Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Best Way to Cut/coloring a human hair wig????
Posted By:
Posted By:amitaf78 on: 11/30/2008 2:46:18 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Best Way to Cut/coloring a human hair wig????
amitaf78

Best Way to Cut/coloring a human hair wig????
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2008 2:46:18 PM

So i need some help with cutting/ coloring a human hair wig for one of my clients, I've cut her hair once before like any of my clients where they sit in my chair and I shampoo, cut and style her wig. But I was wondering if it would be better for her if I cut if off her head and on to a wig stand instead. I hate to pull hair and I am always worried about pulling or moving the wig. Any info would be great. She now wants color and need to find a better way of doing things........

russnyc
Platinum Member

Human & Synthetic description
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 4:11:34 AM
This really depends on the length and if you're going to blend it into any of her hair on the sides or back.

If it's long (shoulder length) there is a bungee cord type of chinstrap that the client can wear that will pull the wig taut on her head. It has two alligator clips on each side that grip the wig at the sideburns for a stylist to be able to cut it on her head.

If the wig is thick or long, do a precut using thinning shears (you can ruin regular scissors on synthetic hair)

If it is a short haired wig, gradually pull OUT rather than following a perpendicular line when layering. This will leave an area you can blend into any of her own hair.

Razors also work great on wigs but BE CAREFUL not to cut more than an inch or so from the netting as you will have problems with the way the wig flows or pieces stick up.

You can set a synthetic wig using foam rollers and a hot dryer. DO NOT do a comb out though, gingerly take the rods out after it has cooled down and finger style it .

If you are planning on working with more than one wig, buy the wig base covered in fabric. it's easier to work with than a styrofoam head and the t pins hold better as well.

If it is a human hair wig, either practice on a synthetic wig or cut the wig in with PLENTY of wiggle room and have her come back for another visit if it's too thick or long.

NEVER cut a straight line on a wig. Instead, BLUR the line with textured cutting because unless the client is very careful putting it on, it's going to look crooked like Halle Berry's wig in that 1st superhero movie (they used a shorter one in the sequel, LOL).

Use a semipermanent color on wigs to darken or change tone, and remember most wigs are bleached hair with very little pigment underneath. Do not use more than 20v with lighteners and use sparingly as most wigs use a coating for sheen and you will take it off and roughen the cuticle if you overdo it with color.

Netting and Polyurethane plastic bases stain. Use foil or keep color away from the base, ESPECIALLY the front hairline.

Use Woolite to clean wigs, it's the wigmaker's little secret and it WORKS.

Good Luck!

russnyc
Platinum Member

D
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 4:11:35 AM

amitaf78

thanks
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 12:45:00 PM
OMG thank you! i am so thankful i got a response. I didn't want to take this on blindedly.

amitaf78

thanks
Posted: Tuesday, December 02, 2008 12:45:02 PM
OMG thank you! i am so thankful i got a response. I didn't want to take this on blindedly.

sherry280

Best Celebrity Wigs
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2013 9:59:35 PM
Cheap celebrity wigs. - http://www.onlywig.com/celebrity-wigs-c-3.html