Discussion Board:
Bulletin Boards > Cut and Style > Help! Crooked haircuts.
Posted By:
Posted By:kristilee on: 9/20/2008 4:46:48 PM

Display:
Author: Thread: Help! Crooked haircuts.
kristilee

Help! Crooked haircuts.
Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2008 4:46:48 PM
It seems like my haircuts are always longer on one side.....I try to keep the right guide but anymore tips? Thanks!

popgyrl
Bronze Member

Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 8:34:43 AM
This is very common because you cut in different directions from side to side. Everybody has a dominant hand, and when working on the opposite side there is a tendency to tilt down a bit. There are some things you can do to make this better, though:

1. Work on your scissoring technique. Hold your shears and practice only moving your thumb. The rest of your hand should not move. Doing this exercise will make your cutting hand steadier.

2. Cut slightly on the back stroke. When cutting you should never be pushing the scissor through the hair, so try making a habit of pulling back a tiny bit as you close your shears. This should be a very gentle motion. Imagine it as how you would stroke a bow over a very tiny violin. :)

3. Establish a visual guide on your client and keep your eye it as you cut. The brow, cheekbone, jaw or collarbone will usually be places where you are cutting to enhance on your client, so when you change sides take a good look where you are ending up. Then imagine drawing a line from your previous guide to your visual guide.

4. Double check your clients posture every once in a while during the cut. Make sure their shoulders are back, legs are uncrossed and the head is in the correct position.

5. Sometimes the length looks crooked when its actually the weight in the layers that are off. So before you make yourself crazy going back and forth and cutting little bits off of the sides, check the WHOLE haircut. Always check the cut and perform any final adjustments on dry hair.

Then have your client standup and take a really good critical look at your haircut. You will be amazed at the difference it makes to look at the cut with the client standing!

Hope this helps. :)

kristilee

thanks!!
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2008 9:15:55 PM

Thanks for the great tips! I will keep them on mind tomorrow for work!! Thanks again.