Just sharing something
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2009 10:43:39 AM
In Long Beach a couple of weeks ago, I spent some time in a haircutting class with a Beverly Hills hairdresser, Hiroshi. He is a great hairdresser and a very strong advocate of using your body as much as your hands and arms. Like many of us I'm in a 5X5 space.  I'm also a 200+ lb guy and to add to that I am also an older guy so my flexibility is somewhat limited. My point, I'm beginning to stretch before I begin my cuts, I "shake things out" and loosen up. Moving my body once I've placed my hands, generally perpendicular to my section part instead of trying to get my arms and hands to do all the work in awkward positions. It works. So yes Carol, body positioning is, IMHO, critical for great haircuts. As is good posture, we need to save ourselves as best we can from our years of our physical abuse. If we could just take the head off, remove the ears, fill in the thin spots, and in a few rare cases put something like a nice sock in the mouths - haircuts would be a breeze wouldn't they? One other suggestion if you take mine seriously is to wear appropriate clothing.
bill in az

PaulEndicott

Haircut / Art
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 8:25:41 AM

Much like Carol611 I never hold the same body positioning.  I have taken classes to learn how to hold my body properly.  The draw back I have found is that I end up concentrating on the way I hold my body instead of the actual service I am performing.  This is simply a hurdle any one could jump if they applied themselves.

However I will say that without "Proper" body positioning what ever that my be. I have a great deal of clientelle, that is constantly growing.  And there is the debate of Haircutting being an art form and even though there are rules to art, some of the greatest haircutters in the world have grown to create there own standards and techniques from Robert Cremeans, to Vidal Sassoon, to John Masters.  

6618molly

That's why....
Posted: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:38:22 AM

Same problem with my golf swing, so many things to remember, until it becomes habit.  Your absolutely right, that's why one on the reasons for my becoming a hairdresser is to use my own standards, refine those of others for myself finding the positions I can get into and am most comfortable with. If we define hairdressing as an art form, I would support the debate that we as hairdressers, stylist, etc., are artist definately, and like others we will practice our art.

bill in az