BTC Style Tip:
Seriously, who could resist the over-the-shoulder style rocked on the red carpet by a gaggle of celebs this season? Maya Rudolph’s soft and touchable cascading curls made it to the top of our best-tressed list. Dean Banowetz, celebrity stylist and creator of the InStyler IQ Professional Rotating Iron, says this look works best on fine to medium-textures and medium to long lengths. “I love it with strapless, backless or asymmetrical dresses,” he adds. “And it’s perfect for a client who’s showing off great earrings.” Here’s how he’d recreate the look.
Dean’s tool of choice: InStyler IQ Professional Rotating Iron
1. Shampoo and condition the hair. “Use a product that enhances body and volume,” Dean says. “Also, day-old hair can be great for upstyling, but it cannot be too dirty.”
2. Apply a root lifter, then blow-dry to create as much volume as possible. “Ask your client to turn her head upside-down and blow-dry to maximize volume,” Dean suggests. Allow the hair to cool before flipping the head back up.
3. Power the InStyler IQ to the appropriate setting for your client’s hair type.
4. Lightly mist a 1-inch section of hair with working spray. Wrap the section around the barrel of the InStyler IQ, close the tool and allow the rotating barrel to create a large, shiny curl. After several seconds, open the InStyler IQ and drop the curl.
5. Repeat until the entire head is curled.
6. Create a deep side part. “The emphasis on the part is key to this look, so make it nice and clean,” Dean says.
7. Bring all the hair over to one shoulder and secure with five bobby pins. “Line the bobby pins in a row, up the side of the head,” says Dean. “Remember, the look is loose and free-flowing so don't overdo it with too many pins or too much spray!”
8. Mist with finishing hairspray to control flyaways and set the look in place.
The Braid Brigade: BTC's Guide to Everything Braids
3 Styles Inspired by The Hunger Games
BTC Profile: Celeb Stylist Dean Banowetz
Subscribe to behindthechair.com On Paper and get a FREE TEE! SUBSCRIBE NOW!