Vintage Couture Hair How-Tos from America's Next Top Model LIVE Photo Shoot
Fans of America’s Next Top Model will soon get an extra dose of high drama and high fashion for its live adaptation. In what promises to be the battle royale to end all battle royales, the live show—slated for May 4-6 in Toronto—will give viewers an insider look at the alluring world of fashion, beauty, modelling and, of course, drama.
To prep for the big event, Canada’s Sutherland Modelling Agency gathered its top 12 finalists for a pre-show photo shoot. Schwarzkopf Professional is a presenting sponsor for the live show, so it’s only natural that two top Schwarzkopf salons—Toronto’s Haartek Salon and Capucci Salon and Spa—were on site at the photo shoot to create the gorgeous “Vintage Couture” hairstyles.
“The models were fun and energetic and gave us this great synergy in working together,” says Patrizia Odorico of Haartek Salon. “The hairstyles are Vintage Couture—classic looks we then modernized with unstructured elements. We took pretty styles and added some rawness to them.” When asked which her favorites were, Patrizia choose the “Sophisticated Faux-Hawk” and the “Flapper Pigtail.” Here’s how you can recreate each look!
Best for: medium to long hair
1. Create a zig-zag part from the top of the head down to the nape to divide hair into two sections.
2. Create one ponytail on the top right-hand side just at the eyebrow to keep it off center.
3. The other ponytail is below the ear, closer to the nape.
4. Spray OSiS Glamour Queen to the ponytails to set the hair and prepare it for the next steps.
5. Curl sections of the ponytail using a 1-inch curling iron.
6. With a teasing comb, frizz out the curls to create a cushion effect to the hair.
7. Pick random pieces from the ponytails and secure them to the head using bobby pins. Because of the teasing you can put them anywhere and it will stay without needing to cross the bobby pins.
8. When teasing hair, you can dull the look so it is best to finish the style with OSiS Sparkler shine spray to give it the added shine it needs.
Best for: medium to short hair
1. Curl hair using a 1-inch curling iron (or a smaller barrel depending on the length).
2. Sprinkle OSiS Dust It powder to the roots to give hair extra body and texture.
3. Flip hair over and give it a good shake with your fingertips.
4. Pull the sides of the back and insert bobby pins to the sides and back of the head to hold in place.
5. Spray OSiS Freeze to the sides to keep style in place.
6. Let the curls at the front talk to you! Don’t fuss with them too much, because the more you play with the style the more you’ll mess it up. Imperfection is perfection.
Schwarzkopf Professional is gearing up for America’s Next Top Model Live. Essential Looks Artist and Canadian Hairstylist of the Year winner Rossa Jurenas will lead the backstage hairstyling team and present her creative vision in the Schwarzkopf Professional Runway Presentation. Their team of industry experts will also style hair for the Main Stage show for the ANTM All-Stars, ANTM Dancers, Sutherland Supermodel Search Finalists and celebrity talent performers.
Get more styling education in the BTC Bookstore...
"How to Do Vintage Waves" from Sharon Blain: Channel the starlets of the '20s, '30s, '40s, '50s and '60s when you learn these six classic wave techniques.
Subscribe to behindthechair.com On Paper and receive a FREE T-shirt! SUBSCRIBE NOW!